• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rafiki's Planet Watch is Now OPEN - See Post #296

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a genuine question, as I have not been nor do I have kids: do you believe these plus the safari are enough to justify taking toddlers to AK? I will certainly go earlier in my trip, but when my young nieces are there, I’m not sure if it is worth the hassle, price, heat and crowds.

The Festival of the Lion King was definitely not on the list, though it was a “Top 5”, so not a definitive list. I would have thought that the show would not appeal to toddlers, so that’s really good to know.

As I say, it was a Top 5 video, but that’s interesting about the shows - it sounds like they would have been a good addition to the list.

These comments are all really helpful, as it does sound like there is still more to do there for the little ones than I’m imagining. I’m baulking at the idea of using a park entry day for a Dumbo knock-off and a playground, but it does sound like there may be plenty for toddlers to do besides that.
I would take a toddler to AK just for the Festival of the Lion King show. I believe that is the absolute best show in Disney World. My 4 year old son loved the tumble monkeys, and got to participate in the "parade" at the end of the show. That alone in my book is worth the price of admission.

DS was 3 during our visit to AK back in 2014. He loved AK. The trails, the bird show, the safari, TH lunch, meeting Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, the Lion King show and, yes, the Triceratops Spin, made for a great day. We didn’t RD, but had a full day. The train was operating, but the attractions at RPW were closed for refurb, so we just rode the train up and back. We didn’t make it to Nemo or the playground before leaving for the day. We enjoyed it. It was a nice change of pace and definitely held DS’ attention.
You mentioned riding the train there while Rafikis planet was under refurbishment. Does anyone think there is a chance that they could now just continue the train ride?

Has there been any statement or info on why they are closing it? It is just not a popular area and not worth the operating costs of the train and keeping it staffed with CMs? It seemed like an interesting and unique part of the park.
Costs....it's always for costs. They've determined that it won't stop ppl from spending their money to buy tix to go to AK, and they'll save money by not offering it. Anytime they see an opportunity to not "have to" spend money to keep the money coming in they'll take it.

Why can't Disney use Black Panther in their parks and resorts? It would be a wonderful replacement for Dinoland and Dinosaur. They could even incorporate it into Animal Kingdom Lodge.

That’s great to hear - thank you! I think I will really enjoy AK, but I had concerns about my nieces. However, it does sound like it may be worth going after all. For some reason I thought the trails would be too much like hiking for little ones, but from the various posts in this thread, it sounds like they will be fine.
It is not like hiking. It is a paved flat path. AK is my favorite park and my kids loved it when they were younger too. They loved watching the animals, especially the gorillas. We normally spend 2 days there and haven’t done RPW yet.

Why can't Disney use Black Panther in their parks and resorts? It would be a wonderful replacement for Dinoland and Dinosaur. They could even incorporate it into Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Black Panther is one of the restricted characters that Universal Studios has rights to. Disney World cannot use the avengers or X-Men.

Costs....it's always for costs. They've determined that it won't stop ppl from spending their money to buy tix to go to AK, and they'll save money by not offering it. Anytime they see an opportunity to not "have to" spend money to keep the money coming in they'll take it.

Sad but true. I feel like Disney used to be about adding things they didn't have to, and now it's like this.

They don’t seem to enforce the overnight parking all that well at the moment.

Presumably, you are referring to the overnight parking fee for on-property WDW guests. It is true that not every guest at the moment has to pay this fee. That is because when the parking fee was announced, existing bookings were grandfathered in to the old structure (parking is free), and only new bookings made after a specific date are required to pay the fee,

Presumably, you are referring to the overnight parking fee for on-property WDW guests. It is true that not every guest at the moment has to pay this fee. That is because when the parking fee was announced, existing bookings were grandfathered in to the old structure (parking is free), and only new bookings made after a specific date are required to pay the fee,
Yes but even those who have booked after there have been reported cases of people getting away with not paying. I think they will get tighter with it as time goes on of course but it seems to be an issue.

Any word on if they will be changing the Wilderness Explorer booklets? RPW was home to several badges....

That's what I'm wondering too. It would actually increase our odds of finishing the booklet in the time we have.

Last day to visit for now will be September 29th.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but now all the Conservation Locations (the attractions) show availability till October 6, EXCEPT for the Meet and Greets.

So it's possible that it's just the Meet and Greets are going away... or that the attractions are lasting for slightly longer? Or that they just haven't scheduled the meet and greets after Sept 29 yet.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but now all the Conservation Locations (the attractions) show availability till October 6, EXCEPT for the Meet and Greets.

So it's possible that it's just the Meet and Greets are going away... or that the attractions are lasting for slightly longer? Or that they just haven't scheduled the meet and greets after Sept 29 yet.
I would say at this time the website hasn’t been updated.

This is a genuine question, as I have not been nor do I have kids: do you believe these plus the safari are enough to justify taking toddlers to AK? I will certainly go earlier in my trip, but when my young nieces are there, I’m not sure if it is worth the hassle, price, heat and crowds.

The Festival of the Lion King was definitely not on the list, though it was a “Top 5”, so not a definitive list. I would have thought that the show would not appeal to toddlers, so that’s really good to know.

As I say, it was a Top 5 video, but that’s interesting about the shows - it sounds like they would have been a good addition to the list.

These comments are all really helpful, as it does sound like there is still more to do there for the little ones than I’m imagining. I’m baulking at the idea of using a park entry day for a Dumbo knock-off and a playground, but it does sound like there may be plenty for toddlers to do besides that.
Honestly, who cares if it's on the list of what appeals to toddlers.
Do you not get to do things that are appealing to you too? The adults have to have fun too, right? No just you but what about the parents of your nieces? Will they go when you go earlier? Or just when the nieces go?
AK is full of wonderful and fabulous things to see and do.
It's the only living park at Disney, where things are never the same from visit to visit. No other park can claim this. While I love rides as much as the next person, 1 ride on Big Thunder is like any other ride on Big Thunder, or 1 ride on Rock in Roller Coaster is like any other. But no Safari is like another Safari. No walk on the Gorilla Trail is like any other. Nowhere else can you walk in and possibly hit upon having a huge flock of parrots fly over as you come in. No park as the detail put into it that AK has. It lives and breathes differently than all the other parks.
Toddlers may not appreciate it but the adults do. And by gosh, the adults are the ones paying. And the adults surely get some say.
There is enough there for kids too. They'll be enthralled by the animals all around them. And the sights and sounds of the park in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter