Rumors & News Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to reiterate that the closing of that thread in particular, along with moving all our other threads all over the place is like dismantling our weird little family. It may seem like we were off topic, or posts were crazy, but we always managed to get back on topic, we managed to have disagreements and settle them (or just move on from them) and this was just a place that was like "home".

I just think if you weren't one of us, you won't understand any of us and why this feels so wrong. Like, I actually would have said hi to these people in public! 😂 😉😘

We're discussing reopening the thread.

The "cruise and operational updates due to covid" thread became like a little internet family for many of us. When I saw the thread was shut down without a warning, my first thought was, "I didn't even get to say goodbye!" That may sound silly, but I will forever associate the 3 trips I've taken since disney reopened, including being there the first two weeks they opened back up in july, with the active members of that board. Even though they physically didn't go on those trips with me, they emotionally did. Their thoughts, and speculation, and insights influenced the way I travelled. I guess this is just my swan song to those who were active over there and read this here. Thanks for all of the conversation, debate, inside jokes, and comrodery over the past 9 or so months!

The "cruise and operational updates due to covid" thread became like a little internet family for many of us. When I saw the thread was shut down without a warning, my first thought was, "I didn't even get to say goodbye!" That may sound silly, but I will forever associate the 3 trips I've taken since disney reopened, including being there the first two weeks they opened back up in july, with the active members of that board. Even though they physically didn't go on those trips with me, they emotionally did. Their thoughts, and speculation, and insights influenced the way I travelled. I guess this is just my swan song to those who were active over there and read this here. Thanks for all of the conversation, debate, inside jokes, and comrodery over the past 9 or so months!
The posters on that thread were overwhelmingly respectful toward one another, and contributed to interesting, relevant discourse. I guess never having been a moderator, I just don't get what takes such hard work to do it? I can respect the time it takes to read every post, but I don't recall seeing any posters there ever being inappropriate or taking the conversation in wild tangents. A lot of times, the posts that were deleted for being off topic had me scratching my head bc I could definitely find relevance to the topic. I don't see why the thread would need to be closed if adults are having a respectful discourse, as was happening. We're not toddlers. It honestly makes me not want to participate in any of this website's message boards, and certainly not recommend anyone else do so from now on. Sad.

I still think this was handled horribly and the damage is probably done but Corey, I respect the fact you were the only webmaster who came and posted. Thank you.

The anonymous account of 20 years with zero posts coming in to rip up the community was a poor move and I think it would go a long way if whoever that was came and frankly apologized.

The DIS needs to reconsider taking such a hard line on "off topic" posts. It's a bit overkill on many forums. So what if people go off on tangents? That happens naturally in "discussions." What is the harm, really? It's enjoyable to watch it all unfold. As long as people are being respectful and not arguing, let it go.

The DIS needs to reconsider taking such a hard line on "off topic" posts. It's a bit overkill on many forums. So what if people go off on tangents? That happens naturally in "discussions." What is the harm, really? It's enjoyable to watch it all unfold. As long as people are being respectful and not arguing, let it go.

Listening.

I'm curious how the D+ one isn't also news. I always found what was coming on, what's being made, what might be being made all there. Those are all pieces of Disney news.

Like most other people on this board, I rarely venture off of this sub-forum, unless its for DVC news or when my wife and I headed to DL and I spent a month over there lurking, which is what I do here. If this forum is to be just "WDW news/rumors" I think it needs to say so. Just my 2 cents.

Corey,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to and address our concerns. I have tremendous respect for you and the work you do -- I'm sure it's no easy task managing a forum this large (among your other responsibilities with The DIS). I've always appreciated your friendliness and humor, and I respect you mightily for listening to what everyone has to say. I sincerely hope you understand that the following is said with the best of intentions from a longtime DISer (though not as long as some around here).

As a Dreams client, longtime DIS Unplugged listener, Magic Candle Co. purchaser (with code DisneyInfo), and DVCRM buyer, I'm still deeply disappointed in what transpired today. In my time on here, I've never seen something like that happen. While there are certainly many sources for Disney-related info and content, what has consistently brought me to The DIS for the last ten years is the incredible community it cultivates. Whether it be through the DIS Unplugged podcast, the Dreams shows, the News & Rumors board, or any DIS-exclusive trips, the people (the "on-air" personalities, the moderators on the board, and of course, the posters) are what make this place so enjoyable and special.

I know you know how dedicated we all are to helping build the FAQs, info threads, rumor tracking threads, etc... on here. So to log on this afternoon and see all the work this community had built in this one place either closed or scattered all about was disconcerting and really disappointing. For it to be done with little to no acknowledgment by some semi-anonymous user was also upsetting. I can only speak for myself, but I personally felt that this particular community and every contribution I made to it wasn't fully considered in whatever decision-making took place about interim plans for this particular forum. I understand The DIS is a business and that can mean change and certain business needs, but as I'm sure you know, it's a business based on community and, as a member of that community, today's actions didn't make me feel particularly valued or considered.

I absolutely understand the need for a moderator, especially on topics as salient as Coronavirus. The DIS has amongst the best moderator teams out there, and it's definitely a difficult task. While the future of this particular forum may be a work in progress, I'd imagine many would've appreciated if that had been transparently communicated in advance. Given what everyone has gone through over the last eleven months, I hope you can understand why it would upset some so much, without any notice provided. It felt like some unknown individual came through with a blowtorch to all of our work as well as our friends.

I sincerely hope whoever is responsible for that apologizes and the end result is building a happier community for everyone. In the meantime again, thank you for taking the time to read this post and I wish you and your family good health during these turbulent times.

Andy

Corey,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to and address our concerns. I have tremendous respect for you and the work you do -- I'm sure it's no easy task managing a forum this large (among your other responsibilities with The DIS). I've always appreciated your friendliness and humor, and I respect you mightily for listening to what everyone has to say. I sincerely hope you understand that the following is said with the best of intentions from a longtime DISer (though not as long as some around here).

As a Dreams client, longtime DIS Unplugged listener, Magic Candle Co. purchaser (with code DisneyInfo), and DVCRM buyer, I'm still deeply disappointed in what transpired today. In my time on here, I've never seen something like that happen. While there are certainly many sources for Disney-related info and content, what has consistently brought me to The DIS for the last ten years is the incredible community it cultivates. Whether it be through the DIS Unplugged podcast, the Dreams shows, the News & Rumors board, or any DIS-exclusive trips, the people (the "on-air" personalities, the moderators on the board, and of course, the posters) are what make this place so enjoyable and special.

I know you know how dedicated we all are to helping build the FAQs, info threads, rumor tracking threads, etc... on here. So to log on this afternoon and see all the work this community had built in this one place either closed or scattered all about was disconcerting and really disappointing. For it to be done with little to no acknowledgment by some semi-anonymous user was also upsetting. I can only speak for myself, but I personally felt that this particular community and every contribution I made to it wasn't fully considered in whatever decision-making took place about interim plans for this particular forum. I understand The DIS is a business and that can mean change and certain business needs, but as I'm sure you know, it's a business based on community and, as a member of that community, today's actions didn't make me feel particularly valued or considered.

I absolutely understand the need for a moderator, especially on topics as salient as Coronavirus. The DIS has amongst the best moderator teams out there, and it's definitely a difficult task. While the future of this particular forum may be a work in progress, I'd imagine many would've appreciated if that had been transparently communicated in advance. Given what everyone has gone through over the last eleven months, I hope you can understand why it would upset some so much, without any notice provided. It felt like some unknown individual came through with a blowtorch to all of our work as well as our friends.

I sincerely hope whoever is responsible for that apologizes and the end result is building a happier community for everyone. In the meantime again, thank you for taking the time to read this post and I wish you and your family good health during these turbulent times.

Andy

Well, that's what I wanted to write.

Edited: I tried to express myself but Andy's feedback was much more eloquently written. I will just echo what he said.

I am logging off my account and need to take a break from these boards, that's how deeply disappointed I am in what happened here today. The complete torpedoing of the content by an anonymous webmaster who we can't approach deeply bothers me. How can we have a community of trust and respect when things like this happen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter