'Radiator Springs'!

MinnieMouse73

DIS Veteran
We're off to CA in 3 weeks' time :cool1:

One thing my daughter (age 5) would really like to do is see 'Radiator Springs' from Cars. Ok, now she does know that it's a cartoon and Radiator Springs isn't a real place - but she says she would like to see somewhere that looks like it (i.e. the scenery, not the actual town).

My question is - how far would we have to drive from Anaheim to find somewhere that looks desert-y enough? We'll be driving to Six Flags Magic Mountain one day - is the scenery on the way there anything like it? After Anaheim, we'll then be driving up to San Luis Obispo and on to San Jose - again, any use?

Thanks in advance! Sorry, I know it's a weird question!

On the way you are going, no. There is nothing like that at all along that route. Going from Anaheim to Magic Mountain you will only encounter developed property. I ought to know since I live in Valencia, and that is where Magic Mountain is located. There are only two areas that I know that look somewhat familiar to Radiator Springs. There is a town along Pearblossom Highway or 138 that kind of looks like that. It is in the high desert of Southern California, but that is really out of the way for you, and really not worth the drive. The only other place that comes to mind is Filmore along 126 that is about 20 to 30 minutes northwest of Magic Mountain. The 126 is the first highway that you will cross once you pass Magic Mountain. 126 almost borders the north for Magic Mountain. Since you are going north, you could probably swing by that area the easiest.

Joe:

How about if they take 14 towards Lancaster. Do you think any of that high desert will work?

Joe:

How about if they take 14 towards Lancaster. Do you think any of that high desert will work?

Going up the 14 is a bit out of the way. I had suggested something near Pearblossom Highway that could work, but that is really out of the way. The only thing that I can think of that can work along the 14 is either Acton or Aqua Dulce. In both situations, you're just a little bit north of Santa Clarita and back track onto the 5 north to go her destinations up in Northern California.

subscribing to this thread.

I have 2 boys who are Cars fanatics with the same question. Also, is it true there is no LA International Speedway?

Very true. In fact the speedway in the film (in the areas where they arrived and did press conferences) looked very similar to the Santa Anita race track in Arcadia, which is a horse racing track.

There is an Irwindale Speedway just east of Santa Anita:

http://www.irwindalespeedway.com

Also, there's a town on the old Route 66 just east of Barstow called Newberry Springs which might remind one of Radiator Springs with a little imagination. ;) It's pretty far out of the way unless you're heading for Laughlin or Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon.

http://newberryspringschamber.org/

There used to be Ontario International Speedway. Anyone remember that!? Ah the good old days.

There is a road course in Riverside - the old Riverside Speedway but I think it is mostly used for test track type stuff now.

Fontana Speedway is now where Nascar runs in So Cal. Not sure if they do tours like Daytona or not.
www.californiaspeedway.com

When I first saw the movie, and saw that race track in question, I thought of two things: 1) it sure reminded me of the old Ontario Motor Speedway, and 2 the architecture of the track reminds me of Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.

With regards to Riverside, I don't think any track exists out there since it has turned into a housing development.

Thanks again - to be honest it's more the 'desert-y' scenery that she wants to see than the actual town - does that make it any easier? She was asking about it again this afternoon!

Thanks again - to be honest it's more the 'desert-y' scenery that she wants to see than the actual town - does that make it any easier? She was asking about it again this afternoon!

Considering that you are travelling north, you are better off visiting the high desert around Pearblossom if you want the "desert-y" look to things, along with older buildings that have survived the heat. That area should have a lot of Joshua Trees that will give it the "desert-y" look. I cannot recall if there is a highway that will cut across the Palmdale/Lancaster area to Bakersfield, where you would eventually meet up with the 5/99 to continue your trek up north.

Are you visiting Magic Mountain on your way up north, or is that a side trip when you are visiting Disneyland?

A side trip from Disneyland. We had originally thought of going on the way up, but then I got tickets for the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert in San Jose so we need to cut down our travelling time. We didn't want to shorten our stay in Anaheim since we have an extended stay rate and it would have made it much more expensive to actually stay one night less, so instead of leaving earlier we're just going to go more quickly!

A side trip from Disneyland. We had originally thought of going on the way up, but then I got tickets for the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert in San Jose so we need to cut down our travelling time. We didn't want to shorten our stay in Anaheim since we have an extended stay rate and it would have made it much more expensive to actually stay one night less, so instead of leaving earlier we're just going to go more quickly!

It is a shame that Magic Mountain is a side trip because it will take you at least 60 to 90 minutes to get there from Disneyland on a good day, and taking an alternate route to avoid traffic. Also, Magic Mountain is on the way north, and you can make a side trip to the Pearblossom area. However, if you are still intending to make it a separate day trip, find out the highway that runs from the Palmdale/Lancaster area to Bakersfield. That ought to help you out.

Which is the best route to take to Magic Mountain?

Okay, this is a suggestion from someone who lives in Valencia (where Magic Mountain is). No matter what, you need to take the 5 north out of Disneyland. Just outside of downtown Los Angeles, you will see a number of freeways to take... always stay on the 5 north (Sacramento). At about Dodger Stadium, you will see signs for the 2 (Glendale Freeway) North on your right. Take that freeway (2 north). Once on the 2, merge yourself over to the far left lane. Stay in that lane until the end of the freeway. At that point you will see signs for the 210 west (San Fernando). Take that (that particular ramp is on the left). Stay on the 210 until it ends, which will be at the 5 north. At that point, you should be about 5 to 10 minutes away from the Magic Mountain Parkway off-ramp of the freeway (depending on traffic). At the off-ramp, just make a left and continue straight until you see the entrance to the park.

Thank you again - great info. We were thinking of going on a Saturday to avoid the rush hour traffic - what time to you recommed we leave to get there for 10am opening?

I asked this on another thread, but do you think it will be soooo crowded on a saturday that it would be better to face the weekday traffic instead? I was thinking since it's school holidays that it would be crowded at MM anyway even during th week?

We're currently planning on going on saturday August 4th but we could just as easily go one day during the week before.

Thank you again - great info. We were thinking of going on a Saturday to avoid the rush hour traffic - what time to you recommed we leave to get there for 10am opening?

I asked this on another thread, but do you think it will be soooo crowded on a saturday that it would be better to face the weekday traffic instead? I was thinking since it's school holidays that it would be crowded at MM anyway even during th week?

We're currently planning on going on saturday August 4th but we could just as easily go one day during the week before.

If you are going on the weekend, especially that early, I think the only traffic you will get is around the 5 & 14 interchange because of people going up to Lake Castaic for the weekend. The crowds at Magic Mountain should be pretty good with long waits. Since you have the option on going mid-week, I would look at that then. Magic Mountain is known to attract teens from different parts of Los Angeles County, and the weekends are the perfect days for them to visit the park. Assuming that these teens work during the week, you would have a better chance of a lighter crowd going mid-week.

Either way around it, if you were to leave around 8:30, you should get be able to get to the park by 10.

Oh, okay - we thought the traffic on a week day would be much worse than that?? I was thinking 8.30am to leave if we were going on a weekend, but that we'd need to leave much earlier during the week - if that's not the case I think we'll switch things around a bit.

Okay, this is a suggestion from someone who lives in Valencia (where Magic Mountain is). No matter what, you need to take the 5 north out of Disneyland. Just outside of downtown Los Angeles, you will see a number of freeways to take... always stay on the 5 north (Sacramento). At about Dodger Stadium, you will see signs for the 2 (Glendale Freeway) North on your right. Take that freeway (2 north). Once on the 2, merge yourself over to the far left lane. Stay in that lane until the end of the freeway. At that point you will see signs for the 210 west (San Fernando). Take that (that particular ramp is on the left). Stay on the 210 until it ends, which will be at the 5 north.
Why not just stay on the 5 all the way?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter