Questions about ABD California Backstage Magic

Cool, so you just get entry between dinner and Fantasmic? You can't get into the park any earlier in the day?

Cool, so you just get entry between dinner and Fantasmic? You can't get into the park any earlier in the day?

Correct. You'll walk over to the park entrance as a group where they'll pass out your tickets good until the last day of the ABD. There's really no time to go into the parks prior to that.

When I was on the trip this past February we didn't get to Disneyland until about 20-30 minutes prior to our dinner. We had 5 minutes to throw stuff into our rooms and head down to meet up in the lobby. Big Thunder Ranch was under refurb for our trip so we had dinner at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel before heading over to DL as a group to see Fantasmic. We had time on our own after Fantasmic, although Fantasmic was an optional activity, you did not have to see it so you could have just gotten your tickets and gone off and did whatever you wanted. We actually had one couple get their park tickets and head back to the hotel.

In LA, on your own time - has anyone done anything they thought was a waste of time and wished they spent it elsewhere?

Madam Toussaud's Wax Museum. We didn't do it on our own time, it was an optional activity that they gave us on our first night. Given the choice again, I think I would have skipped it.

Will def give that a miss!

So I was wondering who else books the DLR hotels? e.g. Hotels.com? Expedia? and how many days out these typically go on sale?

Thanks Mike, I've booked this way already actually, I was just curious in general in case any discounted offers came up!

Thanks Mike, I've booked this way already actually, I was just curious in general in case any discounted offers came up!

No prob! Just returned on Sunday from BSM and it was an amazing trip. No post days this time but we still had a fantastic trip!!

Glad you had a fab time! I would ask if you're doing a TR but I've been advised to avoid spoilers!

First time to DL and first ABD for me, hence the many questions!!

We know that the ABD backstage magic portion includes your stay at the GC resort.....is it possible to change that or upgrade to staying at the Disneyland resort during your ABD (not pre or post stay)??

The GC does nothing for us...but are hopelessly in love with the Disneyland resort

We know that the ABD backstage magic portion includes your stay at the GC resort.....is it possible to change that or upgrade to staying at the Disneyland resort during your ABD (not pre or post stay)??

The GC does nothing for us...but are hopelessly in love with the Disneyland resort
I highly doubt you would be able to switch. The rooms have to be together in a block to facilitate quick delivery of luggage and other items.

Melissa

You can't change the hotel that ABD uses. Everyone needs to be together as you are expected to meet at certain places/times each day and the guides need to know where everyone is situated room wise. They can't have 1 family out of 40 staying at a different hotel. Also, Disneyland Hotel is not an upgrade from Grand Californian, it's a downgrade. Grand Californian is the flagship hotel for Disneyland as it's the only hotel Disney actually built on the property.

Also, the tour guides do not like to let the group separate when officially "on tour". We had someone ask to leave and go back to their room the day we were at California Adventure and the guides said no, she had to stay with the group. She didn't need to partake of what we were doing but she could not leave the group. It's a safety thing. If something goes wrong, the guides need to be able to account for all members of the tour, this goes for in the parks and in the hotels.

You get a 4 day park hopper ticket included in your package.

Really?!?
This is all new to me. I understand from the trip description we have a day in Disneyland park and a day in CA Adventure.
never mind .... I did not read all the post and now I see the last day of the ABD trip is the last day we can use the park tickets included.
Thx.

Last edited:
Actually you get one evening at Disneyland, One full day at Disneyland and One full day at California Adventure. This leaves one day on the ticket for use on the last day of the trip (farewell day).

We actually didn't use our ticket on the first evening at the park. Our guides got us in without the use of our park tickets but then we were late getting to the resort as we had to do Jim Hensen the same day as the Walt Disney Studios and Imagineering. We barely made it in time for our dinner at Steakhouse 55. After dinner we basically hot footed it over to Disneyland so that we could get to Fantasmic before it started. We didn't actually get our park tickets until we were inside the gates.

Also, the tour guides do not like to let the group separate when officially "on tour". We had someone ask to leave and go back to their room the day we were at California Adventure and the guides said no, she had to stay with the group. She didn't need to partake of what we were doing but she could not leave the group. It's a safety thing. If something goes wrong, the guides need to be able to account for all members of the tour, this goes for in the parks and in the hotels.

If this is the information you are given, it is incorrect.

While you have paid for all aspects of the tour, you are not required to participate in any of it.

Transportation, meals, pre- arranged activities and entrance to certain things are time sensitive, but the rest is up to you.

I have done the Knights and Lights adventure twice and have never gone to Versailles. As I didn't feel I had enough time to do the things I wanted to do it Paris, I have skipped this portion both times.

We just completed the San Francisco Weekend / Backstage Magic combination trip and guests who had taken this trip previously decided to do other things while the tour visited things that didn't interest them.

Many in our group have done Backstage Magic multiple times. As it was raining on the night of our farewell dinner, a large portion of group decided not to go back into California Adventure to view World of Color. This is not an issue.

It's good manners to let your guides know that you won't be joining a certain event/activity, that way no one waits for you...but you are under no obligation to stay with the group at any time.

if you have any questions...please feel free to ask.

Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

Last edited:
You are not allowed to switch hotels for this Adventure.

The Adventure is contracted through the Grand Californian. You are not allowed to book additional nights through your ABD reservation for anywhere but the Grand Californian.

Everyone gets a 4 day park hopper ticket that expires at the end of the day of your Farewell Breakfast. You have full access to both parks that day, but the ticket can not be extended, upgraded, transferred or sold.

Any additional days at the parks will require separately purchased tickets.

Does the ticket for the last day (the day of the farewell breakfast) include any fast passes? A girl can dream, right?!

Are there any of Disney's tours its worth doing on pre or post ABD? e.g. Discover the Magic, Happiest Haunts over Halloween etc?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter