restaurants in LA-need recommendations

kaygela

<font color=coral>was having a blond moment at the
Can anyone recommend some restaurants. We are planning a trip during the Christmas break and plan to split the week between Beverly Hills and DL. I haven't been to LA in about 25 years so I don't know what places to go to in the Beverly Hills, Hollywood area. We will be traveling with 3 kids, ages 11, 16 and 19. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :banana:

Farmers Market (Fairfax & 3rd I think) has a new area (to you) called The Grove, and there are some nice restaurants there. My friend & I ate at an Italian Restaurant, and the food there was delish. There is also a Cheesecake Factory there and other restaurants.

At the end of Sunset Blvd, where it meets Pacific Coast Highway there is a restaurant called Gladstones overlooking the Pacific - this is a well-known restaurant. If you eat there, time it so you're there @ sunset.

Redondo Beach Pier - Tony's Fishmarket is a family favorite.

There are some nice restaurants on Sunset Blvd & Wilshire Blvd -- Sunset you'll find House of Blues.

You might also try restaurants at CityWalk at Universal Studios - Hard Rock Cafe has good food.

Hamburger Hamlet is a burger place that I always liked. They had one (think they still do) right across from the Chinese theatre along the Hollywood walk of Fame.
There's a Hard Rock Cafe in Beverly Center in Bev. Hills. That's the first one, and I still like it.
There's a number of really neat places overlooking the water in the beach areas of Redondo Beach (not really Bev. Hills/Hollywood, but not too very far). Actually, there's a Cheesecake factory that has a warmed balcony that literally is over the water. Beautiful.
There used to be a little hole in the wall italian place on Melrose. Had big plates of pasta for cheap. Family run. From doing a search, it might be La Boca, but I'm not sure.
Musso and Frank's in Hollywood.
In Torrance I LOVE the King's Hawaiian bakery for breakfast. Could take it or leave it for other meals, but love it for breakfast.
Heard good things, but never been to Cafe50's in Sherman Oaks.
For a fun, different experience, I really enjoyed the Taix French restaurant, www.taixfrench.com. Pretty place to get dressed up and eat out, but not too hoity-toity.

Thanks. They all sound like great suggestions. I love the fact that they are all varied. :goodvibes

Mary Jo said:
Farmers Market (Fairfax & 3rd I think) has a new area (to you) called The Grove, and there are some nice restaurants there. My friend & I ate at an Italian Restaurant, and the food there was delish. There is also a Cheesecake Factory there and other restaurants.

At the end of Sunset Blvd, where it meets Pacific Coast Highway there is a restaurant called Gladstones overlooking the Pacific - this is a well-known restaurant. If you eat there, time it so you're there @ sunset.

Redondo Beach Pier - Tony's Fishmarket is a family favorite.

There are some nice restaurants on Sunset Blvd & Wilshire Blvd -- Sunset you'll find House of Blues.

You might also try restaurants at CityWalk at Universal Studios - Hard Rock Cafe has good food.
Mary Jo has very good suggestions.

Gladstone's is/was one of our favorites, but we haven't been there for years. We recommended it to friends last month, but they said the online reviews report a downturn. That's sad.

Also, the Gladstone's at Universal City Walk has closed, and is now a Bubba Gump's.

Woody

Zoemakes5 said:
Hamburger Hamlet is a burger place that I always liked. They had one (think they still do) right across from the Chinese theatre along the Hollywood walk of Fame.
There's a Hard Rock Cafe in Beverly Center in Bev. Hills. That's the first one, and I still like it.
There's a number of really neat places overlooking the water in the beach areas of Redondo Beach (not really Bev. Hills/Hollywood, but not too very far). Actually, there's a Cheesecake factory that has a warmed balcony that literally is over the water. Beautiful.
There used to be a little hole in the wall italian place on Melrose. Had big plates of pasta for cheap. Family run. From doing a search, it might be La Boca, but I'm not sure.
Musso and Frank's in Hollywood.
In Torrance I LOVE the King's Hawaiian bakery for breakfast. Could take it or leave it for other meals, but love it for breakfast.
Heard good things, but never been to Cafe50's in Sherman Oaks.
For a fun, different experience, I really enjoyed the Taix French restaurant, www.taixfrench.com. Pretty place to get dressed up and eat out, but not too hoity-toity.
Wow! Zoemakes5's recommendations are making me hungry.

Hamburger Hamlet on Hollywood Blvd. is a great choice -- but leave room for dessert and have ice cream at the Disney Soda Fountain a few doors down.

The Cheesecake Factory in Redondo Beach is my favorite one of all their locations. Sit outdoors with a view of the boats. Priceless!

King's Hawaiian Bakery in Torrance is a wonderful restaurant. A slice of Hawaii in California. Well worth the drive.

Woody

woody73 said:
Wow! Zoemakes5's recommendations are making me hungry.

Hamburger Hamlet on Hollywood Blvd. is a great choice -- but leave room for dessert and have ice cream at the Disney Soda Fountain a few doors down.

The Cheesecake Factory in Redondo Beach is my favorite one of all their locations. Sit outdoors with a view of the boats. Priceless!

King's Hawaiian Bakery in Torrance is a wonderful restaurant. A slice of Hawaii in California. Well worth the drive.

Woody

I soooo miss living in So. Cal.!!! Though, I could never afford to live there anymore! YIKES!
King's was a Sat. morning "must do" for us for years. Their hawaiian breakfast potatoes are the best! Yumm!
Went to Taix for the first time with a school french club, but have been a couple of times since then and was excited to hear they were still there.
I've been to a few Cheesecake factories since living in Redondo, and although the food was just as good, nothing beats that one in Redondo. Even if you don't get on the patio, there's so many great spots, huge windows. Do they still have the oyster bar? I had friends who liked to go there for Bellini's and oysters. I'll take the Bellini's, but don't care for the oysters.
Lawry's used to be a favorite, too, but it's not there anymore, is it?
And, help me for the name, it was pretty silly, like Bobby Mcgees or something, but it was restaurants with okay food, but fun because they had different themed rooms with costumed staff. Anyone know about this place? Do they still have them? For the ages of OP's family, might be fun if they're still around.
Good luck on the food search, kaygela! There are a few "must do" fast food places for me when I go to Cal. One is In n Out Burger, one is Chick-fil-a, one is El Polo Loco. I also really like der Weinerschnitzel, but haven't seen many of those around.

woody73 said:

Woody

You could make a "day" of it in the area, go to late breakfast (though, call and find out when they're serving breakfast, last time I was there, they didn't serve it all day), then wander around the beach area, or do a bit of shopping at Del Amo mall (right near King's) and then have an early dinner at Cheesecake. (I think they take reservations at that one?) Torrance and Redondo aren't too far from Long Beach and the Harbor, so if you wanted to go see Queen Mary or something in the Harbor area, you could do that with a short trek.
(I know, we're not being all that helpful for food selections IN Bev. Hills or Hollywood! :blush: Sorry about that. I spent most of my extra time in my late teenage years/early 20's in and around Hollywood, but those where the days that we would all go in for a value meal at McDonalds! :rolleyes: For special occasions, we'd go to dinner at Hamburger Hamlet. So, probably not as much help as you'd like! Though I can tell you, the ones I listed are my favorites, and places I try to get to when I'm in so. cal.

King's was a Sat. morning "must do" for us for years. Their hawaiian breakfast potatoes are the best! Yumm!

You know, I live 15 minutes from the place, but have never eaten there. It used to be an Ichobod Cranes many years ago, and I used to go dancing there w/friends. :)

I've been to a few Cheesecake factories since living in Redondo, and although the food was just as good, nothing beats that one in Redondo. Even if you don't get on the patio, there's so many great spots, huge windows. Do they still have the oyster bar? I had friends who liked to go there for Bellini's and oysters. I'll take the Bellini's, but don't care for the oysters.
The only recommendation I have for the patio is to go there when the sun sets. They've got those little white lights, and sitting next to the Marina, delish food, great atmosphere - it's really nice. I don't know about the oyster bar, but if you're talking about the bar/lounge area to the right when you enter, it's still there. We eat there often enough (great apple martinis), and almost always eat outside - only caution I have about eating outside - if it's afternoon, make sure you get a table with an umbrella. We sat next to the window one afternoon with the sun beating down on us.

Lawry's used to be a favorite, too, but it's not there anymore, is it?
And, help me for the name, it was pretty silly, like Bobby Mcgees or something, but it was restaurants with okay food, but fun because they had different themed rooms with costumed staff. Anyone know about this place? Do they still have them? For the ages of OP's family, might be fun if they're still around.
I don't think they have either of these anymore. They do still have the Portofino Inn, and now they have a Joes Crab Shack there, and that has a fun atmosphere.

You could make a "day" of it in the area, go to late breakfast (though, call and find out when they're serving breakfast, last time I was there, they didn't serve it all day), then wander around the beach area, or do a bit of shopping at Del Amo mall (right near King's) and then have an early dinner at Cheesecake. (I think they take reservations at that one?)
I don't think they take reservations at that Cheesecake Factory. I'm going to have to check that out.

Torrance and Redondo aren't too far from Long Beach and the Harbor, so if you wanted to go see Queen Mary or something in the Harbor area, you could do that with a short trek.
You can also drive along the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and stop at Point Vicente Lighthouse lookout point, and Point Fermin for kicks. Point Fermin overlooks the entrance to the LA Harbor, and you can see San Pedro & Long Beach from there - it's a nice view

I have cousins that come out from Texas every couple of years, and one of their traditions is to go to Tony's on the Pier (Redondo Beach). Well, one year I thought I would try something different, and we went to Santa Monica Pier. We looked up and down for someplace nice to eat, and finally asked someone for a nearby recommendation ...... they said that we should try Tony's on the Pier in Redondo Beach. My cousins gave me "the look" for that and still tease me. :blush:

There are some nice restaurants near Del Amo Mall, too -- Outback Steakhouse, Lucille's Barbecue (my kids love that place), Elephant Bar, Beni Hanas ...

Sorry, I don't get out to eat in the Hollywood area that often...

kaygela said:
Can anyone recommend some restaurants. We are planning a trip during the Christmas break and plan to split the week between Beverly Hills and DL. I haven't been to LA in about 25 years so I don't know what places to go to in the Beverly Hills, Hollywood area. We will be traveling with 3 kids, ages 11, 16 and 19. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :banana:
If your kids are into sports, you might try the ESPNzone in the Downtown Disney area between the 2 parks. It's always been good when we've eaten there. I used to go with friends to a great coffee shop/deli called Katella Deli that was on Katella (which is the street that runs by DL). I have no idea whereabouts on Katella it is, but it would be worth researching. When I went to visit my friends, I always requested that we go there one time so I could have their incredible pastrami sandwich. Also has an amazing bakery attached to the entry area. Have fun. Ed

We will have a car and we really don't mind driving around. We love to get out and explore different areas so the restaurant suggestions are all appreciated. They sound incredible. We may have to spend the whole vacation eating. :rotfl:

How far is Rodondo Beach from Beverly Hills?
Thanks again.

I love all the choices in LA to go eat.
In Beverly Hills there is a mexican restaurant that is sooooo good. The name of it is El Torito Mexican Grill 9595 Wilshire Blvd.
Eat A Pita is delicious 465 N Fairfax Ave (Los Angeles)
The Farm at the Grove is very yummy.
Doughboys 8136 w 3rd St (los angeles) very very good

kaygela said:
How far is Rodondo Beach from Beverly Hills?
Thanks again.

As I recall, it used to be about 45 minutes on an average day to go from Redondo Beach to the Hard Rock in BH. Longer if you go during rush hours. Mapquest is showing it as about 33 minutes.

Zoemakes5 said:
. . . Lawry's used to be a favorite, too, but it's not there anymore, is it? . . .
Closed for awhile, but now open. The absolutely best prime rib!

Lawry's Prime Rib
100 N. La Cienega Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
(310) 652-2827

Woody

Mary Jo said:
I have cousins that come out from Texas every couple of years, and one of their traditions is to go to Tony's on the Pier (Redondo Beach). Well, one year I thought I would try something different, and we went to Santa Monica Pier. We looked up and down for someplace nice to eat, and finally asked someone for a nearby recommendation ...... they said that we should try Tony's on the Pier in Redondo Beach. My cousins gave me "the look" for that and still tease me.
Too funny!

Tony's on the Pier is a favorite. We can walk there from home.

Woody

I have to second Hamburger Hamlet. We ate there twice during our stay. Yes, there is one right across from the Chinese Theatre.

woody73 said:
Closed for awhile, but now open. The absolutely best prime rib!

Lawry's Prime Rib
100 N. La Cienega Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
(310) 652-2827

Woody

Wow, I'm excited! Maybe I can entice my DH to go down there. I used to love that place! Talk about good food. And "non-foo foo" food, as my DH would say! Meat, potatoes, veggies, salad. My mouth is watering.
Is it at the same place? As I recall, it was La Cienega years ago, but don't remember for sure.

woody73 said:
Too funny!

Tony's on the Pier is a favorite. We can walk there from home.

Woody

Woody, I lived on Ave F and G for years, right up the hill from Tony Roma's and Fat Burger on PCH. You have to be not too far from there if you're walking distance to the pier......

Zoemakes5 said:
Woody, I lived on Ave F and G for years, right up the hill from Tony Roma's and Fat Burger on PCH. You have to be not too far from there if you're walking distance to the pier......
Sadly, Tony Roma's on Pacific Coast Highway has closed. (How I miss the baby back ribs with a loaf of onion rings!) But it re-opened as Chicago Ribs. Fat Burger is still there. A Buca di Beppo opened next door.

You might remember "The Strand" nightclub across the street. It's now a Bristol Farms market.

Good Stuff restaurant is still a local favorite.

Woody

The Restaurant at the Getty Center is open Fri and Sat for dinner and is a unique experience (also open for lunch most days, but dinner is the real 'experience' here). It's on the pricey side for sure, but you can get "fine dining" in just about any city, while in Los Angeles you should go for something memorable and out-of-the-ordinary. A trip to the Getty Center followed by dinner under the stars is something your kids will remember for awhile.

I also recommend the Tam O Shanter in Los Feliz, after an afternoon at the zoo or a trip to the Griffith Park Observatory...(which may have re-opened by the time you get to L.A. after years of renovation )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter