Rent pts for VWL or buy AP for best rate at AKL?

cwnhokie

DIS Veteran
What would you do? We are going for a couple days in May to stay on property to check it out and relax after a week in a vacation home with all of the extended family. I have narrowed it down to either renting pts to stay in a studio at VWL or buying an AP to get the BRP at AKL, standard view. The DDE would come in handy with the AP because we are treating Grandma and Granddaddy to dinner at V&A as a Christmas present. What would you do? It's for me, DH, DS3 and DS5. Thanks for your opinions!

IMHO, there is little point in going to the AKL if you are going to stay in a standard view. I'd go for the savanah view - especially if I could get an AP rate.

That said, I'd probably go with the VWL studio. Aren't you considering DVC? If so, it would be a good way to see what DVC accomodations are like at the VWL. Or are you a new member? Just can't remember, sorry. Anyway, if you are a new member, I'd probably buy the AP no matter what - that DVC discount really makes the AP tempting, especially becasue you can then get the DDE. If you are a member, you can have points transferred to your account and thus have some more control over the reservation options.

Whatever you decide - have a wonderful trip!

Best wishes -

Well, 20% off the Victoria and Albert's bill would be significant. Also, with AKL, you will all get a real bed rather than a bed and a pull out (unless you are planning to rent at OKW, in which case you will also get two beds).

My daughter spent her honeymoon at AKL and didn't like it - rude staff and rude guests. She missed DVC accomodations (they wanted to try something new). She said never again. She thinks DVC members are just nicer to be around (imagine that - ;) )

I would pick VWL. Especially if you are wanting to investigate DVC, I'd go with VWL.

Yes we are still investigating DVC, don't know where DH is currently with the investigation. We just got slammed with some personnal property taxes we weren't exptecting, so that put a kink in things. I would love to take advantage of the current promotion and use our new points for our trip in feb/march, but I think DH wants to wait and try it out first.

I missed that you were talking aboput standard view at AKL. No, if I were you and going to stay at AKL, it would be Savanna view or nothing. We loved our stay at AKL, but it would have been nothing without the Savanna view.

Do you plan to visit WDW again in the next year? If not, I wouldn't recommend the AP as the room discount isn't guaranteed. I would also pick the VWL or even a regular room at the WL over the AKL. We stayed there and it was novel, but we weren't that impressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter