Received my DVC video in the mail , a couple of questions

minnieandmickey

Queen of the run on sentence!
We received the DVC video in the mail and we think we are sold, the only questions is how many points should we get, more then likely we would use the points every other year. Also, how much do the annual dues usually run, and are they incorporated in the payment every month? We are thinking of maybe buying a resale since we may get a better deal and have a selection of where we want to buy instead of being stuck with one option, has anyone bought a resale and what was your experience with it? Any advice would be great!

The number of points for a new contract start at 150. After that,you need to determine what time of the year you always plan on going,the length of your stay and the size room. Since you plan on going every-other year you only need to purchase half that total because you'll always bank one year,( unless the total you come up with is less then 300,then your locked into the 150 minimum). What you'll find though is that you'll wish you had purchased more. It's like an addiction,but a good one.

I called DVC this week and asked if they could send me some financial information. Bettie Pleasant (who is as wonderful as her name) sent us a sheet that broke down what point increments there were, the price and the payment per month epending on how long you financed it for. It also showed what deposit you had to put down and what the dues were per year or month if you paid them that way. It also came with a sheet that explained how many points per night and at the different times of year.:D

So just give them a call, she even faxed the information to me, so I did not have to wait forever to see it on paper!

tinkrbells:smooth:

The above posters are right on with their replies. The annual dues are determined but how many points you buy. I would also add that you should buy where you want to stay most. I'm sure you have probably already heard that. If its OKW or BWV then look for a resale. If you prefer VWL, VB, or HH then I would compare buying directly vs a resale. Remember to ask how many points have been banked or borrowed when contemplating a resale.

We bought from Disney in 1994 and also bought a resale in 1999. Both experiences were painless. We did save a lot of money on our resale, $ 3000 to be exact. Of course things have change a little but with the economy in it's unsettling situation people are looking to get out of their DVC membership. If you are interested in a good resale contact give me an email and I can suggest a great agent. There is also the sponsor of this website. It isn't a bad idea to have more than one agent since they all don't have the same listings.

Good luck

Ed
DVC 1994

As many people on this board will tell you, purchase your points where you would like to stay most often.

The 11 month reservation window is very important now that two of the WDW resorts are sold out. This might mean you will need to look at resells if you want to be in the Boardwalk area until the BCV become available in Fall 2002.

We purchased 150 points at BWV just prior to BWV selling out. Our intention was to visit WDW every other year. That hasn't been the case (or will it be in the future:)) Once you are a DVC member, it seems like your trips become more and more frequent. We are now trying to figure out a way to purchase additional points.

Hi,

We bought a Boardwalk resale this summer. Based on the cost of the VWL at the time, we saved about $1200 even after closing costs and we got the resort we wanted - Boardwalk. It was a quick painless experience, we used Jackie (sp?) at A Timeshare Broker (check out their website at http://www.atimeshare.com/disney/ )

I would highly recommend going this route- and a piece of advice - (even though I know folks that are selling their timeshare are going to be mad at me) start your offer out low. Our resale was offered at $72/point, we offered $67 and they accepted, so don't let the offer price intimidate you, the worst thing they can do is say no and you can inch up or try another resale. Its certainly a buyer's market right now. Best wishes,

We bought resale through Shontell Crawford at The Timeshare Store. We wanted to buy at OKW (we enjoy the relaxing atmosphere) so we had to buy resale. We bought 230 pts. because it was closest to what we needed (280-300) at the time. I am now in the market for 50-70 pts to add-on.

Take into account that your family may grow (we now need the 2 BR) and get enough points if you go resale. It is harder to find a small contract through resale.

Either way...........you'll love your decision.

Just another comment about small point resales. Some of the closing costs are fixed regardless of whether you buy 50 or 2000 points. When we purchased a resale of 230 points at OKW in 1999 (from the same place/person as rbuzzotta mentioned), these fixed costs amounted to approximately $400 (or about $2 per point). These costs on a 50 point addon would significantly raise your per point costs. When you purchase directly from Disney, these costs are paid by DVC so "what you see is what you get".

We have purchased both directly from Disney in 1995 and from Shontell at The Timeshare Store in 1999 and both transactions were nothing short of wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter