Restaurants near Sea World/San Diego Zoo

VictoriaAndMatt

DIS Veteran
We're going to San Diego to do the Sea World/Zoo thing and would love some ideas on where to go for dinner. Some place family friendly and not a chain restaurant. We like all kinds of foods. TIA!

ETA: Oh and we'll be driving so it doesn't have to be right there but within 20 min would be nice. :)

Let me know what kind of food you want. I grew up in San Diego with a dad who went out every night! I still go down there for Chargers games in the fall and eat out down there all the time. Price? Type of food? This is a post I can truly answer.:yay:I'll check back soon.

If you want cheap and good Mexican, there is a place not too far from the Zoo called El Indio. It is a San Diego classic. It is a counter service, but it was featured on food tv Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives. A good sit down Mexican is in Old Town-Old Town Mexican Cafe. It is pricier, but you can say you ate there. I know El Indio has a website. If you want more info about other eats, I can do it. My dad still lives down there and knows every place to eat...I am serious, every place.

Let me know what kind of food you want. I grew up in San Diego with a dad who went out every night! I still go down there for Chargers games in the fall and eat out down there all the time. Price? Type of food? This is a post I can truly answer.:yay:I'll check back soon.

If you want cheap and good Mexican, there is a place not too far from the Zoo called El Indio. It is a San Diego classic. It is a counter service, but it was featured on food tv Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives. A good sit down Mexican is in Old Town-Old Town Mexican Cafe. It is pricier, but you can say you ate there. I know El Indio has a website. If you want more info about other eats, I can do it. My dad still lives down there and knows every place to eat...I am serious, every place.

Thanks so much! It's funny that you mentioned El Indio because I saw that they were on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and was contimpating going there. When you say they are more pricey just how pricey is that? I'd like to stay around $20 a plate if possible.

As for types we honestly love everything Mexican, Chinese, Japanese (though no sushi), Italian (I have high standards for this though as I am Italian), American. The most important thing is a family atmosphere. My kids are on the louder side. ;)

Thank you again!

There a place called Corvette Diner north of Balboa Park that gets pretty good reviews as a family-fun place. We ran out of time to do it last trip.
Also might ask this question on Trip Advisor's San Diego boards. There are a lot of really helpful people there!

PHXscuba

We're going to San Diego to do the Sea World/Zoo thing and would love some ideas on where to go for dinner. Some place family friendly and not a chain restaurant. We like all kinds of foods. TIA!

ETA: Oh and we'll be driving so it doesn't have to be right there but within 20 min would be nice. :)

As a native San Diegan and grew up about 5 miles from SW... I would say look at resturants in the costal communities of (Pacific Beach, Mission Beach - where SW is located, La Jolla, or maybe Ocean Beach and eat at a nice place with a view. There are tons of places, family friendly, great prices and great food. Easy to get free parking, in and out to your next adventure. :thumbsup2

:flower3:
There a place called Corvette Diner north of Balboa Park that gets pretty good reviews as a family-fun place. We ran out of time to do it last trip.
Also might ask this question on Trip Advisor's San Diego boards. There are a lot of really helpful people there!

PHXscuba

Thank you for suggesting this! I think my daughter would love this place! :flower3:

What is pricey? I forgot to mention I am cheap! Neither is pricer. I think both are under 20 bucks a plate easily. Now if you read any of my future posts you will know to remember my cheapness when I talk about cost. :laughing:

I second PHXscuba. Corvette Diner is cool and a good place to eat too.

I don't think El Indio is that good any more. If we are in that area, we eat at Saffron, a Thai place that is on the next block north of El Indio. It's counter service, though they have indoor and outdoor tables if you want to eat there.

For a more "authentic" Italian restaurant, there's Filippi's Pizza Grotto, also on India Street but about a couple miles south. This is the classic Italian place with red-checked table cloths, straw-wrapped wine bottles hanging from the ceiling. And it's in the back of an Italian grocery store!

If you like burgers, fries, onion rings, and milkshakes, check out Hodad's in Ocean Beach.

As a previous poster stated, Old Town Mexican Cafe is good. You wanted to avoid chains, but a local chain called Rubio's is quite good - they are known for their fish tacos, but their chicken, beef, and pork offerings are good, also.

oh my the burgers at Hodads look so good lol, i have never heard of this place before, i may just have to add it on to our trip in San Diego
I don't think El Indio is that good any more. If we are in that area, we eat at Saffron, a Thai place that is on the next block north of El Indio. It's counter service, though they have indoor and outdoor tables if you want to eat there.

For a more "authentic" Italian restaurant, there's Filippi's Pizza Grotto, also on India Street but about a couple miles south. This is the classic Italian place with red-checked table cloths, straw-wrapped wine bottles hanging from the ceiling. And it's in the back of an Italian grocery store!

If you like burgers, fries, onion rings, and milkshakes, check out Hodad's in Ocean Beach.

As a previous poster stated, Old Town Mexican Cafe is good. You wanted to avoid chains, but a local chain called Rubio's is quite good - they are known for their fish tacos, but their chicken, beef, and pork offerings are good, also.

The Mission. The one on Mission Blvd is close to Sea World. There are two other locations, but I don't know exactly what they are close to Check out their menu. It is affordable and delicious. The portions are HUGE!!!! Ugh my mouth is watering just thinking about it...

http://www.themissionsoma.signonsandiego.com/1.html

Shoot I just realized that I think they are just lunch and breakfast...but I will still recommend them because they are so good. Get there early, there is always a line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter