Resorts still charging off daily?

eeyoreandtink

DIS Veteran
Are resorts sill charging off daily and placing a new hold if you hit $100 in room charges? Can you still not prepay with gift cards?

Are resorts sill charging off daily and placing a new hold if you hit $100 in room charges? Can you still not prepay with gift cards?
I have not been since September, so I don't know if the charging policy has been tweaked, but no, you can not prepay using any form of payment.

Resorts typically charge off at a certain dollar amount. The deluxe resorts have been charging around $1000 for us lately I believe.

You could definitely pay your balance off each day at the front desk with your gift cards.

Resorts typically charge off at a certain dollar amount. The deluxe resorts have been charging around $1000 for us lately I believe.

You could definitely pay your balance off each day at the front desk with your gift cards.
So that has changed in the last 6 months then? Because 6 months ago when I booked they we doing multiple $100 holds.

So that has changed in the last 6 months then? Because 6 months ago when I booked they we doing multiple $100 holds.

I haven't stayed in the last 6 months. $100 seems crazy low to me - that's 1 character meal for us.

What tier resort are you staying at? I wonder if that makes a difference?

I haven't kept up with the "hold" situation - it may still be multiple holds. But the holds are not actually charged to your card. They are not putting the charges through each day. While you cannot put gift cards on the account in advance, you can go to the front desk each day and pay down the balance.

Enjoy your vacation!

I was there over MLK and it's the same as it's been since the new $100 hold policy started.
What they've done is tweaked things so they issue a credit totaling the amount of the hold (also done as a hold) on your final morning. So that off sets the holds right away and it falls off along with the holds, a few days later. That opens up room to process the final change as a whole. At least that's how my 2 stays at Christmas and 1 over MLK were.

No, you can not prepay in any way shape or form. They aren't set up for that at all.

I haven't stayed in the last 6 months. $100 seems crazy low to me - that's 1 character meal for us.

It's totally changed since then. No more limit by resort.

It didn't make a difference. Its all tiers. Everyone form value to deluxe were reporting the same thing.

I haven't kept up with the "hold" situation - it may still be multiple holds. But the holds are not actually charged to your card. They are not putting the charges through each day. While you cannot put gift cards on the account in advance, you can go to the front desk each day and pay down the balance.

Enjoy your vacation!
They WERE putting charges through daily at one point, but apparently not now. The holds may not be actually charged to your card, but they can tie up funds, in some cases for up to 2 weeks. The effect was that double the funds were tied up, often for an extended period.

Going to the front desk each day is a major PITA I am trying to avoid. If I cannot just pay everything off at the end of the week I will just use gift cards.

They WERE putting charges through daily at one point, but apparently not now. The holds may not be actually charged to your card, but they can tie up funds, in some cases for up to 2 weeks. The effect was that double the funds were tied up, often for an extended period.

Going to the front desk each day is a major PITA I am trying to avoid. If I cannot just pay everything off at the end of the week I will just use gift cards.
They never put charges through daily unless you went over $100 for the day.
Not sure where you are staying but most of the time, folks walk past the front desk as they enter the resort. I just carry a card with me to pay off charges, when I'm ready to do so. No extra trip needed.

I was there over MLK and it's the same as it's been since the new $100 hold policy started.
What they've done is tweaked things so they issue a credit totaling the amount of the hold (also done as a hold) on your final morning. So that off sets the holds right away and it falls off along with the holds, a few days later. That opens up room to process the final change as a whole. At least that's how my 2 stays at Christmas and 1 over MLK were.

No, you can not prepay in any way shape or form. They aren't set up for that at all.

It's totally changed since then. No more limit by resort.
So they are now doing holds only for the amount owed, not charging off daily? So if we charge to the room, they will put a credit in the amount of the hold on our account the day we check out? Can we wait until the last night and go to the front desk to pay off with gift cards?

Not sure where you are staying but most of the time, folks walk past the front desk as they enter the resort. I just carry a card with me to pay off charges, when I'm ready to do so. No extra trip needed.
Yes, but most people go over $100 day for the family when you account for food, so they were charged off every day adn a new hold placed. You are saying they aren't still doing that?
Yes, you walk past the desk but how long is the line, and how long will that take? Some times 5 min, sometimes a half hour if the line is long.

So they are now doing holds only for the amount owed, not charging off daily? So if we charge to the room, they will put a credit in the amount of the hold on our account the day we check out? Can we wait until the last night and go to the front desk to pay off with gift cards?

As for waiting to the last day, if you have room on your card for all the little holds being placed, sure. But they will pile up and if you only have oh, $500 on your card and you are there a week, you may have an issue. Even if they do issue a credit to total all those little holds on the last day.

Yes, but most people go over $100 day for the family when you account for food, so they were charged off every day adn a new hold placed. You are saying they aren't still doing that?
Yes, you walk past the desk but how long is the line, and how long will that take? Some times 5 min, sometimes a half hour if the line is long.
Charging over $100 a day is a far cry from charging daily, that is my point. We often go days without going over $100 since we stay CL and some days, never dine anywhere. I never said they weren't putting holds when you go over $100. I said they are. But they don't charge, as in a final charge, for every purchase over $100. It never was and still isn't. It's still a hold. I had a bunch of screen shots of the charges/holds on my card from recent trips but deleted them. The furvor seemed to have died down since it is really working quite well in most all cases.

As for long lines, I've never had one take half an hour. They always send someone out to check on the line and see if they can help elsewhere.

As for waiting to the last day, if you have room on your card for all the little holds being placed, sure. But they will pile up and if you only have oh, $500 on your card and you are there a week, you may have an issue. Even if they do issue a credit to total all those little holds on the last day.

Charging over $100 a day is a far cry from charging daily, that is my point. We often go days without going over $100 since we stay CL and some days, never dine anywhere. I never said they weren't putting holds when you go over $100. I said they are. But they don't charge, as in a final charge, for every purchase over $100. It never was and still isn't. It's still a hold. I had a bunch of screen shots of the charges/holds on my card from recent trips but deleted them. The furvor seemed to have died down since it is really working quite well in most all cases.

As for long lines, I've never had one take half an hour. They always send someone out to check on the line and see if they can help elsewhere.
Ok, that makes sense. I am certain I read reports of people actually being CHARGED in addition to the hold though. Maybe it was an isolated incident.

I have definitely stood in line for a half hour to get to the desk at the pop, and on more than one occasion. I don't want to have to do that every day ,so we will likely just use gift cards at point of purchase. I will just give each family member one and reload as needed.

Ok, that makes sense. I am certain I read reports of people actually being CHARGED in addition to the hold though. Maybe it was an isolated incident.

I have definitely stood in line for a half hour to get to the desk at the pop, and on more than one occasion. I don't want to have to do that every day ,so we will likely just use gift cards at point of purchase. I will just give each family member one and reload as needed.

I won't charge back to the room now. I hate the new system, and I am spending less because of it. I would pay off with gift cards before they put the charges thru. Now, it is a huge pita.

I give them a credit card to do on line check in, and that is it.

I think they're saying that they'll probably hit the $100 most days, which would also apply for us. I can also empathize with the fact that having to stop at the front desk every day to pay off the balance with gift cards is quite an inconvenience. Even if you pass the front desk every day; you have to stop, wait in line, hope for a CM that is fast and knows what they're doing....that's a good amount of time being taken out of my vacation, when you used to be able to just go once.

So it sounds like you vacation different than others on here, who are not fans of how they handle it now...myself included. We do not spend the money to stay CL, so our family eats at least lunch and dinner on most dsys which easily hit the $100. That's great that it's not an issue for you; however for many others it still is and yes I've never had a guest relations/front desk experience that has ever been less than 15-20 mins. from start to finish and this is with dozens of trips. We too have had the experiences of it taking over 30 mins., so it sounds like you've had some really good luck with the front desk; but maybe you could be open to the fact that for many ppl. a wait is almost always inevitable.

I won't charge back to the room now. I hate the new system, and I am spending less because of it. I would pay off with gift cards before they put the charges thru. Now, it is a huge pita.

Yep. It’s only 2 of us but we do mostly table service meals... usually a signature place once a day. We don’t drink, but we do get appetizers & expensive steaks. So the bills add up. I used to charge everything back to the room & let it get charged to the credit card on the last day. Our last 2 trips, I used gift cards or my Disney Visa rewards card for most meals. I think I charged maybe 1 meal & 1 shopping trip to the room. Everything else I used the gift cards, or just charged directly to my credit card. We don’t carry any credit card balance, so I have plenty of leeway for daily charges. But it just sounds like a complicated way to do things so I will not participate in it. Too much chance for things to get messed up.

I'm so glad I found this thread this am, as this has been a question for my upcoming trip in March. We stayed for one night before a cruise in 2019, so our last extended stay at WDW was in 2017. During that trip we had the DDP, and we used our magic bands to charge meal tips, souvenirs, etc to our room each day, and then I stopped at the front desk daily to use Disney gift cards to pay down the balance. This worked really well for us, as I was able to track charges and expenses daily. I apologize as I'm not trying to beat a dead horse; I just want to be sure I understand the most recent changes to the policy regarding MB charges and credit card holds.

Am I understanding correctly that at this point (mid February 2020) for MB charges beyond $100 per day, credit card holds are happening, and that the holds fall off days or weeks after. But, actual credit card charges are only happening the night before you check out?

Thanks for the clarification, Dis friends! I may need to have another cup of coffee so that I am caffeinated enough to understand all of this!! :coffee:

We have always charged back to the room and then paid off the balance with Disney gift cards every three days or so. I’m with you now and won’t be charging back to the room anymore with this new system. I guess I’ll
just have to carry the gift cards with me and pay with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter