Random WDW Info - I Never Knew!

Holy cow I finally finished the WHOLE THREAD....... I wish I had something to add, but everything I know has already been covered :rotfl:

Love this thread!! Read every page!
My fact is about the ToT and all of the props that pay tribute to the Twilight Zone. The one's I've seen are in the library and are:
The Mystic Seer from the episode "Nick of Time"
An envelop that says Victoria West from the episode "A World of His Own"
A trumpet from the episode "Passage for Trumpet"

I know there are more but these are the only ones I've actually been able to spot with my own eyes :)

The voice (and ONLY the voice) of Madam Leota is played by Eleanor Audley, who also voiced Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and Lady Tremaine from Cinderella. The floating head, is a disney imagineer, Leota Thomas

;)

Love this thread!! Read every page!
My fact is about the ToT and all of the props that pay tribute to the Twilight Zone. The one's I've seen are in the library and are:
The Mystic Seer from the episode "Nick of Time"
An envelop that says Victoria West from the episode "A World of His Own"
A trumpet from the episode "Passage for Trumpet"

I know there are more but these are the only ones I've actually been able to spot with my own eyes :)

I know also that there's a pair of broken glasses in the ToT library from the episode with Burgess Meredith, is the name "Time Enough to Read"? I;m not sure, but it's the one about the librarian and there's a bomb, giving him lots of alone time without work, then his glasses break.

I have enjoyed this thread so much.
Here's one for ya.
The CMs are all trained to use 2 fingers when pointing--as in giving directions-so as not to offend anyone because in some cultures it is rude to point with one finger.

I'm curious as to what culture this is? When I took traditions we were told it was for a different reason... so that when a CM points it doesn't look like they are pointing at anyone in particular, but rather a direction. Otherwise guests might think the CM is talking about them. I have heard the "cultures" rumor but no one ever knows exactly what culture it is:confused3

They are trained like Fall08CP said. I work for a hospital in Arkansas that had Disney come and do an "Orientation" and we were instructed to use two finger or whole hand gestures for giving directions for the above reason said.

They are trained like Fall08CP said. I work for a hospital in Arkansas that had Disney come and do an "Orientation" and we were instructed to use two finger or whole hand gestures for giving directions for the above reason said.

Actually, DS was a CM in DL, and I asked him about that. He said that no one told them to use the two finger point, but no one had to. The two finger point just kind of came naturally when he walked on stage. And once you learn it, it never goes away-five years after he left, and he's still using it!

And one more: the Guerlain shop in France at Epcot is the only Guerlain shop in the US that carries the entire Guerlain line of cosmetics. Its makeup is high-end enough that outside of this flagship shop, only Saks Fifth Avenue and Nieman Marcus sell the makeup line in the US.

Not true.
Nordstroms, Sephora, Dillards,Bloomingdales all sell Guerlain and there prices are usually the highest but only by about 3 to 10 more than other brands.

Originally Posted by *NikkiBell*
This story is 100% false. I was on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour in March and told that he handed out small chocolate candies to those entering the park on opening day. He noticed how long it took for trash to go onto the ground. That measurement has been used since then to designated a trash can area.

I haven't read all the way through the thread to see if someone pointed this out, but that would have been a very disturbing sight. Walt passed away before WDW opened.

Hey, if I was going to take anybody's advice about where to put my trash cans, it would be Zombie Walt.

A cm told me once that the biggest hidden mickey is the aeriel view looking down on expedition everest. so, everytime when we are going around those sharp hairpin turns, i'm thinking these are the mickey ears.

A cm told me once that the biggest hidden mickey is the aeriel view looking down on expedition everest. so, everytime when we are going around those sharp hairpin turns, i'm thinking these are the mickey ears.

I've seen the aerial view, and it's not much of a mickey that I can see...but the track layout could be seen as a humanoid, or perhaps even a yeti...can't show it at the moment too, but if you out the mountain at the head, the two tight turns are the arms, and the long loops at ground level are the legs....

Here is a Google Maps link. It's basically upside down here.

The Mickey lake in the infield of the speedway is about the same width as Everest is at it's longest two points.

But this is the biggest Hidden Mickey...

[Edit...I can see if you look at only the mountain/building and the two tight turns, it's a bit of a squished mickey...]

This is a great thread! My best little tidbit is actually about Universal, but since there have been a few other Universal facts mentioned, I figured why not throw this one out there too (sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it):

One of the first things constructed at the new Universal Orlando resort in 1990 was the "Psycho" house and the Bates Motel. This is because Universal was gearing up to start production on "Psycho 4 - The Beginning" and the decision was made to film at the new location in Florida instead of Universal Studios Hollywood where the previous films were all made (I bet that's a tidbit that some of you didn't know either, that there was not one but several sequels to Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho"). Production was meant to take place before the actual theme park even opened, however there were several delays, and finally somebody somewhere high-up thought it would be great to have a film with the name recognition of "Psycho" going on at the park after it's just opened, so production happened while the park was operating. Soon enough, the wisdom of this decision became apparent, and the filmmakers began having major problems while filming outdoor scenes due to the lights and noise from the park, specifically the old Hard Rock Cafe right next door. One of the actors said in an interview that thousands of park-goers would line-up at the Hard Rock to watch production, and they had to assign somebody to stand down there and keep them quiet during scenes. And for the duration of the filming, at night they had to work-out an agreement with the Hard Rock to basically "keep it down".

DD was supposedly designed for the Beastly Kingdom section that never got built at all, and didn't have to do with the noise. The mostly accepted story is that after Beastly Kingdom was known to have fallen to the axe, the Imagineers who designed it and were laid off went to Universal and they built it for the Lost Continent.

I take that story with a grain of salt though...if the coaster was designed by Imagineers under Disney's employ, it would be unlikely they could have just walked with the design.

AND there WERE noise concerns at Universal, as it was built near a high school, so the rails are actually sand-filled to absorb noise, and they had to erect walls.

Since this thread is back, and I noticed I posted about Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge, and I just recently had been looking into this a couple weeks ago...

The story about DD being designed for Disney by Imagineers and taken to Universal when Beastly Kingdomme was mothballed was false.

Dueling Dragons was designed by Ingenieur Büro Stengel GmbH (Stengel Engineering) and built by Bolliger and Mabillard (B&M), neither of which I believe have ever worked with Disney. Venkoma has built most of Disney's recent designs.

Disney DID have plans for a coaster called "Dragon Tower", but it wasn't a dueling coaster, and may have been totally enclosed or had both inside and outside elements. (Speculation on my part - Expedition Everest may have derived from that design)

I've seen the aerial view, and it's not much of a mickey that I can see...but the track layout could be seen as a humanoid, or perhaps even a yeti...can't show it at the moment too, but if you out the mountain at the head, the two tight turns are the arms, and the long loops at ground level are the legs....

Here is a Google Maps link. It's basically upside down here.

The Mickey lake in the infield of the speedway is about the same width as Everest is at it's longest two points.

But this is the biggest Hidden Mickey...

[Edit...I can see if you look at only the mountain/building and the two tight turns, it's a bit of a squished mickey...]

Well, that cm lied! that is for sure the biggest HM in that forest!!! that's cool, would love to see it in person!

cinderellas original dress color in the original film is white - although it is marketed as blue.

Look at the satellite view (google earth) of the RP racetrack in the MK parking lot. That may not be the biggest Hidden Mickey, but, it is the hardest to see. You would have to be inside the fence line to see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter