Questions Going with Mom who has mobility problems

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
We haven't made our ressies yet but I have some questions. My Mom (age 77) is going with us and she has a heart condition that makes it hard for her to stand for long periods or walk long distances. When waiting in line in the terminal to check in and board are there any seats where she could rest until it is our turn to check in?
Would a scooter/ECV (like the ones at WDW) be easy to navigate on board? Would it fit in a category 6, 7 or 8 cabin? Down the halls? Are the elevators reliable-ie not too long a wait?
I noticed in the DCL brochure that you can request special meals in advance. My Mom has to watch her sodium intake. Has anyone requested special meals when booking? Does it make the meals less spontaneous? Would servers know what things on the regular menu might have less sodium?
She is excited about going on a cruise since she loves cruising and has always enjoyed her trips with us to OKW.

Wow! Here's a shot at some answers:

1) Yes, there are plenty of places to sit while waiting for boarding. Not all of your party needs to wait in line to board after check-in.

2) There was another post not long ago addressing scooters - I believe the consensus was that a handicapped room was the best way to go. You would have problems getting a scooter through the door of a regular room, not to mention extremely limited ability to maneuver in any other stateroom. Down the halls won't be problem. Elevators are reliable, but I would recommend using the fore or aft elevators as the mid-ships are the busiest.

3) Many others will speak to the special-diet requests, but generally speaking the reviews have been favorable, with your waitstaff fully briefed in advance about the limitations so they can make recommendations appropriate to the diet needs, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

I am interested to the answer to this thread also. My mom is traveling with us and has had great trouble recently with her legs making it quite difficult to walk any distance. Do they have any type of scooter available? we found the wait for the elevators to be quite long on previous cruises-too many people using them that really didn't need to-especially teens and kids. My mom also should follow a sodium restricted diet-not very good about it though. Would the servers be able to suggest something-I'm sure she does not want special things prepared. thanks for any help. beth

hello

Yes, there are places to sit at port...should'nt be a problem.

My DW's MIL went with us and needed to use an ECV. We rented from a local co and took it on-board.

we were lucky and had SPR's...there was a hall way that we could park/recharge her ECV overnight - worked great. As others suggested...attempt to secure a handicapped room...sounds like the best way to go.

as far as ease of getting around the ship...Mom needed to be patient on waiting for an elevator and in congested areas.
Also, it reallly helps to have someone with her when using the elevators...the doors can close before you get there.

Good luck...Mom will do fine...have a wonderful time...My MIL did!

d'Isigny-
You say you rented from a local company. Was that a local company near the port? If so, what company and how did you get it from them? What was the approximate cost?

DCL has wheelchairs you can use - just contact them (email or phone) or contact your travel agent. There's a sitting area near the mouse ears where you can wait to board. Also, let the cm at the ears know ahead of time you need help with your mother - he'll let you guys board first. Now this is fessing up, but while on board, I injured myself - turns out I tore 2 ligaments and looks like I'll need to have some surgery on the d@!* thing; just waiting for the MRI - I did need to use a wheelchair though for the last couple of days. They were very obliging.

Thanks everyone!. I knew that I could count on this group! Now more questions.

d'Isigny-What are SPR's?

BethA -I know there are several Orlando companies that rent scooters for use at the theme parks. At least one also rents for cruises. They deliver and pick up. If you have stayed at any onsite resort at WDW you may have noticed scooters in the lobby or near the bell stand waiting for their renters!
This is the official site for the orlando/orange county convention and visitors bureau. Try a search for scooters. I know that they have lots this type of info.www.orlandoinfo.com

Aonther question. Which staterooms are handicapped? Where are they located and in what categories?
Thanks again!

Walker Medical Co. in Orlando would rent the ECV's. They deliver them to all Disney and Orlando area hotels. Not sure if they deliver to the port. My Mom used one back in 1999 for our stay at the Boardwalk. I'll try to find their phone number.
Kerri

Wanted to provide one point of clarification. If you become injured or have an unexpected agravation to an injury then they do have a limited number of wheelchairs available on board for emergency use only. If you have a chronic medical condition and need one from the start they do not have them for rent. They will refer you to an offsite rental company. I can't remember which one as it was several years ago and then we got George my Purple wheelchair. I do know that at that time it was cheaper to rent from Walker and transport the chair ourselves than rent from the company at the port.

I always do an electric scooter at the parks due to the great distances but on the ship I use a manual chair. In some areas it has just always seemed congested but I have seen many people very successfully utilize one on board.

As far as the disabled cabin categories, I think they are Cat. 11, 8, 6, 5, and 3.

You may also find the DISabilities board helpful.

We are bringing my mother onboard in a manual wheelchair and have rented a scooter. Walker Mobility does not rent scooters for cruises, Disney area only. They referred us to a rental company called Brevard County Mobility or something like that. The scooter will be waiting for us in a public area of the ship.

She is able to walk, so we do not have a handicapped accessible cabin. When I spoke to DCL, they told us that our cabin steward can park the scooter and recharge it in a non-cluttered area so that it will not be in the way. The only other thing we needed for her is a bench for the shower as she can not step into a tub. They said that they will have one available for us.

She doesn't have any food allergies or sensitivities, but my nephew is lactose intolerant and we will speak to our servers when we board about his needs.

Our cruise is in a few weeks, I will post after and let you know how everything went for us.

Trish

We just returned from the 4 day Wonder. Our Aunt also has difficulty walking long distances, especially in the heat. We requested adjoining cabins near the elevators (6612,6614) and it worked out perfectly. There are plenty of places on the ship to sit.

I'm not sure if you are going to Nassau, but beware, since 9/11 the walk to the excursions are quite far from the ship.

Castaway Cay - a very long walk in the sun to get to the family beach or Serenity Bay. We called Guest Services the day or two before we docked at Castaway Cay and asked if Disney could provide any kind of transportation to the tram to Serenity Bay. They were wonderful and said they would ask to see if any Cast Members were getting off the ship that AM and perhaps they would take her. If not they would reserve a wheelchair for her just in case.

That morning, they were waiting for her right outside the ship. In fact, they had another woman already on the golf cart and they took the 4 of us along too. They dropped us off at the tram for Serenity Bay. The hardest part was getting BACK to the ship. We took the tram back to the center of the island, but there was no way she could walk the rest of the way back or even walk to the tram that went back toward the ship. DH went and got an all terrain wheelchair with an umbrella, located near the shops, and pushed her right back to the ship!

Don't be afraid to ask. Disney came through for us big time!

Off2CMickey2 - d'Isigny- You say you rented from a local company. Was that a local company near the port? If so, what company and how did you get it from them? What was the approximate cost?

MIL rented from Walker Mobility (i believe). They were located in Orlando. Sorry...I do not know if there is a rental co near port. Cost was $150 for the first week...$100 for second. If staying in Disney property or most Orlando locations...they will drop off/pick up the scooter - no additional charge. Since we were flying out the afternoon we got off the ship...we returned the scooter on our way to the airport. The rental scooters were MUCH better then those available at the parks...taking them apart was very easy.
Mom did call DCL...really could not get much information from them. DCL does recommend you book a handicap room. Again, it may be best to book a handicap room - i assume the entry door is larger.

I've included a link of a trip report written by Andrew Bichard. This is from Brian Bennett's site - MousePlanet...well written and some great insight about touring in a wheelchair.

"Comments: Andrew's report gives a very good description of what it's like to visit WDW in a wheelchair. In fact, throughout the report, he provides information on accessibility that can be very helpful if you need to know about that. Besides the WDW visit, Andrew and Sheila decided to enjoy a cruise on the Disney Magic, too, and Andrew provides a wealth of information on accessibility while enjoying the DCL, too"

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip...bichard00de.htm

Spend some time searching/posting on DISabilities board. They offered some wonderful suggestions.

NancyDVC - d'Isigny-What are SPR's?

One of the best-kept secrets on the Disney Wonder are the "secret porthole" rooms. These six rooms on Deck 5 are sold as Category 10 inside staterooms. However, they have obstructed view portholes, giving you a nice little window on the world for no extra cost. These rooms can be requested, although you must make your reservations pretty far in advance because word is getting out on the internet, and they go quickly. They are #5520, #5522, #5524, #5020, #5022, #5024 (note that 5522/5524 and 5022/5024 are adjoiners).

See Barb and Tonys website for photos and additional information
http://www.castawayclub.com

Hope this helps...

Just wondering if anyone has found out exactly which company rents the scooters. We just found out that DSIL will not be able to walk on the cruises due to a back injury she sustained a coulple of weeks ago. She told the doctor upon examination..."I am going on the cruise regardless if I can walk or not." She is a real trooper.

Hope to get some more detailed information about companies because a scooter makes so much more sense, for mobility and freedom, than a wheelchair.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!:p

Boomerwon got www.orlandoinfo.com. That is the official Orland Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau site. Great info about the entire Orlando area. When you go there scroll down on the left side of the home page to Special Needs. They have listings for medical equipment companies that rent scooters, wheelchairs and other medical equipment. They deliver to WDW resorts and at least one says that it delivers to cruise ships as well. I believe that there is also a company near Port Canaveral that rents scooters as well. It is called Brevard Medical Equipment Co. Their web address is www.brevardmedicalequip.com. They are located in Merritt Island and specialize in rentals for cruisers.

Thanks so much Carla and NancyDVC! You are both great!

I'm sure between those two sources we will figure something out in the next few days.

Jody :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter