Rule about locking luggage

vellamint

DIS Veteran
I thought I read somewhere recently that there is a new rule about locking your luggage....you arent supposed to anymore or something....with search disabled I cant seem to find it. Was I imagining this or what......I leave tomorrow...I really dont have anything anyone would want to steal and the only thing I would miss is my millenium sweatshirt.

Anybody can help me please do....to lock or not lock....locks allowable or not!?

Thanks!

TSA guidelines indicate that if you lock your luggage and they need to search it, they will break the lock. They are supposed to leave a notice if this is necessary. They recommend that you seal your luggage closed with nylon seal-lock thingies, which can be cut off.

Chances are that when you reach your airport tomorrow, there will be more detailed info... you could also try your airline's web site.

This change has prompted my family to go strictly carry-on for our next trip. I always pack more than I need anyway, so this will start a rather new discipline for me!

Good luck and have a great trip!
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I flew last week, and both on my way out and my way back I was asked if my suitcase was unlocked when I checked in. I have also read that those nylon lock things are better than regualr locks, because if your bag needs to be searched they will just cut them off and then replace them. Personally, I would just make sure that anything really valuable to me is in my carryon, and leave my luggage unlocked. Although I realize people are concerned about theft, I'd rather leave my luggage unlocked and take that chance if it means that security is better able to search luggage - clothes can be replaced, my life cannot. Besides, if someone really wants to break into a suitcase, one of those flimsy little locks isn't going to stop them.

Besides, if someone really wants to break into a suitcase, one of those flimsy little locks isn't going to stop them.
I've always locked my luggage, not out of any belief that it would prevent theft, but to prevent spillage due to the rough handling that the luggage frequently receives. Catches and zippers can come undone (or unzipped) and items can spill out, getting dirty or lost. More than once over the years I have pulled my bag off of the baggage carousel only to find one or more sections partially unzipped. While that could have been due to malicious intent, I always chalked it up to rough handling.

However, since 9/11 I have stopped locking the luggage, assuming that a search was a possibility. And yes, I am more than willing to do so in exchange for the increased security.

Where can you purchase those nylon seal lock thingies? I'm really not crazy about leaving my luggage unlocked for fear of something just popping out, but those nylon seals are better than nothing at all I guess.:teeth:

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

The nylon seal things people are talking about are Tie Wraps or Zip Ties - you can get them at most home centers (Home Depot) or hardware stores. If you can't find them, just ask!

Don't forget to put a pair of scissors in an UNWRAPPED compartment in your suitcase so you can cut them off when you get to where you're going!

You can also use o-rings or keychains to keep zippers closed. We used straps for all our luggage since the hardsided suitcases (we still have some!) can't use the o-ring or the nylon ties. We're not as worried about theft as we are about the suitcase coming open and our undies flying all over the tarmac!

When we traveled after Jan. 1, one piece was opened and searched in one airport, then 3 out of 4 pieces were opened and searched in another airport. Everything was done in our sight, but we were not allowed to lock the luggage (or even touch it) after the inspections were completed.

It's funny, but I've never locked my luggage. I always carry my valuables in my purse/carry-on baggae. But, like the rest of you...the thought of my 'unmentionables' scattered all over the run-way, always made me nervous. What we do is get a bright piece of ribbon and tie it through the holes on the zipper-pulls, where the lock would have gone. It makes it easier to see which is our luggage on the baggage thingie.

I just got back from a flight yesterday and they did ask if my luggage was locked.. I used curb-side checkin. I had used the zip ties based on what I had read here as well as other websites. Going down to Fort Lauderdale, they didn't open anything, the bags and zipties arrived as packed. Coming back yesterday they did open one of our 3 checked bags and they only opened the main section, the smaller pockets weren't touched. They replaced the zip tie that they cut off with a red one, which was smalled than they type I used and placed a pre-printed notice in the suitcase. As far as I can tell everything was put back as it was found, but wife was unpacking today and she would know better. One thing to remember, they are NOT telling you are forbidden from locking your luggage. What they are saying is if the luggage is locked, the lock can be cut off or broken in the case of hardside luggage, and they are not responsible for the damage.

We used the plastic ties on our bags when we went over New Years. When we left Minneapolis, the ties were cut open and the bags were searched in our presence. When we left Orlando, one of our bags was opened for checking. We didn't see it done. We saw the initial checking for explosives, but then they put the bags down and we thought they were done searching, so we left the area. They did NOT replace the plastic tie, although the little note that they left in the bag saying they had searched it said they would re-secure it if they had to break a lock or plastic tie. Nothing was missing, but it was all re-arranged.
We have seen some unzipped bags spilling articles all over, so we do use the locks or ties for keeping things shut rather than security.

I'd rather leave them unlocked and take my chances than go back to trying to do all carryon. What a pain when this first started and so many people still had 2 carryons. It took so long for it to be checked through at the security station. We were behind a family last time, where all the kids had a pullable carryon. It took forever to check them through.,.and then they were the first in line of B on Southwest, so of course they were picked to have a though check. We still carry our valuables..but everything else goes into the suitcase with the push up ties.

Something else I ahve started doing, partly to make it easier for security to put things back if they do search my bag, and partly to keep them from directly handing my "unmentionables" is to pack all of my unmentionables in zip lock bags before putting them in my suitcase. If they have to search, they can see what is in the ziploc without having to open it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter