Ropin' Some Magic In the Western Caribbean

Thanks for all the updates and reviews/blogs so far. pixiedust: We leave this coming Saturday so I'm reading!! :goodvibes Lots of good information from everyone. :thanks:

Our dining rotation was LAPLAPL, and we had the late seating.
Can you tell me which day your character breakfast was? And do you remember what time it started?

We did the chocolate factory tour in Cozumel. Joshua (the tour guide) was so entertaining! And all of the varieties of chocolate were delicious. We paid $6 for the larger chocolate bars and $3 for the smaller ones. We found out that our friends who bought them at a store near the port paid $9 and $5. We brought some back for our wait staff, and they were so happy.
Did you take the kids to this? If so, did they like it? And if not, would it be appropriate to take kids to (we have two girls, 10 and 7). Did you reserve it ahead of time and take a taxi to get there?

TIA for the info! I'm an obsessive planner -- 33 days til our cruise!

Can you tell me which day your character breakfast was? And do you remember what time it started?

Our character breakfast was on Monday, and I believe it was at 9:30. We are not early morning people, so it was nice not having to have the whole family ready for an early breakfast. I had read that the character breakfast was the first at sea day after you eat at Animator's Palette, and that is how it worked for us.

Did you take the kids to this? If so, did they like it? And if not, would it be appropriate to take kids to (we have two girls, 10 and 7). Did you reserve it ahead of time and take a taxi to get there?

Yes, we took all 4 kids, and they all liked it. Well, I'm not sure if the 2yo loved it, but he seemed pretty happy until he fell asleep in the middle of the tour. The kids got to grind some of the caocao beans, and they loved tasting all the varieties of chocolate. It is a small "mom and pop" business, so you do need to reserve it ahead of time (but you don't have to pay until the end of the tour). I would have liked an earlier time, but by the time I made my reservations, the only time available was 1:00. They sent me back a detailed map and written directions. I'm glad we brought these with us because it is located in a residential area and the taxi driver had to drive around the block a couple of times before he found it. It only took about 10 minutes to get there. We arrived about 30 minutes early and had to ring the door bell for them to let us in. Joshua, the tour guide, was awesome. He gave us lots of the history of the Mayans and chocolate and the science behind making it. He also explained the difference behind his chocolate and Hershey's.

Thanks for all the detailed info, soccermom! Do you remember about how much the taxi to the factory was? We are trying to make Cozumel our inexpensive, no-excursion day, but this looks very interesting!

Did you do any shopping in the port? Did you eat anywhere in Cozumel?

Thanks for all the detailed info, soccermom! Do you remember about how much the taxi to the factory was? We are trying to make Cozumel our inexpensive, no-excursion day, but this looks very interesting!

I think the taxi was around $15 each way. We didn't shop in Cozumel other than the chocolate we bought. We didn't eat there either. I hated to spend extra money on food when we could eat on the ship.

We didn't eat there either. I hated to spend extra money on food when we could eat on the ship.

We're the same way! On the Alaska cruise, we only ate once off the ship, and that was out of utter necessity. Except...you live in TX, so you have a lot of access to good Mexican food, which we don't here in VA. My husband grew up right near you in Duncanville -- every time we go to visit his family, all we do is EAT :):):)

I emailed my husband the link to the chocolate place, and he said he's willing to go wherever I want to go, so I think I'm going to book it. My mom will like it, and the kids and my husband will like to sample it, if nothing else! ;)

Also... did you have a problem finding a taxi that would fit your family? There would be five of us.

We did some shopping in Cozumel. We went to Los Cinco Soles. The big store on 8th st, not the little one in the plaza. We bought Mexican vanilla and tequila there. I had read that their vanilla was safe and good. They are a ways down from the ship on the same road as all of the other shops and restaurants. We walked and I think it was about 10-12 blocks.

Here is their website: http://www.loscincosoles.com

That's really all the shopping we did there so that's all I can comment on.

Also... did you have a problem finding a taxi that would fit your family? There would be five of us.

No problem at all. In fact there were 8 of us (including my in-laws), and we all fit in a taxi van. I was assuming we would have to split up and take 2 taxis, so it was a pleasant surprise. This was also the case in Costa Maya. There seemed to be plenty of taxi vans to fit larger parties.

Costa Maya was one of our favorite stops! My advice is to walk right on through the new plaza area and take a taxi to the Tropicante! It's a little restaurant on the beach. If you email Steve ahead of time he'll have loungers reserved for you. :beach:

You can get a massage on the beach for $15 (1/2 hr.) or $25 (hour). I had the half hour and it was fantastic! There are waiters that will bring you drinks or food. We had eaten on the ship so we didn't get any food, but other people we were with got some and said it was really good. Their strawberry margarita was good. My husband got some beers. It was all really relaxing. The kids had a great time swimming and playing in the sand.

There are shops along the street too. If you want to buy anything they haggle more at the end of the day when the cruise ship passengers are going home. :)

To get to the Tropicante we walked through the plaza area to the Hard Rock Cafe. There is a taxi stand there that will take you straight to the Tropicante for $2 per person. The ones in the plaza charge you $3. Anyway, if you are interested in going to the Tropicante check out the link below and email Steve ahead of time. He will send you directions on what to do and how to get there.

I'd like to add that I felt totally safe here. The "safe" plaza area is really nice, but it is full of pricy shops. Seriously, the postcards were $2 each!! They do have a really nice big pool though which would probably be the only thing I'd do there.

I have some pics on my blog: http://aimeesland.blogspot.com/2012/10/costa-maya.html

Here's the link for the Tropicante: http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Hello. we are leaving for this cruise on saturday. My sons (3 year old twins) want to go see "sea turtles with baby eggs" would you recommend this for them? also, where did you book online? there is one for "hell and sea turtles" that's on my travel agent site but it's only for 2 hours and the sea turtle place is only for like 30 minutes. thanks for your help.

Can you give me examples of what people(men,women,teens, and kids) were wearing on the formal and semi-formal nights?

Thank you for the info that has been posted on this board. It's great to see what has been going on, on the ships and things you have done onshore.

Did anyone use internet while on board? If so, how did it work?

I saw that someone went to Tropicante. I saw on their website that they have free wifi. Did your phones work or able to connect to internet?

Thank you for the info.

Hello. we are leaving for this cruise on saturday. My sons (3 year old twins) want to go see "sea turtles with baby eggs" would you recommend this for them? also, where did you book online? there is one for "hell and sea turtles" that's on my travel agent site but it's only for 2 hours and the sea turtle place is only for like 30 minutes. thanks for your help.

I think 3 year olds would love it! There is a pool to swim in with a slide too. My 5 yr old neice was with us and went to swim there while we snorkled in the lagoon.

I just bought our tickets online: http://www.turtle.ky/
I took my confirmation # with me and they looked me up when we got there. It was very easy. We did have to take our own transportation there though. We used the city bus (really a van) for 2.50 per person.

Can you give me examples of what people(men,women,teens, and kids) were wearing on the formal and semi-formal nights?

Thank you for the info that has been posted on this board. It's great to see what has been going on, on the ships and things you have done onshore.

Our kids are 14 and 9. The pics below show what we wore. I saw a few tuxedos on Formal night. I also saw just regular suits and nice shirts with slacks and a tie. I think most of the boys had slacks and nice shirts.

Semi formal night...no tuxes that I saw. More of a little black dress night for women and nice slacks and shirts for men...some with ties and jackets. Lots of little girls wore their princess costumes on each of the nights.

Us on Formal night...
117_zps7dda8227.jpg

Us on Semi Formal night...
520_zpse589c9d2.jpg

We're the same way! On the Alaska cruise, we only ate once off the ship, and that was out of utter necessity. Except...you live in TX, so you have a lot of access to good Mexican food, which we don't here in VA. My husband grew up right near you in Duncanville -- every time we go to visit his family, all we do is EAT :):):)

I emailed my husband the link to the chocolate place, and he said he's willing to go wherever I want to go, so I think I'm going to book it. My mom will like it, and the kids and my husband will like to sample it, if nothing else! ;)

We ate Mexican food in both Cozumel & Costa Maya and thought it was awful. The first place we stopped at on our way home to Dallas was Pappasitos for some yummy tex -mex.

We did some shopping in Cozumel. We went to Los Cinco Soles. The big store on 8th st, not the little one in the plaza. We bought Mexican vanilla and tequila there. I had read that their vanilla was safe and good. They are a ways down from the ship on the same road as all of the other shops and restaurants. We walked and I think it was about 10-12 blocks.

Here is their website: http://www.loscincosoles.com

That's really all the shopping we did there so that's all I can comment on.

That's the store I've heard praised here and on other forums. Was it worth the walk? I looked at their website and there are no prices, but the items look interesting!

For my 4 year old, I had her wear a pretty dress, I wore a black skirt and top with pretty jewelry and my husband wore a suit and tie.

For semi formal, I wore a summery dress with a shawl, my husband wore a suit with no coat and although I had a some-what fancy dress for my dd, she ended up wearing a cute dress we bought in Cozumel.

In Grand Cayman we went to Rum Point Beach
In Costa Maya we swam with dolphins
In Cozumel we went on the submarine.

All the excursions were booked by the cruise line. Being our first cruise, we didnt want to branch off and do anything on our own. We loved all of the excursions and are glad we did all of them! The Beach was very relaxing and the water was beautiful. We were given coupons for free lunch and free tea. The alcohol was a bit expensive so we decided to not drink there.

"Swimming" with the dolphins was a neat experience but it wasn't really swimming, it was "kissing" and "dancing" for apx 45 minutes. There were 10 of us in each group and we took turns petting the dolphin, etc. My dd isnt old enough to actually swim with the dolphins (I think the age is 8) and she was a bit disappointed, but it was still fun.

The submarine went 110ft below the water. You obviously dont know what you will see, as far as marine life goes, but the scenery is beautiful and it was neat.

Overall, our first 2 days on the cruise were exhausting! We felt like we were always rushing, as to not miss the Princesses or characters. But after we got most of the autographs and pictures, we were able to relax for the rest of the cruise. The food was wonderful, the service top notch. Room service took apx 30-45 minutes and had sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, soup, cheese, cake, hamburgers, etc. All of that is free but if you want a can of coke it costs $2 (but there is 24 hour fountain drinks on floor 9 that is free).

One thing I was the most happy we had - TWO over the door shoe holders.
Oh, and air freshener!!!! lol.

One thing I wish we had - a little fan. It was a bit warmer than we like it, humid outside (so couldnt leave the door open) and no air flow.

I got very sick on the ship. I didnt want to go to the onboard doctor, but when I couldnt walk without struggling to breathe, my husband demanded I go. Cost to see the dr (during on call hours, which are 7-11am and 4-8pm apx) was $144. Cost to see the dr during off hours - $224.
With nebulizer treatment, inhaler and steroid medicine, our total bill was apx $400. BUT!
We purchased travelers insurance since it is hurricane season. We didnt know that they will reimburse us for the medical bills (with a $50 deductible). The doctor and nurses were wonderful, very caring and had everything they needed to treat the sick or injured.

I hope some of what Ive written has helped someone! Let me know if anyone has any questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter