Renting DVC points to friend for WDW trip. How?

chuckcorden

DVC member, Pirates of the Caribbean fan, UConn fa
A friend who knows that I am a DVC member has asked if I would be willing to rent points to him and his wife for a wedding anniversary trip to WDW. I have no problems with the idea since I have sufficient points. However, I have never done this before and I am not too sure of how to proceed.

1) The date of his trip will fall within my own trip to the World. Could this be a problem when I make reservations for his trip?

2) (actually related to 1)) When I do make reservations do I make them in my name or do I tell Customer Relations that I am renting my points to X?

3) If I am able to get by 1) and 2), how do I value the rented points? Do I base it on what a vacation would cost at the particular resort? Or do I place a dollar amount on the number of points? I'm not looking to soak him but I don't want to just "give" the points to him.

Hi, since I just made several reservations for other people I think I can answer most of your questions.
1) You should be able to make reservations for a guest (which is what your friend is called when you call Member Services) at the same time as your stay at Disney.
2) You will need following information from your 'guest' when you make a reservation, and it will be in their name:
Check-in and check-out date
Size of unit
Name of all adults/children staying in the unit
Address and phone number
Ages of children if any

3) It is easiest to charge per point, the going rate is somewhere near $11, but does vary with every member. This is more than fair since it is much less than if your friend made the same reservation. This way your friend can look at the point charts and decide himself how much he wants to spend on his reservation.

When you complete the reservation you will receive a written confirmation from Member Services which you can then give to your friend. If he decides to cancel there are implications to you, but that is a whole another topic.

Hope this helps.

A friend who knows that I am a DVC member has asked if I would be willing to rent points to him and his wife for a wedding anniversary trip to WDW. I have no problems with the idea since I have sufficient points. However, I have never done this before and I am not too sure of how to proceed.

1) The date of his trip will fall within my own trip to the World. Could this be a problem when I make reservations for his trip?

2) (actually related to 1)) When I do make reservations do I make them in my name or do I tell Customer Relations that I am renting my points to X?

3) If I am able to get by 1) and 2), how do I value the rented points? Do I base it on what a vacation would cost at the particular resort? Or do I place a dollar amount on the number of points? I'm not looking to soak him but I don't want to just "give" the points to him.

There is no need to tell MS that you are renting points. I just setup a Magical Gathering for my DW's family. A Grand Villa for two sisters and their families, her Mom and a niece's family plus a studio for a nephew and his family. We will be staying in a two bedroom villa at the same time. They asked for everyone's names, addresses, phone numbers and whether they are adults, children or infants. The reservation confirmations will come to me and then I will pass them out. I will pay for the travel insurance just in case one or any of them back out at less then the 31 day window.
This past winter I rented points for $10 per point.

As to value, there are a lot of theories. Some people figure that renting to friends means charging less than renting to strangers - maybe have them cover your cost of dues. Still others would charge the going rate, or charge nothing at all. And some wouldn't rent to friends for any price due to the potential strain on friendships.

I'm in the "cost of dues to friends" camp - maybe a little more. However, that would be if I truly had "sufficient points" - or rather, points in danger of going to waste - since I can bank my points, since I can donate them or give them to relatives or use them to take guests, I don't have "sufficient points." You don't want to get yourself in a situation where your friends took a trip at a considerable discount, and two years from now you are paying cash rate for your mother in law's studio because you are out of points (or worse yet, adding on so you can subsidize your friends Disney vacations!)

Aaah, there is so much to learn. I have let my points expire in the past (foolish on my part). Can you tell me how you go about donating points if you have some left?
Thank you.

We are bringing friends w/ us for Thanksgiving this year. We are charging 50$ per nite for a boardwalk studio. The ressies are in my name on both (seperate) rooms BUT it shows their name and address and is sent to me. I did need to give the ages of the boys. This is good if you are both travelling seperate, at least they will be able to check in. Have a great time!

Aaah, there is so much to learn. I have let my points expire in the past (foolish on my part). Can you tell me how you go about donating points if you have some left?
Thank you.
I think Crisi means making a ressie with the points and donating that to a charity. You can't donate points to a charity because they would not be DVC members and therefore would have no way to use the points.

Bear in mind, though, if you donate a ressie to a charity, that is NOT a deductible donation.

Thanks for the info, it's something to keep in mind. I just thought there might be something already set up with some organization, such as 'Make-a-Wish Foundation".

I think Crisi means making a ressie with the points and donating that to a charity. You can't donate points to a charity because they would not be DVC members and therefore would have no way to use the points.

Bear in mind, though, if you donate a ressie to a charity, that is NOT a deductible donation.

Thanks for the info, it's something to keep in mind. I just thought there might be something already set up with some organization, such as 'Make-a-Wish Foundation".

I donated a weekend ressie to volunteers at Give the Kids the World. I contacted the organization and told them what I wanted to do....they came back in a few days with the names/informations of the volunteers...it went smoothly. Just something to think about.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Great :idea: , thanks Bobbi.
--Marina

I donated a weekend ressie to volunteers at Give the Kids the World. I contacted the organization and told them what I wanted to do....they came back in a few days with the names/informations of the volunteers...it went smoothly. Just something to think about.

That is hot!
Chris

Thank you everyone who responded to my questions. I really appreciate the advice and assistance that can be found on this message board.:yay:

Thanks again.

remember to tell your friends about DDP - which you would have to add to their reservations - also DME - which again you would have to add.

remember to tell your friends about DDP - which you would have to add to their reservations - also DME - which again you would have to add.

Thanks. The DDP I already planned on. However, I was wondering whether DME was available to guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter