RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I spend exactly zero minutes worrying about being assaulted on a plane. It never ceases to amaze me how people will find time to worry and plan over things with a very remote chance of happening, yet they'll jump in their cars to drive 1/2 a mile to the convenience store with not a thought of the risk, which is much more real. The human mind is a fascinating thing.

I spend exactly zero minutes worrying about being assaulted on a plane. It never ceases to amaze me how people will find time to worry and plan over things with a very remote chance of happening, yet they'll jump in their cars to drive 1/2 a mile to the convenience store with not a thought of the risk, which is much more real. The human mind is a fascinating thing.
Yes, it's jut ridiculous to even think about it the odds are so slim.

At the end of the day, if you're willing to pay for what you want-- and we're talking about a vacation to WDW here, folks-- then the odds are overwhelming that you'll get it.

If it's a priority, then take the money away from something that's less of a priority. Downgrade your resort, cut a day, whatever. But if it's a priority to sit with your kids-- and it always was with us-- then pay for assigned seats.

Yup. If you read my post again, you will see that I said I purchase EarlyBird to UP MY CHANCES of sitting together.

I know exactly how SW works since I fly them numerous times a year, having enough miles for a family member to fly free as a companion, so I don't need a tutorial. With EB, I have never, ever had lower than B5, even on a full flight to Orlando. And that was only because I booked the flight a couple of days before the 36 hour window of EB check-in, so I was at the bottom of the EB list. That is the only time I have ever been in B.

EB does play a factor in that I can pick the best seat possible much earlier than someone who did not pay. Even with all your conditions, I am still going to have a better seat selection than someone who has a late B or C boarding assignment. So, if the A1-A15 is completely full and you add those 15 people to a plane half full of connecting passengers, I still will probably get a few better seats and have a much better chance of sitting either together or at least behind one another. In the above situation, the person who did not purchase EB will probably only find middle seats in the back of the plane. So, yes it makes a difference.
No I read your post just fine. You said "So, I am not going to give up my seat for someone who just wants seats together but didn't want to pay the EarlyBird fee to make that happen."

I disagree with your reasoning on using EBCI as a bargaining chip but I suppose it's a YMMV situation.

I won't go into detail on your seating scenario but each and every flight can be different as it is made up of different passengers which is partly why I disagreed with your 'make it happen' wordage as upping your chance to sit together isn't dependent on EBCI. Sitting together completely depends on each flight and the characteristics of it. EBCI is only for each person who purchases it to increase their odds of available seating but still may not be squat in regards to sitting together (especially as your traveling party increases, 2 is easier than 3 which is easier than 4 which is easier than 5 and so on).

I agree with your stance but I will say with SWA Early Bird Check In isn't connected at all to where you sit on a plane because where you sit on a SWA flight is your choice of open available seating. Paying Early Bird Check In also doesn't guarantee it will happen, by it meaning seats together.

All Early Bird Check In is designed for is to get you on the plane earlier in order to increase the odds you can select the seats you want. Other factors come into play. Connections in which case there is no plane change for the prior flight, number of pre-boards and number of A-listers who have higher priority than EBCI in terms of boarding position given out, along with how many Business Select fares were sold or how many people upgraded to A1-15 at the gate, etc. Those all impact how many people can potentially board the plane before you.

In a nutshell SWA operates slightly differently than other airlines because with other airlines you actually pick your seats OR you pay a reduced fare in order to roll the dice. I wouldn't want to move my seat period but paying EBCI doesn't influence my opinion on that. I paid not for the actual seat I chose but rather the ability to select my seat earlier on in the boarding process.

In many many SW flights, I have only paid for EB once for a flight to Orlando. Since I knew that their would be a lot of families with small children on the plane who would do family boarding and DH is adamant about having a window (first choice) or an aisle, I paid to make it highly likely. I haven't paid in years though because as long as I set an alarm to remind me and check in at the stroke of 24 hours before the flight, I've never not gotten an early enough position to get our preferred seat choice in the front half of the plane.

In all my other flights on SW, I have done fine as long as I check in exactly 24 hours ahead. Earlier this month, DH and I were B30 and 31 outbound and B19 and 20 on the return. Both flights we were able to select window seats in the first 10 rows- our preferred seating. DH and I don't choose to sit together anymore because I would rather be comfortable than in a middle seat beside DH who sleeps the entirety of every flight although I have been known to switch to a middle for an incentive. On flights to MCO and back last October, with similar boarding position, my mom, sister, and I got exit row both ways because we were the first to board without a kid.

Even my kids began to opt for the more comfortable seat rather than sitting with DH or I starting around maybe 12. DD did like to be near me at that age so I would forgo the window for two aisles across from each other.

Also in my experience on many many SW flights if the child is really young, they ask for a volunteer and offer the free drink incentive. They are always really good about coming back throughout the flight and asking if you want another too. With kids over say family boarding age, I've overheard them tell late boarding families who ask about seats together, "sorry only middle seats left."

Funny, it didn't make the news in my area at all.
I first saw this on CNBC as I watch financials when working from home. They had a segment on it. More on how airline staff are not trained to address this. Here is one if many online articles.

Me personally am not concerned as IF anyone dares touch me I would be screaming calling that person out. I think many complaints are after the fact
https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.cnn...litics/fbi-airplane-sexual-assault/index.html

I need to ask a crew member about this. I work for a european carrier. I would think that in the case of a 2 year old being separated from a parent is also a safety issue or any young child. IF there was an evac. Who would be liabable if said child did not have a guardian instruct/ assist the child to get out? Can a young child understand instructions? Or understand seat belt on, no walking in the aisle looking for mama?

This is why unacccompanied minors on a flight are always in a row near an exit and known to crew so they assist.

US aviation law is different on many counts, and this is one of them. I know that UK law requires that children under 12 be seated within "arm's reach" of an accompanying adult, but we have no such rule in the US. Our only rule about seat proximity only applies when the child is under 5 years old and buckled into a carseat, in which case the carseat must be placed where it "will not impede egress", and the accompanying adult sits next to it, with the responsibility to remove the child from the carseat and leave the seat behnd in an emergency evac. We also don't seat UM's (age 5-12 on most carriers, or up to age 15 on a few of them) near exits, but nearest the galleys, where the FA is most likely to be able to keep an eye on them. (Which is a bit confusing, I know, but that's because US carriers don't designate the front bulkhead as an exit row, even though it is so close to a door.)

What is your opinion on this :

On another site a person is traveling with family and kids 2,4,6 two 12 year olds and teens. Ended up purchasing what she claims she did know was Basic Economy on Delta via Priceline and is now panicked about seats together. Claims she never was informed BE. Well if you do a mock Priceline booking it does clearly state at least twice it's Basic Economy and no seat selection.

She's called Delta and they said they can't assign seats. People are saying they most likely will be split with middle seats. Or Delta might be able to seat them with smaller kids.

If asked and you paid for your seat knowing these facts would you move. Knowing you have to agree to terms of Basic Economy prior to purchase and either chose to not read or ignore because of price difference.

Nope.

DH and I fly Delta all the time and we always get Delta Comfort (DH is 6'4"), which is always a higher rate than Basic Economy or Main Cabin. There's no way I'm trading my higher priced seat that I paid for so that my husband can be comfortable on a flight because someone opted to buy the cheapest fare possible and now wants my seat.

We just flew DD home from Atlanta and bought the Basic Economy for her knowing full well that there was no seat selection. I believe something popped up more than once letting us know that she would be assigned a seat at check-in. It also says it at the top of the column.

Maybe she should call Delta and offer to pay the difference between Basic Economy and Main Cabin at the current rates and she could get the seat assigned.

I first saw this on CNBC as I watch financials when working from home. They had a segment on it. More on how airline staff are not trained to address this. Here is one if many online articles.

Me personally am not concerned as IF anyone dares touch me I would be screaming calling that person out. I think many complaints are after the fact
https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.cnn...litics/fbi-airplane-sexual-assault/index.html
I also did not hear about this previously and I don't buy into fear mongering. However, I know that this article will be in the back of my mind next time my teen DD flies and doesn't sit next to me. One of the articles from June 20th I read said that TEN sexual assaults have been reported at BWI since June 1st. That's one sexual assault every other day. I know it's a major airport and thousands of people fly into BWI every day, but still. Sexual assault reports are like roaches. If you see one you know there are many more that you don't see. The airlines need to take a hard line with sexual predators and FAs need to be trained to respond to victims.

I'm sure that the apparent rise of sexual assaults on planes will make already nervous parents even more nervous to have their children separated from them.

One of the articles from June 20th I read said that TEN sexual assaults have been reported at BWI since June 1st. That's one sexual assault every other day. I know it's a major airport and thousands of people fly into BWI every day, but still.
Yet still, 63 in-flight assault reports in all of 2017, when 849,300,000 passengers flew. That's 0.000000074% chance of being sexually assaulted on a flight. Less than one in about 13,000,000. People are more likely to be attacked by sharks.

Last edited:
I also did not hear about this previously and I don't buy into fear mongering. However, I know that this article will be in the back of my mind next time my teen DD flies and doesn't sit next to me. One of the articles from June 20th I read said that TEN sexual assaults have been reported at BWI since June 1st. That's one sexual assault every other day. I know it's a major airport and thousands of people fly into BWI every day, but still. Sexual assault reports are like roaches. If you see one you know there are many more that you don't see. The airlines need to take a hard line with sexual predators and FAs need to be trained to respond to victims.

I'm sure that the apparent rise of sexual assaults on planes will make already nervous parents even more nervous to have their children separated from them.

If the parent(s) have this concern, they should purchase tickets on a carrier that has seat assignments and pay for their seats so they can sit together, not purchase the least expensive tickets and expect others to accommodate them.

We always buy a seat and go on the plane at the end. Usually Westjet or Air Canada. We won't fly on Southwest. I'm not running in or playing save a seat games to get a decent seat.

Fly SW almost exclusively for domestic flights and have for years. I've never observed running or seat saving games. It's always actually smooth and easy until the end when they start announcing "only middles left" Over and over until the late boarders finally accept their fate and take a middle seat. Sometimes they make the free drink offer for someone to move to accommodate a late boarding small child but no running or games.

You worry about your kid and what is best for them.
I will only be concerned with my own...

Well, actually it is a moot point, since my son is now a 6 foot plus adult male... But, whatever...

Fly SW almost exclusively for domestic flights and have for years. I've never observed running or seat saving games. It's always actually smooth and easy until the end when they start announcing "only middles left" Over and over until the late boarders finally accept their fate and take a middle seat. Sometimes they make the free drink offer for someone to move to accommodate a late boarding small child but no running or games.
I flew SW on Tuesday and a family in one row put their carry on items in the seats in front of them. It was a seat I would have liked (exit row with more leg room). Any other time I might have said something but since the flight wasn’t full I just went back further and did not have anyone sitting in the middle seat. Not sure if SW allows the saving of seats. On one trip I got the exit row and a couple got on and the man said to his friends in front of me “why didn’t you save us some seats.” He sat in the seat next to me and she sat somewhere else. He did not ask me to move but during the whole flight, I smelled some pretty smelly gas coming from someone close to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter