RCCL Liberty of the Seas!?!?

bbak30

DIS Veteran
My parents just surprised us with a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas next October. They reserved the presidential suite! I'm beyond excited.

Apparently it's docked right now and undergoing a refurb until February. Anyone sailed on this ship before? I've only sailed Carnival and next in the Presidential suite.

Looking for experience and/or tips!

My parents just surprised us with a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas next October. They reserved the presidential suite! I'm beyond excited.

Apparently it's docked right now and undergoing a refurb until February. Anyone sailed on this ship before? I've only sailed Carnival and next in the Presidential suite.

Looking for experience and/or tips!
Yep, we sailed her 10 months ago...my review is on page 8 of this board (sorry - I don't know how to copy and paste a link on the iPad). I hope you have a great time - let me know if you have any specific questions. :wave2:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/long-review-of-liberty-of-the-seas.3351685/
Edited to add the link.

Last edited:
From RCL's booking site, it looks like it will be going into dry dock for ~3 weeks in January. That long of a dry dock would suggest that Liberty is getting the same modifications as her sister ship Freedom. I'd look at the Freedom of the Seas new description to see what you're likely to see on Liberty when you sail next October (I presume 2016?)

Yep, we sailed her 10 months ago...my review is on page 8 of this board (sorry - I don't know how to copy and paste a link on the iPad). I hope you have a great time - let me know if you have any specific questions. :wave2:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/long-review-of-liberty-of-the-seas.3351685/
Edited to add the link.

Thanks, I did read your review and it was helpful!!

Is there a pool? I wasn't able to find this information. And which dining option did you prefer and why? The freestyle or regular dining?
Any shore excursions to recommend?

From RCL's booking site, it looks like it will be going into dry dock for ~3 weeks in January. That long of a dry dock would suggest that Liberty is getting the same modifications as her sister ship Freedom. I'd look at the Freedom of the Seas new description to see what you're likely to see on Liberty when you sail next October (I presume 2016?)

Ok perfect, I will do that. Thank you! And yes, October 2nd, 2016.

Been on this ship twice and loved it both times - lots to do, food it great...yes they have a pool - we always do my time dining anymore because we like to eat at different times depending on what is going on that day... Never stayed in a suite though - maybe one day:) Enjoy!

Is there a pool? I wasn't able to find this information. And which dining option did you prefer and why? The freestyle or regular dining?
Actually five pools (Solarium - adults only); two large main pools; a small (Disney-sized) pool in the kids area; and a circular "lazy river" pool, plus a surf simulator (FlowRider), and several hot tubs - including two that are cantilevered out over the side of the ship. We always do My Time (freestyle) dining, and often do dinner in the Windjammer for a change of pace. Liberty also has two specialty restaurants (Chops Steak House, and Portofino Italian) They may be adding a third during the dry dock, and Portofino will probably become Giovanni's

The above posters have done a good job describing the pools - main pool, solarium (adults only) and kids splash park/pool area. I'm not really a swimmer and for me, the main pool area was way too busy and loud, but it certainly was festive! I'm really much more of a hot-tubber and the Solarium has two jumbo whirlpools that are cantilevered out over the side of the ship...heaven!

As for food, we've been cruising a long time and really like the classic form of Traditional Dining where you are assigned a table at a set time and spend the duration of the cruise there with the same table-mates and wait staff every night. Not everybody prefers this though. My Time Dining allows you to have a table just for yourselves and can be arranged for different times of night if it suits you better. Kind of. And I say that because they will encourage (strongly, assertively encourage) you to book the same time for each evening, at the beginning of the week and then will try to put you at the same table. We had never done MTD before the Liberty and were disappointed we didn't get a regular dining assignment but I must admit it was well managed on the Liberty and once we "got over it" we really had no complaints, other than missing table mates.

There are lots of alternatives to the main dining room for dinner on the Liberty. Windjammer Buffet, speciality restaurants, Johnny Rockets, Cafe Promenade (sandwiches, snacks & desserts) and hot meals available from room service. Personally, I find the food in the Windjammer woeful - we don't eat there if there's any other choice. Portofino is excellent; the menu is very upscale, the service sublime and we find it to be a wonderful experience for the price. Chops, on the other hand, is now way more expensive than it's worth. Lunch is a little slimmer, on days in port there will not be any service in the main dining rooms and the specialities are not open for lunch. Breakfast is served in the Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, main dining room and room service and there's continental available in the Promenade Cafe. ({{shudder}} Breakfast in the buffet is particularly heinous - I actually at boxed cereal.) Do try the Shrek Breakfast if you have kids and/or a strong sense of whimsy.

I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but if you'll mention it I may have some thoughts on activities and excursions - we've been to tons of Caribbean ports. :wave2:

Last edited:
The above posters have done a good job describing the pools - main pool, solarium (adults only) and kids splash park/pool area. I'm not really a swimmer and for me, the main pool area was way too busy and loud, but it certainly was festive! I'm really much more of a hot-tubber and the Solarium has two jumbo whirlpools that are cantilevered out over the side of the ship...heaven!

As for food, we've been cruising a long time and really like the classic form of Traditional Dining where you are assigned a table at a set time and spend the duration of the cruise there with the same table-mates and wait staff every night. Not everybody prefers this though. My Time Dining allows you to have a table just for yourselves and can be arranged for different times of night if it suits you better. Kind of. And I say that because they will encourage (strongly, assertively encourage) you to book the same time for each evening, at the beginning of the week and then will try to put you at the same table. We had never done MTD before the Liberty and were disappointed we didn't get a regular dining assignment but I must admit it was well managed on the Liberty and once we "got over it" we really had no complaints, other than missing table mates.

There are lots of alternatives to the main dining room for dinner on the Liberty. Windjammer Buffet, speciality restaurants, Johnny Rockets, Cafe Promenade (sandwiches, snacks & desserts) and hot meals available from room service. Personally, I find the food in the Windjammer woeful - we don't eat there if there's any other choice. Portofino is excellent; the menu is very upscale, the service sublime and we find it to be a wonderful experience for the price. Chops, on the other hand, is now way more expensive than it's worth. Lunch is a little slimmer, on days in port there will not be any service in the main dining rooms and the specialities are not open for lunch. Breakfast is served in the Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, main dining room and room service and there's continental available in the Promenade Cafe. ({{shudder}} Breakfast in the buffet is particularly heinous - I actually at boxed cereal.) Do try the Shrek Breakfast if you have kids and/or a strong sense of whimsy.

I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but if you'll mention it I may have some thoughts on activities and excursions - we've been to tons of Caribbean ports. :wave2:

Awesome, thank you! I actually meant to ask if there is a pool SLIDE, but I've come to the conclusion that there isn't.

I think we can order from the full dining room menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have it delivered. I see breakfast on the verandah for sure!

I would love to hear your thoughts on activities and shore excursions. We will have 4 kids, ages 4, 7, 7 and 10. Cayman Islands, Jamaica and Cozumel I believe.

Thanks so much!

Awesome, thank you! I actually meant to ask if there is a pool SLIDE, but I've come to the conclusion that there isn't.

I think we can order from the full dining room menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have it delivered. I see breakfast on the verandah for sure!

I would love to hear your thoughts on activities and shore excursions. We will have 4 kids, ages 4, 7, 7 and 10. Cayman Islands, Jamaica and Cozumel I believe.

Thanks so much!
There will be by the time you board her next October. This is what's going in during dry dock in January:
Liberty.jpg

Thanks so much!
Ooooh, swanky! :goodvibes I'll likely never make it out of steerage so will never have to make that decision, but I'd probably miss the public dining facilities - except for breakfast. Do whatever you need to do to avoid having breakfast with the plebs. :laughing:

As for excursions, we've been to all the ports you'll visit. What kind of stuff do you like to do? We're into "soft-adventures"; the kind of stuff that looks amazing in pictures and implies a far greater level of bravado and physical prowess than is really involved, KWIM?

I recommend helmet diving in Cozumel; it can be done at Chankanab Park. You should be able to simply take a cab there from the pier.
http://www.seatrekcozumel.com/

In Jamaica, I imagine you'll port in Falmouth, which apparently is a "fake place" developed by RCCL for it's large Freedom and Oasis class ships. Buy an excursion through the ship to Ocho Rios - I can't recommend climbing Dunn's River Falls highly enough! It's one of those iconic places and climbing is a "bucket-list" box-checker for sure. (It's not near as difficult or risky as it looks - after all, I did it - LOL!)
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore...horexByPort&ProductCode=FY44&DestinationCode=
This is the one we did, combined with tubing on the White River, which was also awesome in it's own way. We actually booked ours privately but we were docked in Ocho Rios (on the Mariner of the Seas). I'm not sure I'd trust trying to travel from Falmouth to Ocho Rios on my own and make it back to the ship on time. For the sake of ease, I'd just book through RCCL.

Grand Cayman is different than practically any other Caribbean island. It's a very orderly, British society and the people are relatively prosperous. You will see more banks than anything else there and everything is twice the price of your other ports. It's not a super-pretty island; quite flat and arid, also hotter than h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Truly the hottest place I've ever been. 7 Mile Beach is remarkable though; breathtakingly beautiful, clear water and the softest sand anywhere. It's worth a trip and you should be able to do that on your own by taking a cab, if you wish. When we were there we took it kind of easy; DS was little then and all he wanted from the entire vacation was to visit the Turtle Farm, so that's what we did. https://www.turtle.ky/about-Cayman-Turtle-Farm If you have younger kids, they'd probably love it too. Personally, I think I'd like to have tried something like this: http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/ It's a very famous place and I'm sure tours are easily available independently or through the ship.

The only caution I'll give on planning your excursions is that if any of these are tender ports (don't think so, but not sure), be aware that it takes a loooong time to get all 4,000 people off a ship as big as the Liberty. Allow time if you book anything through independent operators - make sure they'll wait on the pier for you. (Just realized this may be a non-issue for you if your suite perks include priority tendering. :idea:).

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-9_19-29-3.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-9_19-29-3.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ooooh, swanky! :goodvibes I'll likely never make it out of steerage so will never have to make that decision, but I'd probably miss the public dining facilities - except for breakfast. Do whatever you need to do to avoid having breakfast with the plebs. :laughing:

haha, you are funny! I've only cruised with the "steerage" before and I'd happily do that again as well. This is going to be totally new for us as well. The suite looks beautiful, so I can definitely imagine a few meals in there. Especially with 4 kiddos!

As for excursions, we've been to all the ports you'll visit. What kind of stuff do you like to do? We're into "soft-adventures"; the kind of stuff that looks amazing in pictures and implies a far greater level of bravado and physical prowess than is really involved, KWIM?

We have actually never done actual excursions on any of the cruises we have been on. We had this same itiencary (I think) on the Carnival Conquest back in 2004. In Jamaica we just walked around and did some shopping, came back to the ship kind of early due to all of the beggars.
In Cozumel we went to one of the all inclusive resorts and paid a flat fee to enjoy their beach with snorkeling, their pool, bar and restaurant. Definitely worth the money.
In the Cayman Islands we went to the beach. It was very nice.

My dad wants to take the kids swimming with the dolphins, any ideas where we can do that?
Other than that, we are kind of open!

I recommend helmet diving in Cozumel; it can be done at Chankanab Park. You should be able to simply take a cab there from the pier.
http://www.seatrekcozumel.com/

In Jamaica, I imagine you'll port in Falmouth, which apparently is a "fake place" developed by RCCL for it's large Freedom and Oasis class ships. Buy an excursion through the ship to Ocho Rios - I can't recommend climbing Dunn's River Falls highly enough! It's one of those iconic places and climbing is a "bucket-list" box-checker for sure. (It's not near as difficult or risky as it looks - after all, I did it - LOL!)
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore...horexByPort&ProductCode=FY44&DestinationCode=
This is the one we did, combined with tubing on the White River, which was also awesome in it's own way. We actually booked ours privately but we were docked in Ocho Rios (on the Mariner of the Seas). I'm not sure I'd trust trying to travel from Falmouth to Ocho Rios on my own and make it back to the ship on time. For the sake of ease, I'd just book through RCCL.

Grand Cayman is different than practically any other Caribbean island. It's a very orderly, British society and the people are relatively prosperous. You will see more banks than anything else there and everything is twice the price of your other ports. It's not a super-pretty island; quite flat and arid, also hotter than h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Truly the hottest place I've ever been. 7 Mile Beach is remarkable though; breathtakingly beautiful, clear water and the softest sand anywhere. It's worth a trip and you should be able to do that on your own by taking a cab, if you wish. When we were there we took it kind of easy; DS was little then and all he wanted from the entire vacation was to visit the Turtle Farm, so that's what we did. https://www.turtle.ky/about-Cayman-Turtle-Farm If you have younger kids, they'd probably love it too. Personally, I think I'd like to have tried something like this: http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/ It's a very famous place and I'm sure tours are easily available independently or through the ship.

The only caution I'll give on planning your excursions is that if any of these are tender ports (don't think so, but not sure), be aware that it takes a loooong time to get all 4,000 people off a ship as big as the Liberty. Allow time if you book anything through independent operators - make sure they'll wait on the pier for you. (Just realized this may be a non-issue for you if your suite perks include priority tendering. :idea:).
Actually, we were told that we get priority during that time and will have our own tender boat. lol. How cool is that?!?!

Thanks for all the pointers!

Thanks! Is there supposed to be a link or something? I tried clicking on the picture but didn't get nothing. I'd love to see what changes are being made!
Unfortunately, all I have is the picture. It was originally posted on the Liberty of the Seas dry dock thread over on cruise critic. There's a lot of discussion over there on all of the changes being made.

Unfortunately, all I have is the picture. It was originally posted on the Liberty of the Seas dry dock thread over on cruise critic. There's a lot of discussion over there on all of the changes being made.

Heading over there to check it out, thanks!

For Cozumel, we did Playa Mia. We booked it through a private tour and took a taxi there. Cheaper than through the ship (by about $20-$30 pp) and we still got the all inclusive package (not for the alcohol but for the water bottles). By booking on our own gave us more time each way than through the ship (an hour extra at the end) and we still had plenty of time (I had my own 90+ minute time cushion to be back on the ship). My kids were 15, 12, 8 and 4. Loved the snorkeling (we brought our own masks), water obstacle course, water slides, and kiddie pool. I felt it was a good family choice for a beach day and we'd do it again. Food was just ok but it was really crowded with many different ships in Cozumel that day.

We just got off the Freedom of the Seas, which is Liberty's sister ship. It was our second time on the ship. So much fun!

There's an ice show that is performed on two days which is very cool to see. If you want to go ice skating you have to wear long pants and socks-something you don't normally pack on a trip to the Caribbean.

The main pool is much noisier than the Solarium pool. They also play movies at the main pool.

We did My Time Dining and it was fine. We liked having our own table. We were close enough to other tables to chat and still had some time to ourselves. We liked the Eggs Benedict for breakfast. We also ate at Sabor one night-it's a Mexican Restaurant that was just put on the ship during dry dock. The food was delicious! There were 2 formal nights.

For excursions, I agree with the above poster about booking a ship excursion to Dunns Falls. So much fun! Just an FYI: you have to wear water shoes.
In Grand Cayman, we did a dolphin swim/7 Mile Beach combo through the ship. It was pricey, but it was a lot of fun. We've also done snorkeling/Stingray City through a private operator there. The stingrays were really cool and the water is gorgeous there.

In Cozumel, we just walk off the ship, turn left after we exit the port, and walk about 100 yards down the street to El Cid. Full day at their beach club for DW, myself, and our 12YO GS cost me $50 total (and that included 3-$10 drink vouchers). When we got hungry, we'd take the 5 minute walk back to the ship, eat, and then walk back to the beach club to snorkel or just relax by their pool.

I have a TR in my siggie I swore I would only do DCL after that one, but Disney is pricing us out and sailing from Galveston three hrs away without airfare is too tempting. So many have loved Liberty, I wonder if we should try her again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter