• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Random but please help...long movie for kids

A couple of things.

1) Most children's movies are shorter than two hours, because children get bored easily. Disney/Dreamworks/etc. know that kids will start fidgeting around the 90 minute mark. So they'll make movies that end around then. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is long at about 2:20. Both Wreck-It Ralph and Happy Feet are about 1:40.

2) Even the continuous-play DVDs (cartoons) last for maybe about 2 1/2 hours. If you're lucky.

3) Hope you don't consider this parenting advice. But if you're going to be in the car much longer than two hours, I'd pull over at a rest area and take a stretch break. Kids need to run around. And they'll need to go potty (or in your twins case, have their diapers changed). And you probably need a break from driving, yourself. When you get back int the car, you can switch movies.

HTH

Children under two are not supposed to have any screen time (interferes with brain development) and kids over two should be limited to two hours per day. How about books or colouring activities for the kids? Lots of talking passes the time too. Singing together. I could go on.

I have three kids too—my twins are older now, but I know car travel can be a bit harrowing at times. Screens are not the answer though.
This is overstating things: the AAP's recently updated recommendations on screen time are much more relaxed and do allow for "high quality programming" for children under 2. We are all Disney fans here, and where better to find high quality programming for kids?

Lawrence of Arabia. 4 hours
Star Trek: the Motion Picture 2.5 hours
The Green Mile 3 hours

Bonus - they'll be asleep by the time it's over LOL

Since none of my suggestions are actually kid-friendly, you could play, I Spy or Spot the Letter or any number of things that doesn't involve technology. ;) Kids are super observant and they will love to play these games if you show them how. I tend to turn on the radio and share different styles of music with my DD. Also if you live near airspace, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of watching the airplanes coming in/out.

No need to drain device batteries or put more stress on your car's alternator using an adapter to power all this electronic stuff!

You mean Star Trek The MOTIONLESS Picture?

Those kids would be asleep in 5 minutes....

You mean Star Trek The MOTIONLESS Picture?

Those kids would be asleep in 5 minutes....
HA - Yes I am hoping that beautiful introductory score will zonk them riiiiiiiiiiiight out...

Alternatively 2001: A Space Odyssey could work as well for this!

This is overstating things: the AAP's recently updated recommendations on screen time are much more relaxed and do allow for "high quality programming" for children under 2. We are all Disney fans here, and where better to find high quality programming for kids?
It's actually high quality programming with parental interaction. And only once older than 18 months. Under 18 months they recommend screen time for video chatting only.

I got stuck in traffic today and what should’ve been a two hour ride was a 3 1/2 hour ride. The kids are too young to know how to replay movies/TV shows. Is there a movie that you can recommend that is extremely long and is geared for kids so that when we are stuck in traffic I don’t have to figure out how to start a new movie in the middle of a drive.

I can tell you from far too much personal experience that the Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs autoplay and repeat as soon as they end (over and over and over and over....) There are a lot of DVDs that do that. My kids knew how to press play and start the DVD from about age 2, so you can probably easily teach them to do it.

It's actually high quality programming with parental interaction. And only once older than 18 months. Under 18 months they recommend screen time for video chatting only.

And the microwave will cause cancer and a million other things everyone is doing wrong when raising there kids. When I was a kid we actually drank out of the hose it didn't even have a filter on it.

What's that one where you punch someone on the arm every time you spot a VW? :D
I believe in our area it was called "slug bug," however my DD was young, she couldn't remember the name one day and called it "boogie slap." It will forever be known as that in our family. By the way, the game "Yellow car" somehow morphed into a combination with "boogie slap." Thus, a yellow bug earned two slaps, however school buses and taxis in Orlando don't count.

And the microwave will cause cancer and a million other things everyone is doing wrong when raising there kids. When I was a kid we actually drank out of the hose it didn't even have a filter on it.
Oh the horror of unfiltered water. We had to drink out of the hose. There was always the chance if you went inside, to get a drink, that your mom would decide you had been outside long enough and you were required to stay in.

Yes, there are many caveats and splitting of hairs. Point is, it's fine within reason and a little bit of screen time on a car ride here and there is not going to "interfere with brain development" at any age.

Yes, there are many caveats and splitting of hairs. Point is, it's fine within reason and a little bit of screen time on a car ride here and there is not going to "interfere with brain development" at any age.

I wonder what kid out there will be the next Einstein that will debug everything people thought was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter