ROFR Thread April to June 2024 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

With all of the excitement surrounding the Poly tower and the addition of 1BR and 2BR units, I decided to add on to my existing Poly December contracts when I saw this deal available for $143/point ... wish me luck with ROFR.

BeachGuy---$143-$44985-300-PVB-Dec-0/22, 0/23, 300/24, 300/25- sent 4/22

Still waiting to hear from ROFR and I can't help but think the delay is not a good sign since other contracts put in after mine have already cleared ...

Larger contracts tend to be cheaper per point AND Disney can split them up into smaller point amounts to sell direct. They can't mix and match like that with smaller contracts unless they happen to be from the same unit I believe. So it's a win win for them

Actually, when points are taken back by Disney, they simply go into the pool of points for that specific unit. The contracts, large or small, are dissolved.

From what we understand, DVD has always kept points in every unit so its possible that they can take smaller contracts back to put back into the pool and still be able to sell because they already have what is needed in that unit.

However, the larger the contract, the more points that go back into that specific unit so the easier it is to fulfill larger point offerings for anyone who wants to buy direct.

Actually, when points are taken back by Disney, they simply go into the pool of points for that specific unit. The contracts, large or small, are dissolved.

From what we understand, DVD has always kept points in every unit so its possible that they can take smaller contracts back to put back into the pool and still be able to sell because they already have what is needed in that unit.

However, the larger the contract, the more points that go back into that specific unit so the easier it is to fulfill larger point offerings for anyone who wants to buy direct.
can you educate me? when you say the points go back into the pool for that "unit," what does that mean?

Right. Yeah, it makes sense to have a few points from each unit in their bank of 2% so they can combine with any ROFR buybacks as they come in

can you educate me? when you say the points go back into the pool for that "unit," what does that mean?
Whenever they declare points to sell, the points and rooms are split up into units. Technically you are buying a very small percentage of a single "unit" when you buy a contract. It probably has something to do with timeshare law since you are buying real estate.

So when they sell a contract, all points come from a single unit. If they have points on hand from a unit, they can add any points they ROFR from that same unit into a pool for that unit and resell contracts out of it. But they can't take points from 2 separate units and sell in a single contract I believe

Other than CFW, which is being sold differently, owners have deeded interest in a specific unit. The contract lists what unit and what % of that unit is owned. Points are used as a way to represent that ownership, but it can be different depending on how many points were assigned to a unit.

A unit can be made up of one room, but usually is a cluster of rooms. For example, for the new resort studios last year at VGF, they declared 101 rooms into one unit...Unit 11...

If someone sells a contract that is deeded to Unit 11, those points simply go back into the pool of points attached to Unit 11, and DVD can now sell points again for any and all points they have that are also deeded to Unit 11. If they own other points for VGF, say deeded to Unit 2, and there are not enough points in Unit 2 or Unit 11 to make up a contract that someone wants to buy, then they can't sell that contract.

Other than CFW, which is being sold differently, owners have deeded interest in a specific unit. The contract lists what unit and what % of that unit is owned. Points are used as a way to represent that ownership, but it can be different depending on how many points were assigned to a unit.

A unit can be made up of one room, but usually is a cluster of rooms. For example, for the new resort studios last year at VGF, they declared 101 rooms into one unit...Unit 11...

If someone sells a contract that is deeded to Unit 11, those points simply go back into the pool of points attached to Unit 11, and DVD can now sell points again for any and all points they have that are also deeded to Unit 11. If they own other points for VGF, say deeded to Unit 2, and there are not enough points in Unit 2 or Unit 11 to make up a contract that someone wants to buy, then they can't sell that contract.
amazing explanation - thanks!

meggmurray---$105-$5048-40-AKV-Mar-0/23, 40/24, 40/25- sent 5/6

meggmurray---$96-$10164-100-AKV-Mar-0/23, 0/24, 92/25- sent 5/6

First time buyer with 2 active contracts! Both in ROFR at the exact same time. Two different listing agencies, same title company. Very excited!
Congrats - at decent prices. I would personally think hard about buying two at the same resort. Seems a lot of closing costs for essentially a 140 point contract? I get you can sell one off, but if that's already a theory, you lose a lot of $ in closing costs, and then commissions to make a change later?

Congrats - at decent prices. I would personally think hard about buying two at the same resort. Seems a lot of closing costs for essentially a 140 point contract? I get you can sell one off, but if that's already a theory, you lose a lot of $ in closing costs, and then commissions to make a change later?
No different than buying direct and splitting it up though right?

I want smaller contracts I can offload if necessary. We started with the 40 point small contract to see how it went - but 40 points was only going to get us 2 nights at AKL for our family size. So I was open to a larger contract and one just came along sooner than I expected. The timing wasn’t an intentional strategy although I don’t mind. These smaller contracts are more palatable (at least for me) than purchasing $30k worth of points in one go. Also much easier to resell should our financial situation change. Having 140 points at the same resort doesn’t seem unreasonable although I understand your point - had I purchased the 100 point contract first I may have opened for SSR or something else. But honestly we love AKL so I’d rather be able to book my entire trip at one time at 11 months.

Also, my all-in cost per point is $108 (stripped 100 point contract so no dues until 2025) and is still less than what many contracts are selling for. So the additional closing costs didn’t hurt much. 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter