R & J Fairytale Wedding PJ 9/23/15

PrincessJosie

A dream is a wish...
I have been reading all about people's weddings and I couldn't resist making a post about ours. I'm excited to share our story and get some advice from other Disney brides.

My fiance and I are huge Disney fans. We actually own every single Disney movie. (As long as it has been released on DVD or bluray). I'm sure lots of people SAY that, but we literally have them all, there are nearly 600 in our collection (but whose counting?). :tink:

We initially bonded over our love of Disney. We were at a friend's daughter's birthday party soon after we started dating and a random little girl asked R who his favorite princess was and he said "Princess Josie" and the little girl said... hmmm, I never heard of that one. How do you not marry a man like that? princess: His family has been to Disney World every year since the parks opened in 1971. Our wedding trip will be his 35th visit. Disney World is totally our laughing place, our happy place, and the perfect place for us to say "I Do."

We are planning to spend four days in the park after our wedding and four days on a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas.

~ J

We are totally ecstatic about the wedding and tying the knot in the happiest place on earth. Unfortunately, that saying about weddings bringing out the worst in people seems to totally be relevant to our experience. I sure could use a fairy godmother these days!

Here's some background...

We have been together for a little over three years. I have been working on my PhD for the last two years and we decided we want to get married before I graduate so I can have my new name before I'm officially a Dr. It's kind of unconventional to change your name after a PhD in academia and I have no connection to my maiden name as I've never met my biological father and nobody in my family has ever shared a name with me. Having the same name as my husband is important to me and to him. I am unexpectedly graduating a little earlier than I thought so we are having a rather short engagement. We didn't think this was a big deal because to us, we have known we would get married for a long time and it was a matter of saving up for the ring. We have moved across state lines together twice... we are clearly committed, and most people were shocked that we weren't already married when we announced our wedding plans.

Anyway, we decided to do a Disney Escape wedding with our immediate families and closest friends and then a big wedding reception at home near Baltimore, MD. We didn't want to give up getting married in our favorite place but we didn't want to isolate people from celebrating with us if they couldn't make it to Florida. Unfortunately, our families seem to want to make this as difficult as humanly possible. It seems every decision we make causes a major upset for someone. We are feeling totally isolated and betrayed by people turning on us all of a sudden. Now we are wondering if we should have a Memories wedding so we don't have to continue to be abused by everyone for the next three months and on our wedding day. Any words of wisdom here would be much appreciated... What do you do when your future mother-in-law turns on you? Or when your own mother is constantly guilt tripping about how inconvenient your wedding is for her? We just want all of our loved ones to share our joy and love for each other and it seems like the minute we started wedding planning, we became a target for everyone to attack! :(

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/siwy4agsw19luscf.png

Awwww. . . I'm so sorry to hear that. . . :( I love your story and think it is AMAZING you guys are not giving up on your Disney wedding. I would say plan your escape wedding, send out invitations and if you have to downgrade to a memories event due to people not being able to come than do that. But, no one will ever be able to say they were not invited. Remember, this is about you guys and no one else. Many people asked us to change our venue so we could invite more people, but we stuck to our guns and are having the wedding that we want. Congratulations on getting your Phd and I look forward to following your love story all the way to the altar. :)

Well at this point both of our families have agreed to go but some of them are being so mean that we don't know if we want that anymore... Why are we going to let them spoil our day? Thanks for your encouragement! I don't even know if Disney will let us downgrade, but at this moment, we both feel like all we need is each other and we just want to run away and be happy!

Last edited:

Have the wedding that you want. If you want it to just be the two of you, then that is what it should be. Realize that you aren't going to make your families happy and stop trying to do that. Have your close friends at the wedding if you want or have it just be the two of you and a few close friends as attendants.

Check on getting the package changed. Even if there is a small fee, it might be worth it.

I found your PJ! As far as the family complaints, have the wedding you two want. You can't make everyone happy all the time. It's impossible. I think it would be worth it to see if there's a fee to change from Escape to Memories :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter