Romantic Getaway at WL - Any Ideas?

aring75

DIS Veteran
DH and I are planning an early September trip to WL. No kids - just us. I am looking for some "magical" things to do. I want this trip to be special (it will be DH's birthday).

Does anyone have any ideas for romantic or special things we can do? We've been to WDW many times so I'm looking for something a little different or unusual.

We've always wanted to stay at WL so I booked 6 nights. We usually stay at Moderates, but, last year, decided to stay at the Poly. Will we be disappointed with the difference between Poly and WL? I'm really impressed with the WL atmosphere (so cozy!)

Any ideas would be welcome and greatly appreciated!:D

Thanks!!

DH and I really love WL ...

We love to hit the hot tubs early in the morning when no one is around and then again later after the parks - so bring 2 suits each, at least.

Artist Point is a fabulous romantic restaurant. We ate my 5-0 dinner there and had a fabulous meal. The waiter was outstanding.

We have also gone to the bar and ordered dessert a couple of times.

We love the boats the most and take every opportunity to ride them to MK or the Cont. then catch a bus or the monorail to another destination. Also, be sure to ride the boat at night back to the Lodge so you can see it all lit up.

Be sure to watch the electrical water parade - it is so wonderful.

Be sure to get a birthday button at MK city hall.

I wish we were going back this Fall but our daugther is getting married and we plan to remodel the kitchen (I thought about escaping the remodel at WDW!) Have a great time.....

...sounds like you have a ton of great ideas!

Sorry you won't be visiting this year! :(
But I really like some of your ideas. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Is the hottub secluded at all or is it part of the main pool?

What is a birthday button? :confused: Never seen one!!

Again, thanks for your help!!

Have you considered an Illuminations Cruise? There are about four pontoon boats and one vintage lake boat ("Breathless") that can be reserved from the Bc and YC for a cruise that ends up uner International Gateway bridge to watch the Illuminations show.

These are highly prized reservations that go out very quickly at 7:00 a.m. EST but worth the loss of sleep. We did this on a pontoon boat with three families and it is a great little cruise. The Breathless looks more romantic!

There is a regular thread here on The DIS modrated by nativetxn that discusses this.

I am informed that there are similar cruises on the lagoon and I did see pontoon boats at the WL marina. SO if you may be able to get one closer to "home" at the WL.

Hi,

I haven't stayed at WL yet. We've been a few times to walk around or to have dinner. It will be beautiful for a nice getaway.

One piece of advice: be sure to mention, casually, at the front desk, that it is DH's birthday that you're celebrating. Disney has a habit of throwing in a little something special like a fruit basket a free ticket to a movie or even a room upgrade (a deluxe at WL is like a one bedroom, that would be nice).

The upgrades/freebies have happened to my brother and wife, as well as my DH and me on a couple of our trips. I wouldn't plan on it, but it's worth mentioning. You might even fax a room request ahead of time and slip in a mention of the occasion. Disney is a magical place, but sometimes magic needs a little help.

In any case, have a great time and wear the birthday button. Oh yeah, you asked about them. Someone with more experience probably knows better than me, but I think you can get them in the parks at guest relations.

Have a great time.

We stayed at WL for our honeymoon in one of the Honeymoon Suites. At regular pricing, they were not much more than a standard room. They are on the top floor, secluded, and have a huge jacuzzi bath tub. There are only four of them, so they may not get much discounting.

I have heard that now they are concierge rooms but then the concierage status was removed with all of the discounts, etc. If it is concierge, then it is probably a lot more than a standard room and may not be worth it.

Another thing is the "Romantic Dinner" that the WL offers. We didn't order this because I read about it after the fact, but it is an in-room dinner. Ask room service.

And if you like to sip wine in your room, bring your own because, although you can find Disney stores that sell wine, it isn't cheap!

Check out this book by Rick Perlmutter called WDW for Couples. I found a lot of detail in here.

I think that you will be very happy with the romantic atmosphere of the WL.

I hope that helps!

It's obvious to me that there are a lot of things to do at WDW that I didn't know about. And I've visited three or four times a year every year since childhood!!

Elmo888 - That romantic dinner sounds nice. I'm going to call WL to find out some info if I can.

Skiptomypooh - (great name) I think I will mention DH's Bday on the fax request I send in before we go. You never know what might happen with a little magic and pixie dust!!!

CityKid - The Illuminations Cruise sounds great! Do you make the reservations the same day or a long time in advance? I guess I should try to find the thread you mentioned. (LOL)

Thanks everyone for your help!! I know this trip is going to be very special no matter what we do. How can it not be at such a wonderful place!?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter