• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Pepper Market

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
Mike and I were in possession of shiny new Quick and Casual vouchers and we were in search of places to eat at to get the best deals. We had previously tried Beaches and Cream, and heard that the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs was also a good deal. We decided to try dinner there one weeknight. We drove around trying to figure out where the hotel was, and finally found it towards Animal Kingdom. We parked with no problem, entered the hotel, and followed the signs towards the restaurant.

When you first come upon the Pepper Market, there is a podium to wait at, much like a full service restaurant. One of the managers was there and sat us at a table with menus and tickets. He explained to us that a server would be around to get our drink order, and we take care of the rest ourselves. We could walk around and look at menus and overhead boards to decide what we wanted, and then receive a stamp on the ticket stating which items we had received. We would bring this ticket up to the cashier at the end and pay the cashier the total. Before he left, I asked about the vouchers. He was extremely friendly and was happy to explain exactly what we could get, and gave some examples of with which entrees you could get additional sides, and with which you could not.

Satisfied with the explanation, we waited for our server, and ordered pina colada smoothies ($3.95). Strawberry flavor was also available, but we’re big pina colada fans. Yes, Mike likes girly drinks. They tasted more like sweet slushy drinks than actual fruit smoothies, but were good anyway. At that, we got up and started to walk around the food area. There were stations set up by the different types of foods: Mexican, Asian, Pasta/Pizza, Salad, Dessert/Bakery, and so on. We discussed our options of getting the most for our vouchers, and decided to use one voucher for each of us as it was our first time. Some of the prices are outrageous for counter service! There was a ribeye steak platter that came with roasted vegetables that looked excellent and also a side of potatoes, which all together cost $17.95. Mike was considering that dish, but wasn’t in a steak mood that night.

My eyes made a beeline for the “wok sampler,” which included your choice of two entrees out of: bourbon chicken, roast pork with peanut sauce, stir fried beef, or kung pao (though they spell it “bao”) chicken, and a side of rice or noodles, and an eggroll. The price for this dish was $15.95 and I definitely would not order it without the voucher. This did not come with an additional side. There actually weren’t too many things that could be the additional side dish, but they included an egg roll ($2.50) or fruit cup ($2.00). Mike ended up choosing a chicken calzone ($8.95), which did come with an additional side. He chose the eggroll as well. Both of our meals would take about 10 minutes to prepare, so we both went back to the table. Unfortunately, we found a server clearing our table, but he profusely apologized, and brought Mike a new smoothie as the server had taken his other one.

We waited around, and went back to check on our meals a little later. We picked up our meals, condiments, and utensils – there are lots of utensils and condiments all over. There were even bowls of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and red pepper flakes near the Asian station. The other stations had condiments that fit their foods, respectively. Mike told me that the person working the Pasta/Pizza station had misheard him and made a cheese calzone instead, but that it was fine with him. It also came with a side of chunky pasta sauce for dipping.

For my wok sampler, I had chosen the kung pao chicken and the roast pork because it came with peanut sauce. The kung pao chicken was very good, even very spicy, which is a surprise, because not many things labeled spicy actually ARE spicy to me. The roast pork was disappointing because the pork was tough and the peanut sauce wasn’t very flavorful. The eggroll was good for counter service, though it wasn’t very crispy and was obvious it had been frozen. The noodles I had chosen were cooked right, but didn’t have any sauce, so I poured the leftover kung pao and peanut sauces over them with some soy sauce, and they were pretty good.

Mike’s calzone was excellent, on the other hand. The dough was cooked perfectly, with some really dark brown crispy areas as if it had been cooked on a pizza stone. There was quite a bit mozzarella inside in addition to the ricotta, and Mike enjoyed the ratio of the two cheese inside. The sauce was a nice addition, even if it was slightly bland. For me, tomato sauce with a calzone is a must! Mike’s eggroll that he had chosen as a side was identical to mine.

We were waiting to get dessert until after we finished, and the manager came by to ask us how everything was, and even remarked that he didn’t see dessert on our table. He was always very pleasant and friendly. We went to peruse the dessert cases after that. There was a cold case of cakes and pies, many breakfast type pastries including danishes and turnovers, bagels, breads, and even apple pie a la mode. I finally chose a fruit tart ($3.95) because the fruit looked so colorful, and Mike chose the German chocolate cake ($3.95). My fruit tart was actually a croissant hollowed out with a custard-y pudding inside, toasted coconut, fresh fruit (including berries, kiwi, and pineapple), and a clear glaze on top. It was good and tasted fresh, until I bit into a piece of pineapple. The pineapple ended up being bad! I offered a piece to Mike without telling him why, devious as I am, and he thought the same thing. I found another manager, as the first was busy, and let him know, and he just said “ok” and went to throw out the other one that was in the case. I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t taken off our bill, and I’m sure if I had asked the friendly manager he would have done so. It wasn’t a big deal, though, as the rest of the tart was good. Mike’s case was more German chocolate than actual cake, had a chocolate decoration, and chocolate syrup all over. It was very good and very very rich. He enjoyed it but almost wished he had something different because of how rich it was.

We were finally ready to leave at this point, and left our plates and cups as there were no trash cans around. We (hopefully correctly) assumed that the servers would clear the table. This setup was very odd, and we somewhat wished that it was either all full service or all counter service. Understandably, though, there is a 10% tip included in your meal. We went up to the register, and the same friendly manager was there. He took our vouchers and receipt while he was ringing up someone else, and told us we were fine and to have a nice evening. Wow! We wondered if we had ordered additional items if he would have done the same thing.

We enjoyed our dinner here, and definitely would return with our vouchers even though it’s a little more out of the way than the in-park counter service. Some of the meals may be worth it without the vouchers, but we wouldn’t go without them. The food is fresh as it is usually made to order, and we even noticed that there were fountain drink stands, so it seems that there are free refills on fountain drinks. There’s an alcoholic beverage stand selling beer, wine, and Fiesta margaritas – we wondered if they were the same ones they sell at Epcot. Seating was ample even for the time of day, which was early dinner time (around 5pm). A must do with the Q&C vouchers!

Yahoo photo gallery

Nice review. We plan to go to Pepper Market one evening and use our Q & C vouchers.

Thanks for the report.

zippehsmom:D

Great review, as always! :D

We did not eat at Pepper Market when we stayed at CSR last year, but I think we may give it a try when we stay there in June.

Great report!! We love the Pepper Market. Give the Wet Burrito a try sometime if you like Mexican food. You get a huge portion. I just picked up some Q&C vouchers to try on this trip. We usually get 2 meals in at the PM during out stay.

Originally posted by madler4
How do you get Q&C vouchers and how do they worK?

Yes, do tell! I'm bringing my mother and the kids to CSR in June and had planned to eat a lot of meals at the Pepper Market. If the vouchers reduce the cost, I'd love to know more about them!

Here is a link to a greatly informative thread about the vouchers. It's what convinced me to do it! I joined the Hotwire Savings Club for mine, and they came very quickly, in less than a week, I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter