Quick thoughts from 1st-time weekend trip by 30-something couple!

beanbag

Earning My Ears
Just back from a fun 3-night weekend at WDW (june 1-4) and just wanted to share the following tips/info for any other people going to WDW on a budget. I appreciated everyone's help here in planning my trip, and hope this might help someone else.

1) Use USAIR's flexible airfare finder feature on their website. We paid only $82 round-trip from Boston for our tix using that method. Flights were non-stop and great.

2) If you only stay for a weekend, we think it's a MUST to stay onsite, and it's cheap too! We stayed onsite at the AllStars Music (VERY clean and well-cared-for, by the way) using the discount codes mentioned here. We paid about $60 a night and definitely felt that staying onsite was the way to go. Disney bus transportation to/from the parks to Allstars was VERY efficient for us -- even coming back at night, we never faced more than a 10-minute wait. It appeared that many of the fancier hotels had much longer waits for buses. In addition, as a weekend visitor, the HUGE advantage of on-site hotels is that you can buy what's called a "length of stay" park-hopper pass. Even though we stayed for 3 nights, we were able to buy a pass for only the 2 days that we went to the parks (on the phone they tried to sell us a 4-day pass, but you can definitely buy just a 2-day when you arrive.) If you stay outside Disney, you would have to buy either the 4-day Park Hopper, or buy individual park passes. Having the park hopper pass was GREAT because we checked out at least 2 different parks a day.

3) Early Entrance is awesome! Even on Saturday, when the Magic Kingdom was VERY crowded with visiting Gay Day participants, we were able to do all the major attractions by about 11am -- no wait at space mountain, haunted house, buzz lightyear, VERY little waits at thunder mountain railroad, splash mountain, etc. All in the same morning, we also did Fantasyland -- Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Small World, etc. Even though the crowds got HUGE later, the morning was pleasant, cool, and lines were blessedly short. By the way, only FantasyLand and TomorrowLand are open during EE days. At Disney-MGM, we had a similar experience -- we rode Rock and Roller Coaster twice with ZERO wait, right at opening, as well as Tower of Terror, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc.

4) FAST PASS is great! It works best in the morning hours though, as in the afternoon they sometimes run out of passes. We couldn't believe how many people missed out on using this -- we walked right through 40-minute lines.

5) Even on a short weekend trip, it makes sense to nap in the afternoon! As I said earlier, with EE you can finish off the major rides earlier, then have lunch and go take a nap in the hot afternoon hours. Then in the evening, you can feel alive and rejuvenated. Naps-- they're not just for kids!!!

Glad to hear that you had a enjoyable trip- the DIS really does make a difference doesn't it!

Grover in Winnipeg :smooth: :smooth:

glad to hear you had a great trip!!! :)

I completely agree about the naps!!! dh and I are a late twenties/early thirties couple with no kids, and we always take naps at wdw!!!

Laura :D

Thanks for the tips!! I do have a question for you though, how much did you pay for the 2 day park hopper pass?? Do you know if there is a 3 day park hopper pass if you stay onsite?? Just curious thanks!!!!

Figment 78 -- the 2-day parkhopper cost $119 per person. I presume that a 3rd day would just cost an extra $60 or so.

:)

Are you kidding? You only paid $82 round trip from Boston to Orlando?? Boy, I guess I blew it! If I had seen that price, I would have been on that plane!! LOL! I just went on and checked price after I read your email and it is $184 using the flexible option. :(

Glad you had a great trip. Now it's time to plan another! :bounce:

Kimberly

Is the 2-day ticket you bought an actual 2-day ticket with no expiration or is it the LOS or UMP or whatever they call it now that you get for the duration of your stay. Guess I am asking, is this ticket sold at the ticket windows or only at your resort?

I'm not sure about whether the ticket is available at the ticket windows. We bought the ticket through the resort when we checked in. I think you can also purchase them by phone when you reserve your room -- one agent offered to do this for me. It's strange because they really don't publicize this issue at all -- in fact, one agent tried to tell me that we HAD to buy the 4-day pass. However, another phone reservation agent told me she does it this way all the time, and the agent at the resort did it without any problem.
Good luck. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter