Report on Disney's First Private ABD New Zealand, Dec. 2022

Cheyenne66

Earning My Ears
My group of seven just returned home from Disney's first private adventure in New Zealand. While there were many positive aspects to the trip, it's clear Disney has many kinks to work out in handling a private tour. We all loved NZ. If it isn't on your bucket list, it should be. NZ is likely the most beautiful place on earth. The scenery is spectacular and the people quite friendly. Added to that, there are no natural predators and no creepy, crawlie, slithering, or bounding creatures who will do you harm so absent getting lost or falling, it is a remarkably safe place to experience the great outdoors. I can't speak to the group ABD trip, but I do have thoughts on the private adventure. I think the most significant issue is that Disney simply takes the exact itinerary it uses for 40 for a much smaller group, but a small group traveling together -- in our case two families -- is seeking more flexibility. Also, although the itinerary we received offered the activity options available for the large group, in reality, these options were not made available to us. For example, the itinerary in Auckland offers a choice of either a sail on an America's Cup Yacht or waterfront biking, but in fact only the sailing was an option. This, too, was unavailable. And in Queenstown, although the itinerary included options of a trip on a steamship and a farm show, this wasn't available. Finally, when adults were visiting a wine cave and enjoying a wine tasting, the itinerary said kids would experience an olive oil infusion activity or juice tasting. My 13 year-old was quite disappointed when this didn't materialize so the winery brought her a bottle of juice -- not exactly the same thing. Other things included on the itinerary also were not available -- in Rotorua, the initinerary said we'd see a dog herding demonstration, but did not. After we took the train to Arthur's Pass, we were supposed to visit a local brewery and have lunch there, but that was unavailable. This was replaced with a completely uninteresting tourist trap canopy walk and cafe with bad food. Punting on the Avon river in Christchurch wasn't available because it was Christmas Day -- something the travel agency could have checked on well before our arrival, and although the itinerary suggested we take advantage of spa services in our free time (and at our own cost) at the hotel in Franz Joseph, the spa had been closed for several months. Sadly, we wasted some of our valuable time in Auckland (a big city with the same shopping as every other major city from Gucci to H&M) and on unimpressive activities, leaving no time to spare for perhaps one of the most major NZ attractions, Milford Sound, which is not included in the itinerary, but should be as others consider it a must-see. Presumably, we were charged for punting on the Avon, but received no refund for this or other missing activities.

On the hotels: the Park Hyatt in Auckland is lovely. The Pullman in Rotorua is not. For those who value privacy, be aware that hotel rooms do not have separate bathrooms; the shower opens directly into the hotel room, albeit facing away from the beds. The Crowne Plaza in Christchurch is fine. The St. Moritz in Queenstown does not have air conditioning.

Some of the included food was unimpressive. The food at the Tree Top Cafe was bad and the food at the Makarora Country Cafe on the way to Wanaka was all but inedible. It would have been much preferable to eat at one of the many restaurants in Wanaka. Dinner at the St. Moritz was not very good. Our group included 3 vegetarians who often felt they had few good options. Also, when meals were included, given that they were paid for with our money, we would have preferred to have been told the budget and then been able to order exactly what we liked and cover any overage rather than being told what was covered: only tap water for example, no bottled sparkling water. Sometimes some members of our party weren't hungry so didn't order, which in theory should have allowed us more flexibility in ordering. We certainly understand there is a budget for meals, but at least in our case it seems likely we underspent, allowing Disney or the tour operator to pocket the difference.

While Disney employees manage and conduct the tours for the large groups in NZ, ABD contracts with a NZ tour operation, Pan Pacific, for the private adventures. Pan Pacific seemed to have trouble understanding we were two families traveling together and when we arrived at the Park Hyatt, there was no record of one family's reservation. Disney had failed to provide us with any tour contact information so we had no one to call to sort this out. Thankfully, a hotel manager took it on himself to figure out the issue, sending us off to breakfast while he did so. Perhaps alos because Disney wasn't really running things, we didn't receive a revised itinerary until two days into the trip. Only then did we learn that many of the things promised when we booked the trip were no longer scheduled. For the tours themselves, Pan Pacific contracts with local guides. This seemed hit or miss. Our guide in Auckland was terrible and seemed perplexed about what to show us on the walking tour, asking us what we wanted to see. She had next to no knowledge of Auckland's history. We were more impressed by our guide and driver in Rotorua and once we flew to Christchurch the role of driver and guide were combined by one individual, a truly lovely man named Chris Lewis who did all he could to make up for the (many) deficits of the tour.

In sum, we loved New Zealand, but weren't impressed by the ABD private adventure. If you are a single family or small group, I'd strongly recommend visiting NZ, but suggest booking elsewhere at least until Disney makes substantial changes to the way it handles private adventures.

Wow, that's a long way to travel and a ton o' dough for that result. Thanks for the report!

My group of seven just returned home from Disney's first private adventure in New Zealand. While there were many positive aspects to the trip, it's clear Disney has many kinks to work out in handling a private tour. We all loved NZ. If it isn't on your bucket list, it should be. NZ is likely the most beautiful place on earth. The scenery is spectacular and the people quite friendly. Added to that, there are no natural predators and no creepy, crawlie, slithering, or bounding creatures who will do you harm so absent getting lost or falling, it is a remarkably safe place to experience the great outdoors. I can't speak to the group ABD trip, but I do have thoughts on the private adventure. I think the most significant issue is that Disney simply takes the exact itinerary it uses for 40 for a much smaller group, but a small group traveling together -- in our case two families -- is seeking more flexibility. Also, although the itinerary we received offered the activity options available for the large group, in reality, these options were not made available to us. For example, the itinerary in Auckland offers a choice of either a sail on an America's Cup Yacht or waterfront biking, but in fact only the sailing was an option. This, too, was unavailable. And in Queenstown, although the itinerary included options of a trip on a steamship and a farm show, this wasn't available. Finally, when adults were visiting a wine cave and enjoying a wine tasting, the itinerary said kids would experience an olive oil infusion activity or juice tasting. My 13 year-old was quite disappointed when this didn't materialize so the winery brought her a bottle of juice -- not exactly the same thing. Other things included on the itinerary also were not available -- in Rotorua, the initinerary said we'd see a dog herding demonstration, but did not. After we took the train to Arthur's Pass, we were supposed to visit a local brewery and have lunch there, but that was unavailable. This was replaced with a completely uninteresting tourist trap canopy walk and cafe with bad food. Punting on the Avon river in Christchurch wasn't available because it was Christmas Day -- something the travel agency could have checked on well before our arrival, and although the itinerary suggested we take advantage of spa services in our free time (and at our own cost) at the hotel in Franz Joseph, the spa had been closed for several months. Sadly, we wasted some of our valuable time in Auckland (a big city with the same shopping as every other major city from Gucci to H&M) and on unimpressive activities, leaving no time to spare for perhaps one of the most major NZ attractions, Milford Sound, which is not included in the itinerary, but should be as others consider it a must-see. Presumably, we were charged for punting on the Avon, but received no refund for this or other missing activities.

On the hotels: the Park Hyatt in Auckland is lovely. The Pullman in Rotorua is not. For those who value privacy, be aware that hotel rooms do not have separate bathrooms; the shower opens directly into the hotel room, albeit facing away from the beds. The Crowne Plaza in Christchurch is fine. The St. Moritz in Queenstown does not have air conditioning.

Some of the included food was unimpressive. The food at the Tree Top Cafe was bad and the food at the Makarora Country Cafe on the way to Wanaka was all but inedible. It would have been much preferable to eat at one of the many restaurants in Wanaka. Dinner at the St. Moritz was not very good. Our group included 3 vegetarians who often felt they had few good options. Also, when meals were included, given that they were paid for with our money, we would have preferred to have been told the budget and then been able to order exactly what we liked and cover any overage rather than being told what was covered: only tap water for example, no bottled sparkling water. Sometimes some members of our party weren't hungry so didn't order, which in theory should have allowed us more flexibility in ordering. We certainly understand there is a budget for meals, but at least in our case it seems likely we underspent, allowing Disney or the tour operator to pocket the difference.

While Disney employees manage and conduct the tours for the large groups in NZ, ABD contracts with a NZ tour operation, Pan Pacific, for the private adventures. Pan Pacific seemed to have trouble understanding we were two families traveling together and when we arrived at the Park Hyatt, there was no record of one family's reservation. Disney had failed to provide us with any tour contact information so we had no one to call to sort this out. Thankfully, a hotel manager took it on himself to figure out the issue, sending us off to breakfast while he did so. Perhaps alos because Disney wasn't really running things, we didn't receive a revised itinerary until two days into the trip. Only then did we learn that many of the things promised when we booked the trip were no longer scheduled. For the tours themselves, Pan Pacific contracts with local guides. This seemed hit or miss. Our guide in Auckland was terrible and seemed perplexed about what to show us on the walking tour, asking us what we wanted to see. She had next to no knowledge of Auckland's history. We were more impressed by our guide and driver in Rotorua and once we flew to Christchurch the role of driver and guide were combined by one individual, a truly lovely man named Chris Lewis who did all he could to make up for the (many) deficits of the tour.

In sum, we loved New Zealand, but weren't impressed by the ABD private adventure. If you are a single family or small group, I'd strongly recommend visiting NZ, but suggest booking elsewhere at least until Disney makes substantial changes to the way it handles private adventures.
I’m not too familiar with ABD but it seemed like you are saying that Disney subs out the tour to pan pacific. If Disney is just using another tour operator in its place what’s the benefit of booking an ABD trip in this specific case? Would it have been better and cheaper if you just booked directly with pan pacific?

I’m not too familiar with ABD but it seemed like you are saying that Disney subs out the tour to pan pacific. If Disney is just using another tour operator in its place what’s the benefit of booking an ABD trip in this specific case? Would it have been better and cheaper if you just booked directly with pan pacific?
When we booked the trip, we were unaware that Disney subcontracts the private tour. I only discovered that when we arrived at the Park Hyatt in Auckland. When there was no record of our reservation, I asked a Disney employee who was handling the large group tour for help and she told me she didn't know anything about our group because the private tours were subcontracted (she was quite kind and did make calls to try and find someone to help me). If I were to book the trip again I would use a local vendor though in no event would I recommend Pan Pacific.

When we booked the trip, we were unaware that Disney subcontracts the private tour. I only discovered that when we arrived at the Park Hyatt in Auckland. When there was no record of our reservation, I asked a Disney employee who was handling the large group tour for help and she told me she didn't know anything about our group because the private tours were subcontracted (she was quite kind and did make calls to try and find someone to help me). If I were to book the trip again I would use a local vendor though in no event would I recommend Pan Pacific.
Wow. That seems incredibly dishonest on Disney’s part. Sorry you had such a bad experience on what I’m sure was an expensive trip.

That is a lot of money, a long trip and it seems like you could have done it by yourself - had more flexibility on where you went and what you ate - and had a better time. Glad you got to go, wish it would have been better for you.

Did you tell anyone at ABD about your trip? Is there an email/person/etc., that you can talk to someone about it? Seems like you should be credited something for this trip.

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds....disappointing. For that much money, I guess I would expect the full ABD experience plus some. Having that many activities taken off the itinerary you were sold is unacceptable, doubly so as there weren't substitute activities. I'm not sure Disney cares all that much, from the cash grab and cost cutting that's going on in the parks right now, but I'd still send a scathing letter.

ETA - It looks like Panpacific is not a luxury travel agency, but more of a "we do anything - sports to religious travel" sort of company. I'd be really upset that you were handed off to a whole different company, which you could have just planned yourself - not to mention been in contact with them about what the actual itinerary was supposed to be. Or picked someone like Tauck or NatGeo for a more luxury tour like ABD bills itself. I'm finding myself quite upset on your behalf.

Last edited:

Wow. As PPs have said, I would really encourage you to write to ABD regarding your experience. Charging you a huge premium to book a private ABD and then passing you off to a third-party vendor that doesn't provide the experiences you paid for is unacceptable. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience and greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the tour.

I just don't know what to say. I am quite appalled that this is ABD's idea of how to run a Private Tour. They tout it as such an exclusive experience. I understood that you would have a different Adventure Guide in each locale, but in several spots in the description and itinerary, they very specifically state you are traveling with Private Adventure Guides. Which to me would indicate ABD trained Adventure Guides, not a subcontracted company. And the fact that so much was deleted from your itinerary without prior notification is ridiculous. On non-private ABDs, if there is any sort of substantial change to the itinerary, we've been notified ahead of time. I'm seriously just shaking my head here. It really sounds like the trip you got was NOT the trip that was advertised and that you paid quite the premium for. I'd be furious. I'm going to agree with everyone else and suggest that you in no uncertain terms let ABD know how you feel about this trip.

Sayhello

Last edited:

I agree with OP. Given the cost of this trip, I’m so sorry that the Private ABD didn’t live up to expectations and that changes weren’t made to the itinerary like they were for the regular ABD due to the season. I was on the Dec.19th ABD and several activities were changed for us because they weren’t available. It sounds like you were a day behind us. We were in Christchurch on Christmas Eve and did Punting on the Avon. Our group asked our boat guide if they were open on Christmas Day and the guy said they were, but they weren’t happy about it. He said the owner had canceled all but one tour of a large group on that day. Some of the workers had to come in for two hours and no one was happy. I guess your group wasn’t the one they were open for or maybe the workers just didn’t show up. Regardless, the local tour company should have known.

The dog herding wasn’t part of our visit to the Rotorua farm either, but we did see it in Queenstown at Walter Peake Farm. We took the steamboat over and this was where we had our final dinner and celebration. We didn’t get to do the Arthur Pass train because it was closed on Christmas Day. We stayed on the bus the entire way to Franz Josef. Our bus driver felt this was the best way to see Arthur’s Pass and he drove slow at regular intervals and alerted us to picture spots.

As an aside, I went back to Auckland after the tour for NYE. The morning I left, I asked the bellman if he was able to see the fireworks. He just shrugged and said NYE wasn’t a big time in NZ because most NZs were on holiday. He said that’s why so many things were closed. He said from Christmas week through the first week in January, folks are on vacation. If ABD continues to run trips during this time, they will continue to have to alter the itinerary due to seasonal closures.

This is so disappointing. We were considering this trip for Xmas 2023, but I think we'll pass.

The private trip should have been amazing. It definitely should have had extras not available on the group trip.

We did a Tauck Bridges trip to Italy in April. It wasn't perfect but was cheaper than ABD and better run than the ABD Danube cruise we did in 2019. We're hesitant to spend the premium for ABD again.

The guides are the best part of an ABD trip, so it seems the Private Trip versions are not the same experience as the normal group ABD trips. Thanks for warning us.

I went on the Dec 25 2022 New Zealand trip and had a great time.

Wow, I agree with PPs that this is outrageous and that you should write ABD a very detailed email. We had looked into the private adventures a while back, and I could swear that they said Adventure Guides were on the trip--that was a huge selling point. Thanks to @sayhello for pointing out that I wasn't imagining things. At the increased price point for the private adventure, you should have had everything that was on that itinerary and more. Wow. Thanks for posting. They are now way off my list!

Actually, I can totally understand why fewer activities would be available over the holidays. Those tour guides and business owners want to be home with their families. BUT, ABD should have known that and either not offered tours during those times or used their clout/experience to come up with something else.

Actually, I can totally understand why fewer activities would be available over the holidays. Those tour guides and business owners want to be home with their families. BUT, ABD should have known that and either not offered tours during those times or used their clout/experience to come up with something else.
THIS. AND they should have notified people of the changes.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter