Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

16/25 Creature of the Cascades (Luke McCain Mysteries Book 6) Rob Phillips
**Something is killing animals and leaving no evidence behind. Could it be bigfoot? Or is there another explanation?

Like others in the series, there are multiple storylines occurring simultaneously. Unfortunately I feel like one was finished way too early with little return. Still a great read.

Two more books this week. Both by Allen Eskens. Both were terrific. He only has one more book I haven't read yet. I wish there were more. Both revisit a character from one of his previous novels. I couldn't put them down.

#12 - The Stolen Hours

#13 - Forsaken Country

35/75 The Ministry of Time by Kaliane Bradley
Bit of a different bend on the time travel idea. A debut novel from the author that got a lot of praise as a GMA Book Club Pick. I liked it but didn't love it.

#33 - The Prison Healer by Lynette Noni
Genre - YA Fantasy. EvilChameleon said it was good and I agree. I give it 5/5. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
At Zalindov, the only person you can trust is yourself.
Seventeen-year-old Kiva Meridan is a survivor. For ten years, she has worked as the healer in the notorious death prison, Zalindov, making herself indispensable. Kept afloat by messages of hope from her family, Kiva has one goal and one goal only: stay alive.
Then one day the infamous Rebel Queen arrives at the prison on death's door and Kiva receives a new message: Don't let her die. We are coming.

The queen is sentenced to the Trial by Ordeal: a series of elemental challenges against the torments of air, fire, water, and earth, assigned to only the most dangerous of criminals. Aware the sickly queen has little chance of making it through the Trials alive, Kiva volunteers to take her place. If she succeeds, both she and the queen will be granted their freedom.
But no one has ever survived.
And with an incurable plague sweeping Zalindov, a mysterious new inmate fighting for Kiva's heart, and a prison rebellion brewing, Kiva can't escape the terrible feeling that her trials have only just begun.

Have I really not posted here since January 1?? Wow. I am behind! lol Okay. Let's see here...
1/18 - Mistakes Were Made by Stephen Petis - a children's book by the "Pearls Before Swine" author an odd book, for sure, cute for kids, but probably won't read any of his other children's books

2/18 -- Counting the Cost by Jill Duggar - Definitely an interesting behind the scenes look into the "19 Children and Counting" TV series, but also not what I was expecting. I was expecting more insight into how they were raised, and there was definitely some of that, but much of the focus was on the management of the TV show and the funds from the TV show. Would like to read one of the others by one of the Duggar girls, I think.

3/18 -- Girl on Trial by Kathleen Fine - YA fiction about a girl who gets involved with a "bad influence" and starts drinking. One night when she's babysitting, she sneaks out at the request of this friend. The next morning, the entire family is found dead from CO poisoning. Was it negligence, or something else? Definitely a good read. This is the debut novel by this author, and I would be interested in reading more from her, if she writes more.

4/18 -- A Knock at Midnight : A Story of Hope, Justice, and Freedom by Brittany Barnett -- Non-fiction. A fascinating but difficult read about those caught in harsh drug sentencing laws. Brittany is a corporate lawyer by day, but has a second full time job (or more!) in the evening, and on weekends, volunteering her time and talents to write clemency petitions to (at the time) President Obama. I learned so much about injustices in our legal system through this book.

5/18 -- Falling to Earth by Al Worden - This is the Apollo 15 astronaut my dad knew personally. Worden was my dad's "Radar Officer in Charge" when my dad was in the Air Force, and my dad also debriefed Worden on some of his flights. It was an interesting read, but he rambles a bit and it was difficult to find stopping points that were in the middle of rather long chapters. And no, my dad is NOT mentioned, not even in passing. I was not expecting it at all, though. But it was fun getting a peek into his life. Oh, and one of Worden's daughters is named Alison. Which my mom doesn't think my dad knew.

6/18 -- We Were the Lucky Ones - I didn't even realize this was a series on one of the streaming platforms. It's about a family of Polish Jews during WWII where all of them survived. It switched between characters every chapter, and I had some trouble following any one person's/couple's stories all the way through, since it was broken up so much, and there are multiple chapters before you come back to the same person. This was also a split read, which didn't help. I stopped reading this one so I could start the number 5 on April 8, eclipse day. Because it seemed appropriate. And I DID get to see totality. It was amazing.

And... that's it for now. I'm not sure I'll make it to my goal of 18 at this point but we'll see.

Now. On a somewhat related note, because I feel this group would be interested in this....

The “reading and books” part of my world has been on a roller coaster ride this week! Last week, it was made know through a "leak" that Friday, May 17th there was going to be an emergency meeting of the library board, where they were going to discuss possibly closing some branches. With like... a day's notice, the community came out in full force. Thanks to this swift action, the meeting lasted over 4 hours (? May have been more like 3), mostly due to citizen comments and concerns. This outcome of this meeting was the announcement that they were considering closing three branches, including the one closest to me, possibly as early as June. They ultimately decided to table that vote for 30 days. And.. Oh my goodness. I don't know if this poor library CEO realized what he was about to unleash with this annoucement, that felt very secrative. Less than a week later, further community involvement has turned this in a positive direction. A very robust FB group was started, the board got over 700 emails in under a week, and they have already admitted that they may (*cough*Uh... may?!?*cough*) have acted too quickly, and maybe they should have gotten some community input first. One board member in particular has been VERY forthcoming, honest, and is pushing back against the possible closures, saying that he is going to make sure the board looks at any other possibilities before closing branches. It's been amazing to watch. As of today, closures are still an option, but they have already backed off the June timeline, saying that just because they tabled the decision for 30 days doesn't mean they will be voting that quickly, and that they will be taking the time to look at other options. It has been an absolutely fascinating look at what grassroots efforts can do. If any of you are interesed, I'll keep you updated (And there's also so much more I didn't post here... Feel free to PM me if you want more details). But I just had to share this somewhere that wasn't Facebook, and wasn't local. Ha!

And I also apoloigze if the above is not clear. I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around it, so I'm probalby not stating things very clearly.

Last edited:
18/30 - The Firm - by John Grisham - 4.5/5

In his final semester of law school, Rudy Baylor "finds himself taking on one of the most powerful, corrupt, and ruthless companies in America -- and exposing a complex, multibillion dollar insurance scam."

This is the third John Grisham book that I've read. The other two were The Client and The Pelican Brief. This was another good story with a very likeable main character.

#34 - Fear Has A Name by Creston Mapes
Genre - Inspirational I give it 4/5. It's book one of a trilogy.
Granger Meade was mentally scarred as a boy by his religious zealot parents. He was bullied at school for his quiet, oafish appearance, which naturally made him a loner and outcast.
But one girl treated him differently—Pamela Wagner. Pam talked to Granger, took an interest, listened, made him feel like a human being. She cared when no one else did, and Granger loved her for it; and still does 20 years later.
So Granger goes back to their Ohio town. Back to Pamela. But she is happily married to reporter Jack Crittendon, who's embroiled in a time-sensitive story about a pastor who's disappeared and left a suicide note; a case swirling with suspicion and talk of scandal.

Update time!

#20-"The River We Remember", W. Krueger, 4 stars. Very irregular reading-some parts were a 3, some a 5, 4 on average.

#21-"What Next?", Shari Wood, 3 stars. Just OK.

#22-"he Forgotten Bookshop of Paris", Daisy Wood, 4 stars. Historical Fiction. Two time periods. WWII and modern day. Unlike most two time period books I've read, there were 3-4 chapters per time period. I really enjoyed this one.

10/30 None of This is True by Lisa Jewell

Two women meet by chance on their forty-fifth birthdays and they dub themselves “birthday twins.” Their lives become entwined and one of them is not quite who she appears to be.

Twisty and suspenseful, every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, it didn’t! Quick read that kept me hooked.
21/80

Once I got started, it was a quick read, but still it was 516 pages on Libby!

4.5/5

#35 - Beyond Reason: A Reese Link Mystery, Book 1 by Molly Black
Genre - Mystery 3/5 stars
In a small harbor town in Maine, police officer Reese Link’s first day on the force begins with a bang: the first homicide this town has seen in years. Reese hopes to step into her dead brother’s shoes, but with her newly assigned partner having just shot himself and a diabolical killer on the loose, Reese wonders: does she have what it takes to outwit him—and to save another life?
Reese Link is determined to do right by her deceased older brother, to fill his shoes in the local police department, and to avenge his murder. She also wants to make her father, a local lobsterman, proud. But the local force is male, and close-knight, and Reese soon learns that being accepted won’t be so easy.
Small town life on a harbor in Maine can be rough. Winters can be cruel and stretch forever, while the working class who inhabit the harbor suffer no fools. Reese knows this town like the back of her hand—but when she teams up with a State police officer, she quickly realizes she’ll have to branch out to other areas, way out of her comfort zone. She will have to learn quickly about all regions of Maine, as she hunts deadly killers wherever they may take her.
All along, she must fight her own demons, shake off the heaviness of her childhood, the depression of this town, and ask herself: is she good enough?

I really wanted to like this story. It was okay but not okay enough to pursue reading the rest of the series.

14/32 - Rich Justice by Robert Bailey

Description:
"Once the flashy, successful lawyer known for his in-your-face billboards—IN AN ACCIDENT? GET RICH—Jason Rich has fallen from grace, his reputation scrubbed of its glitz and his life stripped of the people he cares about. All thanks to meth kingpin Tyson Cade.

But when Cade is shot and killed in the heart of his territory, things go from bad to worse for Jason as he is charged with his murder.

To clear his name, Jason seeks help from an unlikely source: Shay Lankford, an old adversary and attorney almost as disgraced as Jason himself. Now Jason and Shay have even more to lose—their lives—as they dig into the dangerous truth behind Tyson Cade’s murder.

Neither time nor evidence is on their side, but after everything he’s lost, Jason is determined to save his future from the mistakes of his past—no matter the price."

This is book #3 and the latest book in the Jason Rich series. I have enjoyed each of the books!

18/25 The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn. Book 2 of the Bridgerton series.
18a/25 The Viscount Who Loved Me: The 2nd Epilogue by Julia Quinn.

19/25 An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn. Book 2 of the Bridgerton series.
19a/25 An Offer From a Gentleman: the 2nd Epilogue by Julia Quinn.

19/30 - Shanghai Girls - by Lisa See - 3.5/5

This is the story of what happens to two sisters from Shanghai. It that begins in Shanghai in 1937 and ends in Los Angeles in 1957. It was an interesting story, and I learned a lot about the period. But the book ended in a cliff hangar and I would have to read the next book in order to finish the story.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter