Reclining Seats Revisited (Okay, Now I'm a Believer)

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
I followed the recent thread on reclining airline seats with great interest. Like others, I was wondering what airlines have seats that recline so severely that you cannot even use your tray table. In dozens of flights on various airlines (Delta, ATA, American, United, Air Canada), I had never run into that situation...until now! I can vouch that it does happen if you are in seat 7 A, B, or C on one of ATA's stretch 757's.
We were supposed to be on a different aircraft when I booked the tickets, but we were switched. Normally I love the stretch planes, but those seats happen to be in front of the lavatory, so they do not recline. Still not necessarily a problem...we often sit in exit rows that don't recline because there's another exit behind them. We were in the window and middle seats, and the people in front of us spent as much time as possible reclined. Their seats literally came so far back that I could not use my tray table, and my husband could not get to his carry-on bag under the seat. We aren't lightweights, but we're not Pooh-sized either, and we've never had this problem before.
Hubby asked politely if the man in front of him could at least move up until he got his bag out, since we could not move our own seats, but the guy just mumbled something unintelligible and then ignored him. I recalled that someone in the thread had said that people must put their seats upright during drink service if they are interfering with the tray of the person behind them. Not true, at least on ATA! Since the people in the seats were ignoring us, I showed the flight attendant and she just shrugged and said, "Yeah, that happens if you can't recline."
On the same thread, I remembered that it said you can prevent a person from reclining by wedging your knees. I didn't try it soon enough, but well-placed knees at least made the woman in front of me put her seat up slightly (and I do mean slightly!). Since there was no way I could have some soda or take a nap, I spent the flight poking my knees through her seat in various positions, just hoping that she would dare to say something to me. Of course, she never did...I'm sure she had to know what I was doing. The other guy in our row at least had some relief, since he could sit facing the aisle once we got airborne.
So for those who are skeptical, I assure you that excessive reclining is possible, at least in certain spots on certain aircraft. If you are flying ATA, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE ROW 7 ON THE STRETCH 757'S!!!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We flew on one of those stretch 757s on ATA the day before 9/11/01.. At the time the plane was about 1 week old.. We were in row 7 as well, right in front of the lavatory.. Would not pick that seat again.. On our flight the seats in front of us didn't recline. I could see the lady in front of us trying to recline throughout the flight and it wouldn't go back.. I wonder if on the plane you were on the seat back recline lock was removed. Maybe people (like the lady in front of me) complained to ATA.. That flight was rough enough with the lav door being slammed every 3 to 4 minutes, it would have been unbearable if I had a person's head in my lap the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter