Safely Driving through CA to Disneyland?

There is more to California than Oakland

Seriously how many Oakland stories do we need, note to self, do not hang out in Oakland. Check
And it isn't even ALL of Oakland. There are very nice, rich neighborhoods in Oakland. I think just like every city there are good parts & bad parts. Heck even in my small town there are neighborhoods known to have more issues than others.

Personally I am of the opinion that if you are looking for trouble you are going to find it, regardless of where you are.

Biggest crime you'll encounter driving from Phoenix to Anaheim is the cost of gas as you cross over the AZ/CA border. Be sure and fill up before you get to Blythe - it will save you $1-$1.50/gallon easy.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

The most important thing is not leave anything in plain sight. Pack as much as you can in the trunk. When you stop for lunch, avoid opening the trunk to take anything out or put anything in. You don't want to draw any attention to the fact that there are valuables in there. Bring purses, backpacks, phones, etc. into the restaurant instead of leaving them inside the car. Basic smarts whether you are in the city or not.

Actually done the drive many times, about the easiest drive ever. The vegas drive is much more difficult. Just avoid mid to late sunday when the palm spring crowd goes back home

We were planning to drive to Disneyland this fall from AZ but my husband is becoming more concerned about the increase in brazen crime, even just stopping for gas or a drive thru for food on the way.

Are there any locals that care to comment? Our perspective is just from news stories. He's wanting to cancel our trip this year since we can't fly in.
We drive from AZ (Maricopa County). We usually stop at Flying Js right before the border to gas up, use the restroom and get food from Wendy's. We then drive all the way to Disneyland. We usually stay at the Grand.

We have stopped in Cabazon to check out the dinosaurs that were used in the PeeWee Herman movie when we want to stretch our legs.

We drive from AZ (Maricopa County). We usually stop at Flying Js right before the border to gas up, use the restroom and get food from Wendy's. We then drive all the way to Disneyland. We usually stay at the Grand.

We have stopped in Cabazon to check out the dinosaurs that were used in the PeeWee Herman movie when we want to stretch our legs.
Forgot about Cabazon, my better half always liked to stop there to shop at the outlets.

We've stopped many times at that gas station! Helps one's bank account for sure when the gas jumps in price by $1 or more a gallon when you cross the border into CA!

I can save you a side trip. The Calico ghost town is lame. They literally built everything yesterday. There is very little of any real historical significance there. Originally re-built by Walter Knott - OK, noted.

YMMV of course. It gets really high marks, but I do wonder who is leaving the reviews. Then again, what else is there to do on a desert road?

Vegas 15 can get real busy and you find a lot of nascar drivers, or even worse the ones that like to sit next to a slow semi and block traffic. Really avoid Las Vegas
FIFY. I hate that drive and hate everything in Las Vegas when you get there. Most of all hate the people that go there on the regular. Rudest drivers on the planet. It's a shame you have to go that way to get to national parks in Utah and the Hoover dam.

Can you expand on this? That’s the route we’ll be driving.
You should be fine. The traffic to-from Palm Springs gets really bad when the Stagecoach and Coachella music festivals are going on. Both just happened. We go out there for Sandstorm (HUGE LAX tournament) and will sometimes go out to get away from everyone on our anniversary in August (why yes, it is very hot that time of year - thus the absence of people - LOVE IT!). We've never encountered all that bad of traffic.

It’s a shame that this Southern Utahn has to go that way to get to Disneyland 😂. We leave Wednesday and the dread of that part is already on my mind.
Take solace in the fact that you can visit Bryce, Zion and the north rim of the Grand Canyon so easily.

Hot take; staying in Springdale is over rated. We drove to Hurricane each night to get food anyway. The Dairy Queen in Hurricane is a hidden gem. Best service we got on our entire trip.

Take solace in the fact that you can visit Bryce, Zion and the north rim of the Grand Canyon so easily.

Hot take; staying in Springdale is over rated. We drove to Hurricane each night to get food anyway. The Dairy Queen in Hurricane is a hidden gem. Best service we got on our entire trip.
🤫Stop spilling all the secrets

Mitigate being a victim. Limit stopping anywhere with luggage in your car as much as possible. Don't stay out late. Be aware of your surroundings.

The absolute most dangerous part is the drive. California drivers are by far the worst. The ocean air must kill brain cells because cumulatively, Californians are atrocious drivers.

How do California drivers compare to the DMV area? I'm contemplating renting a car when I visit Disneyland next year but have heard the driving is pretty bad. The DMV area is pretty bad too and I drive here daily so if I can handle it here, I think I can handle Southern California lol It certainly does feel like I'm playing a game of Mario Kart sometimes with these drivers.

We’ll be driving down from Northern California (Sacramento), and I’ve both driven to LA and driven around LA in a rental car many times. You have to be smart and aware, like you would anywhere, but if you can drive in any major American city I think you can drive in LA.

You can't generalize California drivers as a whole because different regions can be on different extremes in terms of driving culture.

For example:

In LA and Southern California in general drivers are aggressive but predictable in their aggressiveness. You will be fine if you know what you are doing behind the wheel and know when to get out of the way.

Bay Area and Northern California drivers are on the opposite spectrum. Left lanes on the freeway here are the most popular campgrounds where completely oblivious and unpredictable drivers like to camp out at or below the speed limit, often in a white Tesla.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter