• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question(s) about adding a resale contract

clarker01

Earning My Ears
Hello,
Please forgive me if these are ‘rookie’ questions, lol. We have 160 SSR points (March UY) that we directly purchased from DVC back in 2011, so we are blue card members. We are pondering purchasing an add-on contract of around 75-100 points depending on price, etc. Firstly, does anything change with my membership benefits? Am I still a blue card even though we would have a resale contract on our account as well? Also, would there be any restrictions on the add-on points? I know Disney has changed things as far as being able to book the newer (Riviera, etc) resorts. Can I use the add-on contract the same as my direct contract? Thanks for any help.
Rich

Hello,
Please forgive me if these are ‘rookie’ questions, lol. We have 160 SSR points (March UY) that we directly purchased from DVC back in 2011, so we are blue card members. We are pondering purchasing an add-on contract of around 75-100 points depending on price, etc. Firstly, does anything change with my membership benefits? Am I still a blue card even though we would have a resale contract on our account as well? Also, would there be any restrictions on the add-on points? I know Disney has changed things as far as being able to book the newer (Riviera, etc) resorts. Can I use the add-on contract the same as my direct contract? Thanks for any help.
Rich
Blue card will never be affected as long as you have those 160 SSR points.
Adding on through Disney (Direct) will have zero affect on restrictions, etc.
Adding on resale will just keep you from using those "add-on" points at Riviera, DisneyIand Hotel, Fort Wilderness Cabins. (so far)

When you have a mix of direct and resale points on your membership then not too much will change in your experience with the site until you go to book something at a restricted resort (Riviera, Disneyland Hotel, etc.). You will still be able to look at what you can book for these but when you actually go to book the room only your eligible contracts will show up to pull points from.

On my other UY/membership I can't even look at Riviera or VDH as it doesn't currently have any eligible/direct points.

Blue card will never be affected as long as you have those 160 SSR points.
Adding on through Disney (Direct) will have zero affect on restrictions, etc.
Adding on resale will just keep you from using those "add-on" points at Riviera, DisneyIand Hotel, Fort Wilderness Cabins. (so far)
Great, that’s what I was thinking and hoping but best to consult the experts here! Thanks

When you have a mix of direct and resale points on your membership then not too much will change in your experience with the site until you go to book something at a restricted resort (Riviera, Disneyland Hotel, etc.). You will still be able to look at what you can book for these but when you actually go to book the room only your eligible contracts will show up to pull points from.

On my other UY/membership I can't even look at Riviera or VDH as it doesn't currently have any eligible/direct points.
That’s interesting, I was wondering about that aspect of it too. Wasn’t sure if you could book and then they would cancel the res after the fact. Probably better this way. Thanks very much!

Always remember that it is the points themselves that come with the restrictions and with the eligibility for membership extras.

So, any points owned that were purchased prior to April 2016, make you eligible for membership extras and can be used anywhere.

Any resale points purchased after January 2019, can not be used at the restricted resorts, no matter what else is owned. Those resorts are currently, RiV, VDH, and CFW.

Always remember that it is the points themselves that come with the restrictions and with the eligibility for membership extras.

So, any points owned that were purchased prior to April 2016, make you eligible for membership extras and can be used anywhere.

Any resale points purchased after January 2019, can not be used at the restricted resorts, no matter what else is owned. Those resorts are currently, RiV, VDH, and CFW.
Thank you. Things were complicated enough before, why did Disney have to make it even MORE complicated? Lol

Thank you. Things were complicated enough before, why did Disney have to make it even MORE complicated? Lol
Disney turns everything into advanced calculus, even if basic math would seem appropriate :-)

Like you, we purchased direct (Oct 23) at RIV for the benefits. Looking at direct and resale trends over the past few years, it's difficult to justify direct in many situations. Many situations, but not all. It really all depends on several different variables. We were hesitant of the resale restrictions with RIV in the future, but enjoy the resort and skyliner access enough to where we feel that 15-20 years from now we would still enjoy owning there. Things change and only time will tell. Good luck figuring it all out! Disney research is half the fun for me 8-)

One thing that might increase complication would be use year. If you add on contract is matching your current use year, then great.
But if your add on contract is a different use year you'll have a new membership number and need to transfer points back and forth to yourself or just make separate reservations.

One thing that might increase complication would be use year. If you add on contract is matching your current use year, then great.
But if your add on contract is a different use year you'll have a new membership number and need to transfer points back and forth to yourself or just make separate reservations.
Indeed. We have a March Use Year which suits our May family trips. But, my wife and I enjoy going in December and January so a Use Year later in the year would be better for that... Probably still stick with a March UY resale to keep it as simple as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter