"Random" Security Checks?? (at WDW now)

Ever been to a theme park or amusement park that makes everyone go through metal detectors? Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ does. If you get there less than 30 minutes before opening you're standing in a crowd of thousands of people waiting to go through the metal detectors. Every person takes 10 to 30 seconds depending on what you have and if you've been compliant (like took your belt off - yes they make you do that). Even though there is an entire row of detectors (50 or so?) it is a tedious mess. And all that is before you can even get to the ticket booth or the biometric scanner. I tend to think that something on this scale would not go over well with many Disney fans. I think that we go there to escape this kind of reminder that the world is a mess.
Universal orlando has a lot of metal detectors, I want to say at least 30, everyone goes through, I've never waited more than 5 minutes. And that's counting people going to both theme parks and citywalk. The luxury of size, which is what Walt Disney always wanted, is now a detriment in this aspect.

I find it interesting that some would feel much better if everyone walked through them, when we know from tests of TSA that banned items get through all the time.

I think this only serves as a deterrent, in reality. I think that if they move to everyone walking through it's really just to make people feel better -- not because they expect it to make that much of a difference in reality.

I suspect Disney's best security is what we do NOT see.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/kati...rprise-tsa-is-still-sucking-terribly-n2075370

Last edited:
During our 7 day trip in March I was randomly selected once.
My cousin Peggy was selected 3 or 4 times.

My son and I are going July 7-12.
Wonder how many times we will be selected.

As soon as they scan someone, they go grab another from another line.
They are constantly scanning people, but not everyone.

Our local theme park here everyone goes through the metal detector.
First you go thru the turnstile with your ticket, then the metal detector.
After that they check your bag.

So so far there's one in this thread who waited a really long time, are there others who also waited a long time to get through bag check/security? Debating on whether or not to bring a bag for next time. As for the cargo short thing, in my experience it hasn't been true so far at least

I didn't wait a long time, but if you can go bagless that is the way to go!

I have been here for 15 days. I have gone in to parks every day and sometimes twice. I have been selected all but one day and my wife all but two. We are a late thirties early forties couple with three children 10 dawn to 6. Must be random. I don't like it because it is all for feel good show. But I can't change it.

Why? these "checks" are nothing more than theater to make you feel safe. That's all they do and all they are meant to do. The real security is not visible to you. That's the security you need to care about as it is what will actually keep you safe. I really wish they would get rid of the theater all together as it actually increases risk rather than removing it. (creates a bottleneck that is a much more inviting target for a real terrorist)
Well... It could stop someone from bringing in a weapon. If not by catching it, than by deterrence.

MG

I'm preparing for our trip by having everything in my backpack in clear plastic bags. That way its quicker to unload & they can see everything without me having to empty anything out.

IF you think TSA lines are bad with just a few hundred folks, imagine what similar security at WDW would be like with THOUSANDS of people--loaded down with all manner of items that would set off metal detectors or scanners.

You will spend more time in those lines than you will at the Parks.

We just got back from a 2 week trip. We were picked a lot. One day my husband left his magic band in the car so we sat and waited while he ran to get it and I watched the process...literally- the guard picked someone to scan, walked them over, and then walked back to the line and waited for the next available person who went through the bag check area- it was totally random.

And a note to add to this- this particular day I was selected. I told them they were going to have to wait because my husband had just run back to the car, I had his phone in the stroller, I had all 4 kids with me, and I had no way to tell him or find him once he got back. I was very flustered at the moment and was probably not real nice about it. Anyway, the security guard literally stayed by my side for the 15 minutes it took my husband to run back to the car- luckily it was Epcot and not MK! There was no way he was letting me out of his sight- and he told every other guard that I was having to wait for my husband to be scanned. It was a little overkill in my opinion...but I understand at the same time.

this particular day I was selected. I told them they were going to have to wait because my husband had just run back to the car, I had his phone in the stroller, I had all 4 kids with me, and I had no way to tell him or find him once he got back. I was very flustered at the moment and was probably not real nice about it. Anyway, the security guard literally stayed by my side for the 15 minutes it took my husband to run back to the carThere was no way he was letting me out of his sight- and he told every other guard that I was having to wait for my husband to be scanned. It was a little overkill in my opinion...but I understand at the same time.

I don't.

What a waste of time and resources. Let's look back at recent and not so recent acts of terrorism. How many moms with strollers and four kids have been responsible for acts of mass murder in public places.

I don't.

What a waste of time and resources. Let's look back at recent and not so recent acts of terrorism. How many moms with strollers and four kids have been responsible for acts of mass murder in public places.
I maintain that this is largely about making people FEEL BETTER. I'm not in that camp (see TSA security record), but I think most people probably are.

Our family got randomly chosen to go through the metal detectors at Epcot. The guard said we could pick me or my husband to go through. My husband went but it was kinda weird that they had us pick. They should just pick someone and that's it. Just thought that was weird.

Experience from yesterday:
I went early in the afternoon, around 12:30 to MK, my daughter and I didn't have bags and neither got picked for metal detectors
Later in the day I went to DHS with a bag, and got selected to go through m.d.
I went to the fan based memorial at mk, arrived around 10:30pm with a bag and everyone going in were going through m.d.
BTW regular pins don't set of the m.d. but the buttons do. I had an Celebrating #orlanddostrong one and forgot to take it off and that set the m.d.

Our family got randomly chosen to go through the metal detectors at Epcot. The guard said we could pick me or my husband to go through. My husband went but it was kinda weird that they had us pick. They should just pick someone and that's it. Just thought that was weird.

I agree. That's very odd.

I get picked every time. I'm tall, blonde, and in my mid-late 20s. I certainly don't feel "targeted" and always happy to oblige. :confused3

Why? these "checks" are nothing more than theater to make you feel safe. That's all they do and all they are meant to do. The real security is not visible to you. That's the security you need to care about as it is what will actually keep you safe. I really wish they would get rid of the theater all together as it actually increases risk rather than removing it. (creates a bottleneck that is a much more inviting target for a real terrorist)
This is not entirely true. The lines are being monitored for particular activity. These kind of checks are not made to actually catch something in the scanner but to watch the actions of those in the line. The monitoring is not necessarily being done by the staff you see either. My prior career was in law enforcement and I use to work a lot of major events- security is all about layers.

I was picked twice last week (48yo, very cute woman;) with my 16y dd. I knew they weren't 'really' concerned with me, and if they need me to be picked so they can do whatever it is they're really doing, it's fine with me.

I would feel safer if every single person had to go through the metal detectors. Even if they have better security that we don't see. If they need to bring in more security personnel and more metal detectors to make sure lines don't back up, then that's what they should be doing. After last week, there is no excuse for still having this random nonsense.

We just got back, were there from June 12-18. I just automatically went through, after I learned to take off my Happy Anniversary pin and all my jewelry except my watch and Mary medal. It was funny that the detector went off once when I had already gone through. The security guard said that the table was too close and had hit the detector, so they moved it away. I just gave the security guard a big smile, handed over my bag and walked through.

IMO, the driving force behind selection is availability at the scanner. i.e. if a scanner is available, the next person is going through. Often, they are able to run everyone through without causing big lines. At other times, they allow some to bypass. The whole concept of random is just for public relations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter