Sad, but sweet story-

mousefansmom

DIS Veteran
My grandma introduced me to Disney when I was 6 years old. My mom and dad never could have afforded to take me, but after my grandpa died, my grandma took our whole family to Disney.
Even though I'm in my 30's now, I remember that first trip vividly. I remember the Poly, I remember the Tiki room, I remember riding the monorail with my grandma, way past my bedtime! I even remember the luau! We have since been to Disney several times, and last year we became DVC members.

My grandma passed away last Saturday, and I will miss her dearly. But in the last few months, she really couldn't remember a lot. Except our trip to Disney. I visited her in the hospital and was warned that she might not know me. Not only did she know me, but she remembered details of our trip together!

To me, this is Disney Magic to the fullest extent. Thanks Grandma for the beautiful memories. . .All of them. I love you.

And thanks Disboard members for letting me share.
Mousefansmom

Thanks for sharing Mousefansmom. Brought tears to my eyes. :grouphug:
We lost my mil 9 months ago and had a similar story. She took us to WDW for the first time in '94, several years after her dh died. For many subsequent years we would take her. We all grew to be such huge Disney fans. She and I were very close. I remember when we weren't anywhere near a planned trip to the World, she and I would call eachother on the phone and go to the mall for lunch just so we could hit The Disney Store. We called it our Disney World "fix". She was a huge fan of Mickey. Towards the end of her life we brought her here in our home to live with us. She was becoming more and more disoriented but would say things like "I can't wait to go to Disney with you guys again". Broke my heart because we knew she didn't have much time left, but it also showed me how happy all of our trips together made her. I'll treasure this always.
I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandmom Mousefansmom. It's so sad when we lose those we love. Hold on to those memories and may they comfort you and your family. :angel:

To me, that's what WDW is all about. Being able to spend quality time with your family and making life long memories. That's the biggest reason for us joining the DVC family. Mousefanmom, my prayers are with you and may God be with you and your family.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It did bring tears to my eyes. Here is a hug for you :grouphug:
WDW and DVC is all about making memories with those closest to you and that makes everything all worthwhile.
I can sympathize, I get my love for WDW from my mother. She passed away a year and a half ago. We had discuused DVC on several occasions when she was somewhat healthy. She always thought of it is something other people could afford, but not us. She was too worried, rightly so, about her future. After my 1st trip since she had been gone, I became a DVC member, at 1st I felt guilty because I did it after she was gone. I couldn't have afforded it then, but I have worked hard and I can afford it now, and I use some of the $$ she left me to pay for it. I think she would have wanted it that way. I will always treasure the memories we had together and am grateful I found WDW from her. I will always love her and appreciate the fact that I could talk Disney to her, and she didn't think I was nuts, because she felt the same.
There will always be DIS members that can sympathize, come here whenever you need us! :grouphug:
Got go get a tissue now!
Bless you!

What a special story! Reading about your memories of your grandma brought tears to my eyes. I watch my little 2-year-old granddaughter, now, as she drags my stuffed Mickeys through the house and as she gazes in wonder at Cinderella over pancakes (at CRT). I hope her memories, one day, are as special as yours. {{{hugs}}} to you. How neat that, even at the end, your grandma remembered your special times together. Treasure your memories. And, thanks for the reminder of what's important. :grouphug:

How lucky you are to have had a gramma who loved you so much and wanted to be with you in a place that you both now hold so close to your hearts. I have no idea what the life here-after is like, but I'm hoping your gramma is enjoying a heavenly version of WDW. God bless.

Thanks for sharing your story with us :grouphug: I am lucky enough to have great parents that own DVC also :goodvibes My wonderful Mom and I share Disney every week by phone while we wait for our trips :love:

Thanks for sharing such a special story.

We took my Aunt to Disney for the 1st time in 2001 and she was a little hesitant thinking it was for kids and we were going for 10 days!!!! Well, she became the biggest Disney Fan and wound up going 2 more times. She had this Tinkerbell Visor that she just loved and wore it all the time!!! She was to go with us in April, but she passed away in February----she was 91!!!! The memories of her enjoying herself are priceless!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter