"Rider Swap" Question...

Davey-D-99

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this has been asked before here but I can't find anything in the search...
Having never been to WDW before (going in April for our 1st Family WDW trip) can someone explain exactly the "Child Swap" or "Rider Swap"?

I'm asking because my DD (6) is tall for her age but is afraid of many big rides...
"I don't like tummy tickles" is her big fear. However my DS (9) will want to ride everything he can. Neither my wife or I will want to miss a big attraction, (like EE, ToT or Space Mountain) with our DS after we have waited in line...Can we do a "rider swap" with our DD who meets the minimum height requirement but is simply afraid? :confused3

I'm sure this has been asked before here but I can't find anything in the search...
Having never been to WDW before (going in April for our 1st Family WDW trip) can someone explain exactly the "Child Swap" or "Rider Swap"?

I'm asking because my DD (6) is tall for her age but is afraid of many big rides...
"I don't like tummy tickles" is her big fear. However my DS (9) will want to ride everything he can. Neither my wife or I will want to miss a big attraction, (like EE, ToT or Space Mountain) with our DS after we have waited in line...Can we do a "rider swap" with our DD who meets the minimum height requirement but is simply afraid? :confused3

Controversy if a child who is tall enough to actually ride, can still qualify for the rider-swap.
Some say, "yes."
Some say "no."
I think it will depend on the particular CM(s) at the ride entrance/loading.

Here's more specific info on how it works-

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babyswap.asp

We did rider swaps with our DD who was tall enough but scared to go. Took the younger one on the rides though.

One parent goes with the child on the ride while the other waits at the Fast Pass entrance with the child not going. The waiting parent gets a Swap Fast Pass ticket. When that parent and child get off the ride you go to into the Fast Pass lane with your ticket and ride (again with the riding child, so they can go on twice). The wait is usually minimal.

We also used the Swap on rides that both kids would not go on. Rock n Roller Coaster. They let my DH go first in the regular line (while I waited with the kids) and then gave me a Fast Pass to go on after him (while he waited with the kids). It was great and the kids didn't have to wait all day for a ride we didn't want to miss.

That's wonderful to hear. My son is 7 and tall enough for most everything (except R&R Roller Coaster), but I'm afraid he might not want to go on some of the "big" rides. Hubby and I are huge thrill freaks and will ride ANYTHING, so this will come in handy!!! (The son may surprise me...he rode everything that he could when we went to Six Flags over Georgia last year, with no problems!)

I am in the No camp, sorry,

In my experience the CM will not issue a Rider swap pass if the child is tall enough but chooses not to ride. We visit a few times a year with a combination of kids at all ages and heights. Every single time the CM has asked us to see the child would could not ride. Most recently on TOT when my 5yo nephew was just a hair over 40" but petrified we could not get the swap pass.

So I would make my plans based on not using child swap unless you have a rider who dosen't meet the height. Then if you get a few CM's who allow it you can be pleasantly surprised instead of dissapointed.

I will say that by using the FP and getting a FP for the non riding child you can accomplish the same exact thing. Dad and willing child rider ride while Mom and unwilling child rider does something else. Then Mom rides using her FP and willing rider uses unwilling riders FP to ride again. Leaving Dad to accompany the other child for a ride, ice cream playground time etc.

TJ

Controversy if a child who is tall enough to actually ride, can still qualify for the rider-swap.
Some say, "yes."
Some say "no."

We did rider swaps with our DD who was tall enough but scared to go...They let my DH go first in the regular line (while I waited with the kids) and then gave me a Fast Pass to go on after him...

I am in the No camp, sorry,

In my experience the CM will not issue a Rider swap pass if the child is tall enough but chooses not to ride.

See what I mean?

;)

:thanks:
I guess to be on the safe side I will make sure to get 4 FP for the big attractions my daughter is too afraid to ride...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter