Rising Resale Prices

Bucknut2710

Mouseketeer
So I paid $108 per point for a 75 point contract at SSR in April of 2020. Just out of curiosity, I have been tracking resale prices and they seem to just continue to climb (making me happy I finally pulled the trigger!).

Any thoughts on why prices are climbing pretty rapidly? Is it just because everything is opening back up again? Most resale prices for that amount of points are now around $130 if you are lucky.

People with extra cash, things opening up, 50th anniversary, people want to travel, and inflation.

All sorts of things point to why prices might be increasing. Completely different from what I thought would happen though.

Me as well, I thought I pulled the trigger too early but am happy to see that I may have got in right on time.

You can actually see how the prices have increased over the last months via the link below - some have gone up quite a bit and I'm sure by the time we publish the next report most will be even higher (and I've tried multiple times to load a link to the report but it's not working ;) - but you can check it out at DVC Resale Market (www.dvcresalemarket.com) and in the search bar type in "Average" and it will bring up the latest report showing April 2020 through April 2021!

Last edited:

IMO, no new construction is having an impact. RIV has been for sale for a long time now, and the restrictions and general price/chart are a turn off to many buyers.

It is going to be O14 + RIV or O14ish (VGF2) for a long time.

You know, like when the car factories shut down in 2008-2009 and the used car prices went up. Same thing.

Disney has been exercising ROFR quite a bit lately at resorts it had previously ignored, and at a higher price point, which drives up the prices. And because there's been a flurry of buying, there's scarcity of resale contracts available, which ALSO drives up the prices.

It makes me very glad I jumped on some contracts in 2020, though it makes me wish I had bought a few more. :)

Disney keeps raising direct prices and the direct purchase minimum. Suddenly even SSR at $125/pt is a good resale deal.

It makes me very glad I jumped on some contracts in 2020, though it makes me wish I had bought a few more. :)
Same here. I'm glad we added on when we did. Now I wish I had enough cash on hand last year to buy more then while prices were low and ROFR was virtually non-existent.

When we bought our 150 points resale at SSR for $95 in March of 2020, the boards were full of folks talking about waiting for months because the prices would surely go lower... then we bought 150 points direct in February at $157 ($165 - $8 incentive) ... and folks analyzing away the value (good or bad) at SSR ... glad we stayed just ahead of the curve and bought when we did...

So we bought SSR as our first DVC resale right after the crash when prices were low sixties. I always joked that I'd sell when they've doubled (never ever thinking that would be a thing), and here we are. So, do I sell and wait for next crash to buy back...or hold and enjoy the non-restricted options that this resale has?

So we bought SSR as our first DVC resale right after the crash when prices were low sixties. I always joked that I'd sell when they've doubled (never ever thinking that would be a thing), and here we are. So, do I sell and wait for next crash to buy back...or hold and enjoy the non-restricted options that this resale has?

If you are still enjoying your points and find there is value over paying cash rates then I would hold your points as who knows if/when a crash will happen.

And remember: The price you paid has absolutely no bearing on what the price will do in the future. Something doesn’t need to go down just because it’s gone up, or up because it’s gone down.

You are assuming there will be another crash in resale prices. While that could happen, it is for sure not a certainty. Also losing the non-restricted resale points I think hurts.

Unless you don't plan on using the contract anymore, I say hold onto it. Unrestricted options are worth a lot more IMHO, or at least they would be to me, as there will be more resorts in the future, and 2054 is likely still in the lifespan of the redo of BWV and BCV.

It's crazy to see how quickly things changed this year. I started negotiations with a broker and a seller on Jan 31.
The seller wanted it to move and was wanting to sell below market at 100 pts (SSR 150 pts). Note this was a stripped contract with no points till 22.

I'm not sure if I just have a unicorn but I feel really good purchasing my first DVC at 105 a point.

We just closed in
It's crazy to see how quickly things changed this year. I started negotiations with a broker and a seller on Jan 31.
The seller wanted it to move and was wanting to sell below market at 100 pts (SSR 150 pts). Note this was a stripped contract with no points till 22.

I'm not sure if I just have a unicorn but I feel really good purchasing my first DVC at 105 a point.

We just closed on AKV in November, 240 points at $98/pt. I am so thankful we did it when we did!

I thought about buying last year but with all the economy noise on the news figured "they'll probably be a crash at some point and prices will hit rock bottom". Obviously waiting it out now, but heck it could go up even more from this point.

I thought about buying last year but with all the economy noise on the news figured "they'll probably be a crash at some point and prices will hit rock bottom". Obviously waiting it out now, but heck it could go up even more from this point.
Deals will pop up from time to time, but my guess is prices won’t really drop much in the short term future (1-3years). I think prices will stop increasing (I think we are seeing it now), but dropping from here I don’t see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter