reef safe sunscreen

ten822

Mouseketeer
I'm assuming the reef safe sunscreen that is required is available for purchase at Aulani and the ABC stores? How much does it cost in each place?
Should I just try and find some at home and bring my own? Do they really enforce it on the beaches?

I'm assuming the reef safe sunscreen that is required is available for purchase at Aulani and the ABC stores? How much does it cost in each place?
Should I just try and find some at home and bring my own? Do they really enforce it on the beaches?
Any store on the islands sell reef safe,,they are not allowed to sell anything else. There is no one checking you sunscreen that you bring from home.
That being said,,,the small extra cost for sunscreen on the islands is well worth it to keep the coral around fo many more years.

I suggest Costco first and if they don’t have what you want or need Target has a large selection followed by ABC Store near Aulani. Don’t waste your time at Aulani as it is expensive and very little selection. Like @mort1331 said do your part Hawaii is a very special place and has a delicate eco system.

Im a sun bum fan too, but honestly everyone makes reef safe sunscreen now, even some store brands are reef safe and I bet much cheaper at home than the vacation destination.

Wonder if anyone will actually answer the question about pricing....im curious too.

When you search reef safe, you find sunscreen that actually says reef friendly and are free from the oxy-stuff. But apparently there are other ingredients in the oxy-free stuff that aren't good for reefs either...

Wonder if anyone will actually answer the question about pricing....im curious too.

When you search reef safe, you find sunscreen that actually says reef friendly and are free from the oxy-stuff. But apparently there are other ingredients in the oxy-free stuff that aren't good for reefs either...
I look for the ones that are Hawaii certified or whatever it's called.

Thx for starting this thread - this was on my list of questions too!! I was thinking it's probably just as easy to pick up @ Target when we stop for supplies on our way to the resort.

The store at Aulani will have some, along with the ABC store across the street. Not sure about the cost unfortunately.

Sun Bum is a good brand if you want to buy some before you leave. If you find a sale here on the mainland it will almost definitely be cheaper than anywhere on the island.

We bought at costco when we arrived....I think it was blue lizard or something like that. It had been recommended

We bought at costco when we arrived....I think it was blue lizard or something like that. It had been recommended
This is what we use when we come to Hawaii and in fact I just bought a new tube on Amazon this month, got it with my subscribe and save items and got another 15% off, win for my wallet, win for the reef and coral ;-)

Well folks, after Googling the Sun Bum sunscreen and seeing how pricey it was I went to the Kapolei Target website to see just what they sell there for sunscreens and I saw that they had a spray can of their own UP & UP brand which came up as a choice. So I quickly ran to double check the ones I already have here at home because that's what I normally buy and both of the newer lotions and sprays that I have say "Reef Conscious Formula" on them!!! So there ya go - another option that's at a more affordable price point in case anyone cares about price ($18.49 / 6 oz. Sun Bum spray VS $9.69 / 7.3 oz. UP & UP in Kapolei). I also saw they sell some Neutrogena, Coppertone and Banana Boat products so you can check what you may already have if those are your preferred brands.

Last edited:
I love the Kokua sunscreen. It's locally made and works really well.

We ordered off of Amazon before we went to St. Thomas last summer, but I did buy some at the ABC store near our hotel on the Big Island. It was a few dollars more that Amazon but not outrageously more expensive.

My local Target sells reef-safe sunblock, so I always buy ahead of time and pack it for Aulani trip.

I just ordered some on Amazon for a cruise stop in Cozumel. They had Sun Bum and many others in both lotion and stick form. Maybe even in spray also but I'm not a fan of sprays so I overlooked those.

We bought some at Target in Kapolei to keep our bag weight down since we try to pack 5 of us into one suitcase and then when we went to leave we give it someone else to use when we hand off our popcorn bucket to another DVC Memeber

I love the Kokua sunscreen. It's locally made and works really well.

We ordered off of Amazon before we went to St. Thomas last summer, but I did buy some at the ABC store near our hotel on the Big Island. It was a few dollars more that Amazon but not outrageously more expensive.
I just looked on amazon- the 3 0z tube of kokua is $29😳

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter