Review of Artist's Palette

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
I was curious to try the counter service restaurant at the new Saratoga Springs resort, the Artist’s Palette, because I hadn’t heard much about it. Because I heard that the vouchers could be used there, we decided to go for lunch one day before heading over to Epcot. Knowing that the resort was near Downtown Disney, we came in that entrance, and followed the signs. There is still quite a bit of construction going on around the resort, and it somewhat takes away from the atmosphere on the outside.

When we came up to the gate, we told the guard where we were going, and he said to follow the road and turn right just past the movie theater. We weren’t quite sure what he meant by that, so we spent some time trying to figure out where to go, until we saw a large building that said “cinema” on it. We thought, what the heck, and turned right after it. There were signs for the Disney Vacation Club preview center, but nothing pointing towards the restaurant. We got out of the car and went up to the map, and eventually found our way to the restaurant. We were about to just skip it, if I wasn’t so determined to go.

Once inside, it’s cool and refreshing, with beautiful light fixtures hanging from the ceiling and on the walls. I couldn’t get enough of the ones that looked like Christmas lights – I’d love to have one as a chandelier! The restaurant itself is set up as a large market area, and we walked up to the counter to ask about the vouchers. The woman at the counter suggested quite a few things for us to try, and we finally decided on: the house salad ($7.50) with a fruit cup ($2.29), the turkey and brie sandwich ($7.50), which came with kettle chips on the side. For dessert we had key lime pie ($3.29), Snickers cheesecake ($3.29) at the recommendation of the woman at the dessert counter, and a bottle of water ($2.50) and a fountain drink ($1.99).

We collected our drinks, side dish, and desserts, and were given a tray with a buzzer on it. We walked around, looking at what they had for sale, which included wines sold by the bottle at restaurant prices, oh my!, plenty of souveniers, Peppermint Pigs (which I had to buy, after seeing them so many times on Food TV), Saratoga Springs water, and more. There were cold cases with plenty of different types of beverages, and a small cold case with side dishes and grab and go items. The salads they had looked delicious, and if we were staying there, I’d love to run in and buy some of the grab and go things they had.

Our entrees were ready soon after ordering them, and we took them over to the cash register. The man at the register was new to Disney, so the manager had to show him how to use a voucher, and we all talked about dining around Disney. All of the Cast Members here were very pleasant and helpful. The total ended up being just over $28, so we saved about $5 here. We would have saved a bit more if we had two salads and two sides, but it’s a decent deal anyway. There were very few people at the resort itself, and the seating area was nearly deserted. I noticed a nice touch, a table that could hold 12 people, for large groups – I rarely see that at counter service restaurants. We chose a seat by the window, and Mike ran off to get napkins and plasticware.

The house salad was made of mixed baby greens, with walnuts, dried cranberries, cherries, and blueberries on top, and a lemon poppy seed dressing. There was just a bit too much dressing, but the salad was delicious. It was definitely sweet, but was light and refreshing at the same time. It came with two large crispy croutons, which were garlic flavored, and they really didn’t go well with the salad. If they had been made of cinnamon raisin bread instead, I think it might have tasted better. The turkey and brie sandwich had sliced turkey bread, brie spread on top, lettuce, and chopped red pepper. It came on whole wheat bread with seeds, and was slightly crispy on the outside, as if it had been toasted. The sandwich was lukewarm, though, so I wondered if they had toasted it immediately and left it to wait for the salad. It was still very good, though Mike didn’t like the texture of the bread. He loved the kettle chips, however, which were thick and crunchy. The fruit salad was the standard fruit salad served around Disney, cantaloupe, honeydew, and grapes. The honeydew was surprisingly ripe and sweet, which was really pleasing.

As for the desserts, Mike fell in love with the key lime pie. It’s his favorite type of dessert, and we’re always on the lookout for a great one. It was a little too sweet and not tart enough for me, though I agreed that it was excellent. I guess I like my key lime pies like my margaritas – not too sweet and nicely tart. I really enjoyed the cheesecake, however. It had a chocolatey crust, a rich chocolate ganache on top, and I believe some nuts down the center near the back crust.

We may come back again some day, because we really enjoyed this counter service restaurant. Everything is very fresh, and it’s great not seeing burgers and fries for once! They do have children’s selections, however, including ravioli and macaroni and cheese. The variety is great, and there are daily specials at lunch and dinner. We’re not sure if it’s worth a trip if you’re not down at Disney very often, but if you are a frequent visitor and you’re curious, give it a try – especially if you’re staying at Saratoga Springs!

Photo gallery (mods, please let me know if this link is ok)

Very nice detailed report. I really enjoyed the photo's even though the picture of the cheesecake isn't helping my diet any(LOL). I may have to try some just to verify it's a good as you say.
Susan

Thanks for the wonderful reviews. The concenus seems to be this is a little too pricey for counter service and you seem to have had a similar experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter