"Retro" Backlot Tour @ MGM

I have a picture of Ernest's house, the book and vacuum from Hocus Pocus, and the Muppets hot air balloon. I'd have to scan them, though.

I would give anything to see the props from Hocus Pocus again!

Wasn't the back yard/fence from Home Improvement there too at one point? As well as costumes and set pieces from 101 Dalmations.

Wasn't the back yard/fence from Home Improvement there too at one point? As well as costumes and set pieces from 101 Dalmations.

There is some stuff from Home Improvement in the Prop Shop where you walk through before boarding the trams.

We had never been prior to Dec 2006, would have loved to see all the houses mentioned, we were huge fans of GG and EN.

All I have are memories, no pictures. If I recall, so much of the tour was inside the soundstages where no pix were allowed.

I remember the stage for flying on the bee (HISTK-style).
The Bette Midler movie, then making-of video.
Mickey-Mouse club taping and Star Search.
And alot more props rooms.

I do have pix of the Star Wars and Bladerunner vehicle props when they were only eight years weatherbeaten. ;)

My favorite old memory from the tour was in the old props area. They used to have Tic Toc from Return to Oz tucked away on one of the higher levels. I sure miss seeing him.

"Golden Girls" house:
GoldenGirls-1.jpg

"Empty Nest" house:
EmptyNest-1.jpg

Looking through my photos from the tour, I realized I also had some pics of the set of "Home Improvement", which had just ended on ABC. They had the whole living room and kitchen I think as well.

Kwaschitz said:

The 101 Dalmations stuff was in a different area. I'll have to dig some pics out.

I remember Bette Midler having a ticket (forgot what for now) but a bird (pigeon?) snatching it, and her nearly falling out a window trying to get it back (hilarious). It's pretty vague now, but remember it was funny at the time. I sure do miss the whole thing now too, what they left isn't very exciting :sad2:

I remember Bette Midler having a ticket (forgot what for now) but a bird (pigeon?) snatching it, and her nearly falling out a window trying to get it back (hilarious). It's pretty vague now, but remember it was funny at the time. I sure do miss the whole thing now too, what they left isn't very exciting :sad2:

Pretty sure it was a winning Lottery ticket.

The short was the first thing ever filmed at the Disney-MGM Studios, and so the film, plus the "making of" featured heavily in the Backstage Tour movie.

(the theater is the theater that the Disney Story film is shown in now)

Also of note.... Many of the sets and backdrops used during the filming used to be suspended in the "Soundstage Restaurant"..... Which was the building that Disney Jr now occupies. The Catwalks above the restaurant also used to house the "Catwalk Bar".

I know this is someones personal website (Maybe he's an Diser) but he has pictures of Old WDW. Apparently I can't post the URL. You can do a search for "Pictures from the old Walt Disney World MGM backlot tour 1990" it should be there.

I wish I could have seen this version of the backlot tour! I had no idea it was as awesome as this seems...kind of makes me sad I didn't get to see the houses and old props :sad1: but, my first visit was in 2002, and something tells me this was long gone by then. I will most definitely have to do some google searches for old pictures :thumbsup2

I always took a picture of the house from " Ernest Saves Christmas" and Golden Girls. Plus one of the houses was from the 'Alice in Wonderland' tv series they had on the Disney channel.
Residential Street was still there in 2002 because I remember being there in 2003.

But it really is a sad shell of itself. I really miss MGM from the early nineties.

Wow!!! Y'all are amazing!!! These pictures are great!!! I never got to see the Home Improvement part and I was OBSESSED with that show (especially JTT, lol!). I am so glad I'm not the only one who really enjoyed the old Backlot Tour! :)

JetsetJAK said:
"Home Improvement" set:

"101 Dalmatians" set:

We also got to see part of an episode of the syndicated fantasy series "Sheena" being filmed (though we didn't actually see much), that was pretty cool.

Has anybody else seen this? - "Major Changes Coming to Studio Tram Tour at Disney Hollywood Studios in 2013"
I wonder what they might have in store! DHS has been in need of some love for awhile now.

Not to hijack... But after hearing the podcast rumors today... are we sure these plans are for the backlot? Or something new in that part of the park (please say Cars Land...)

I remember going on this tour only because of the part where you are in the Catastrophe Canyon and the tram starts to shake. I remember because of the water flowing over and around the tram cause my grandmother started to yell because her hair was getting wet. Loved seeing the Golden Girls, Empty Nest and the Adventures in Wonderland houses. Its that the houses are no longer there anymore. It was fun going on the tour and seeing all of that stuff.

My favorite old memory from the tour was in the old props area. They used to have Tic Toc from Return to Oz tucked away on one of the higher levels. I sure miss seeing him.

What I would give to see Tic Toc!

I have some of the old backlot pics around too. I will have to try to dig them out. Wasn't George of the Jungle's treehouse there too at some point. I loved the christmas lights back then. It just isn't the same anymore. So many great memories! I was so sad when they tore it all out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter