• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rec'd Subpoena, but on Vaca

MelanieRI

Mouseketeer
I'm so upset! I recieved a subpoena to go to court for the day I leave on our Disney vacation! You would not believe my luck! I'm a nurse, I'm working a 12 hr shift the night before. I was going to go home and sleep for a few hrs and then leave for Disney. Oh, wait...guess what....suddenly I have to go to court, too!!

I just recieved the paper yesterday. I'm freaking out. When I got divorced our state automaticaly started a bookkeeping service where they collect the child support directly out of my ex-husband's paycheck. Well, he was out on short-term diability two times and didn't pay during those time. Now, they are after him for those amounts and they have me listed on their side for the court action against him. The total of those amounts wouldn't even add up to the amount of money it would cost me to change my flights and hotel ressies.

I called the family court office and was told to call some case worker for the state. I've left message after message for the past two days trying to get ahold of this guy explaining my situation. I have heard nothing back.

So, I'm wondering if should call my divorce lawyer, also something that will probably cost me more then what my ex owes. HOW IS THIS HELPING ME??? I just want the state of RHode Island to BUTT OUT!

Ok, just needed to vent. I hope I don't have to miss my vacation!!!

I'd contact your lawyer. I work in the courts (for a Judge) and I don't see why they couldn't continue the hearing, or else move your appearance to a different day. I can't believe they'd actually be calling you to the stand for something like that, and if they wanted testimony, they could take a deposition from you whenever they wanted. You might even try to contact the attorney that subpoena'd (sp?!) you and explain your situation.

I would take it seriously though. They can jail you for ignoring a summons.

Good Luck!!!!!

I'm so upset! I recieved a subpoena to go to court for the day I leave on our Disney vacation! You would not believe my luck! I'm a nurse, I'm working a 12 hr shift the night before. I was going to go home and sleep for a few hrs and then leave for Disney. Oh, wait...guess what....suddenly I have to go to court, too!!

I just recieved the paper yesterday. I'm freaking out. When I got divorced our state automaticaly started a bookkeeping service where they collect the child support directly out of my ex-husband's paycheck. Well, he was out on short-term diability two times and didn't pay during those time. Now, they are after him for those amounts and they have me listed on their side for the court action against him. The total of those amounts wouldn't even add up to the amount of money it would cost me to change my flights and hotel ressies.

I called the family court office and was told to call some case worker for the state. I've left message after message for the past two days trying to get ahold of this guy explaining my situation. I have heard nothing back.

So, I'm wondering if should call my divorce lawyer, also something that will probably cost me more then what my ex owes. HOW IS THIS HELPING ME??? I just want the state of RHode Island to BUTT OUT!

Ok, just needed to vent. I hope I don't have to miss my vacation!!!

I'd look into whether they can continue the case until after your return or whether the parties would agree to take your testimony via deposition, as the PP suggested.

I feel you pain. My DH works in Law Enforcement, and I can't tell you how many times he's gotten a subpoena right before our vacations! Surely they'll work with you. If they don't return the call, then I'd march myself down to the office and sit there until I saw someone.

Good luck!

Lori

Well...no update yet. I called my divorce lawyer and made an appointment. I also called the court...again..this time to see if there was any way to see if we could be seen in the morning (my flight is at 5 pm that day) and was told that if I call the day before I might be able to ask the clerk to have my case seen as one of the first because I have plane tickets. I'll see what my lawyer says, but I have to wait until Monday. I work the night shift (7pm - 8 am) the night before as a nurse. If we can't work our weekends then we're responsible for getting coverage and I can't trade that night with anyone since I go on vacation the next day. UGH! Calling in sick is a big no-no. They'd rather you work with a mask then call out sick (Yes, this is a hospital of all places!) Pluis how great does it look to call out sick the day before my vacation. lol I'm going crazy! Either way it's going to be a horrible day! HOpefully, I'll make it to DIsney that night and it be a wonderful next day!!:wizard:

Write a letter and fax it to the Court and if there is a Judge listed, fax it or email it to him also. You can WITHOUT A DOUBT get this adjourned. Dealing with the court system is not fun and it's a constant battle but you will eventually get through -- just make sure to document your calls and any correspondence/emails you send. Good luck and keep trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter