Ready, Set, Go-DC/BG/HHN-RIP in 7 Nights

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Forget Dumbo or die, I was determined to clear the Orlando bucket list this trip for youngest son's probable last trip before college. Where did the time go?:confused3

Self, the mr & jr spent 8 days & 7 nights ripping thru some of the best stuff that Central FLA has to offer. This will be a mostly pictoral account of our trip that began on Sunday, October 3rd.

1st up, check into Bay Lake Towers, Lake View studio. We weren't able to book the 'true' Magic Kingdom View, but managed to request and receive a great room.

We enjoyed it all, the room, the pool/hot tub, lounge & parking was a breeze! If i could divest myself easily of existing DVC properties, I'd buy here in a heartbeat.

WDWBuschGardens10c025.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c022.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c020.jpg

tv console had a ton of storage! the 3 of us were very cozy & the bathroom layout grew on us, reminded me of split baths on cruise ships.

WDWBuschGardens10c024.jpg

these are specifically for tricia
WDWBuschGardens10c015.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c018.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c013.jpg

all taken from balcony
WDWBuschGardens10a017.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a024.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a015.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a027.jpg

good view of backstage area
WDWBuschGardens10a016.jpg

splash mt
WDWBuschGardens10a012.jpg

we didn't get to MK until almost 3 pm & it was closing @ 7 pm for MNSSHP. We grabbed quick bite @ Columbia Harbor & got a few rides in before I finally got to meet macraven for quickie hi after so many years! Trip was off to a great start. We wound up so tired we skipped dinner @ Ohana & tried the food court area @ CR. Very good, limited though. DH and I had a sandwich & freshly made chips (yum!), should've shared it - sooo big. Jr had chicken nuggets from kids meal, proclaimed them ok. After the party FW we crashed as we had Discovery Cove on the schedule for tomorrow.

see the rainbow?

WDWBuschGardens10a013.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a018.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a021.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c050.jpg

few other birds about:rolleyes1 they need a controlled hunt imo, i don't buy the story they escaped from animal kingdom park.
WDWBuschGardens10a023.jpg

You can easily walk to Magic Kingdom

WDWBuschGardens10c001.jpg

and watch the fireworks in your jammies, listening to audio on tv, then hop under the covers!:woohoo:

WDWBuschGardens10a005.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a007.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a009.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10a010.jpg

Great start, Keisha!!! Love the "Orlando bucket list" reference....cant wait to see it!!:cool1:

okay.....no time to read just yet...but, sign me up!

I'm IN popcorn::

WOW!!!! What a great view, Janet!!!

I am in....

waiting

patiently

because you know how patient I am

right here

:rolleyes1

BEST.
VIEW.
EVER!!!!!
:banana:

Omg...I haveta go...now on my bucket list :rotfl:

Sounds like a great start to your trip...with THE perfect room!!

I must say...JR has changed a LOT since last year...the MR not so much ;) He's looking so 'manly'.

I love reports...especially 'pictorial' ones :rolleyes1

and I would have to agree....the sound of watching Wishes from your balcony, in jammies, listening to it on tv and then instead of fighting the masses, hopping into your bed? aaaahhhhhhh :cloud9:

Lemme know when there's more!

Let me start out by saying many times over the years i've priced out Discovery Cove, wound up on the floor in shock @ the sticker price and moved on to other options.:sad2: Apparently, the economy is sticking it to DC as they had several promos during our dates drastically slashing the price.:woohoo:

Several dates during our stay were $50 less pp than the $149 we paid, although we settled on Monday figuring if the weather was 'bad' we could reschedule. Note that we found out that they rarely ever cancel the day even if lightening-they just wait out the strikes and squeeze in the dolphin swims. Wouldn't make for the best experience imo, as the park has alot to offer beside the swim.

We booked an American Express promo (no CC required, you could use AMEX gift cards) included:

* admission to Discovery Cove
* choice of admission to Atlantis, Sea World or Busch Gardens (which we settled upon) for 1 week, option to include 2nd park for another $75
* free food (breakfast & lunch) that was a notch above standard fare & soda/water/beer (mostly beer:laughing:).
*1 picture of group
*all amenties of discovery cove as well as dolphin-safe sunscreen

My only complaint is what i consider to be excessive gouging on the Photos/CD/DVD:scared1:. Granted i've only sprung for photopass once (shared with a family member) but DC's least expensive option to obtain the photo CD is close to the price of admission! They did throw in bunch of 8 X 10s, key chains, photo frames, etc. (more than stated in the package).
M100410_00_0680.jpg

dolphins like to have their bellies scratched, who knew?

M100410_00_0683.jpg

i was worried they'd feel slimey ala a fish, but their skin had more of a rubber-like feel.

M100410_00_0702.jpg

caught the old man cheating on me

M100410_00_0650a.jpg

The key to an enjoyable day is to arrive early as dolphin swim times are assigned on first-come basis. We wound up with noon which worked well, allowing us to explore the lay of the land, stake out a spot to call home for the day (not necessary as there were ample chairs/umbrellas), grab breakfast and get some snorkel time in pre-swim.

The snorkeling was amazing! I saw more fish in the 1st 5 minutes than I've ever seen on any snorkle trip.:banana:There had to be hundreds of rays (sans barbs hooray!). It was a bit disconcerning though when the large ones (as in a good 6 feet in width) would swim right over/under you...something about seeing a group of them heading straight toward you when swimming in 20 feet of water that makes you hesitate even when you know you're safe!

btw, the pictures here were all taken with either a cheapo vivitar with a housing i bought @ walmart few years ago and a fancier Olympus i got early this year. I find it interesting that it's difficult to determine which pictures came from which camera.

WDWBuschGardens10c004.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c005.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c013.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b025.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b037.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b051.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b077.jpg

Really nice beach area
WDWBuschGardens10b019.jpg

DS & I getting ready to enter lazy river area, thru cave behind us

WDWBuschGardens10b081.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b064.jpg

after the cave/grotto area, you had section past the stingrays, then the water got deep near 1st exit to aviary. The 1st pass thru we skipped it and enjoyed the scenery. I would advise anybody not a strong swimmer to grab a float as the water does get deep in several sections and there are some strong currents that can easily tire you.

this is the water curtain that keeps the birds in the aviary
WDWBuschGardens10c014.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10b070.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c022.jpg

WDWBuschGardens10c020.jpg

Words of warning on the aviary;)

*it's rather extensive and you can get turned around easily if entering from 'land' vs the lazy river.

*they do provid u with cups of yuck (i.e. food, some of it still moving) to feed the birds

*if a bird lands on your head you must stay until it decides to leave. I had to wait 20 minutes before 'mine' left. Don't even think about shaking your head, they dig in for dear life.

WDWBuschGardens10c031.jpg

not only did the staff photog take my pic above (and not a very professional one either imo) everybody in the avairy made sure to take my pic too:rolleyes1.

oh sure, just keep on walking lol

WDWBuschGardens10b082.jpg

one final DC suggestion is to hit the showers before the end of day rush! The number is rather limited, i waited approximately 20 minutes at 4:00 pm (park closed at 5:30 pm). The line stretched out the door by the time i was done. Problem seemed to be that most guests were using the showers to both wash off & dress:confused:, instead of transferring to the dressing rooms across the aisle. The shower room was very clean, plenty of fresh towels, toiletries etc., however; the water pressure was somewhat weak might be another factor in longer shower times.

We all agreed we'd be thrilled to return, but would probably skip the dolphin encounter and concentrate on the snorkling unless another great deal materialized.

Great pics and report Janet...keep it coming!

Sorry I missed you guys this trip but we'll get together next time for sure!
:thumbsup2

Joining in. :goodvibes

We were at DC the day after you guys! We had a fabulous time too, but I have to agree with your comments regarding the photo prices and the lazy river - definately tired me out (I'm the not-so-good swimmer in our family:guilty:).

You look so thrilled to have a bird on your head! :lmao:

20 minutes? Seriously? At some point I'd have probably needed to bend down to tie my imaginary shoe or something. Geez. :laughing:

The snorkeling pics are great and I love the one of you guys giving the dolphin a belly rub. And how dare your hubby kiss another... ummm... mammal... ;)

Great pics and report Janet...keep it coming!

Sorry I missed you guys this trip but we'll get together next time for sure! :thumbsup2

i heard it from the guys the whole trip that i had dropped the ball by not attending HHN on Sunday...i told them we should've stayed another night.;)Next time for sure

Joining in. :goodvibes

We were at DC the day after you guys! We had a fabulous time too, but I have to agree with your comments regarding the photo prices and the lazy river - definately tired me out (I'm the not-so-good swimmer in our family:guilty:).

im a strong swimmer, but was happy to have a noodle in the lazy river after the 3rd go-around in the afternoon...i slept like a log that night

You look so thrilled to have a bird on your head! :lmao:

20 minutes? Seriously? At some point I'd have probably needed to bend down to tie my imaginary shoe or something. Geez. :laughing:

The snorkeling pics are great and I love the one of you guys giving the dolphin a belly rub. And how dare your hubby kiss another... ummm... mammal... ;)

i was vain enough to know i looked water-logged by the afternoon, certainly didn't want all the strangers taking my picture:rolleyes1i have no qualms posting it here though lol. I just kept thinking, don't pooh please.

jury is out as to whether im warm-blooded or not
aliensmiley.gif
although i did pass the full body scan flying out of PIT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter