Sam's vs Costco

We have both. My husband got the membership recently for Costco but we've been SAMs club members for years. It's closer to our home. Personally, I find the meats and fish tastier at Costco. The vegetables too. The red pepper and asparagus a lot better than SAMs club. I do a lot of sautéed dishes My DH bought a tres leches cake that is excellent. He's bought it 3xs he likes it soo much. Not too sweet tasting. Plus the milk is cheaper. But we keep the SAMs club membership since it's pretty close to my house.

Last time a friend called me when I was at the Costco pharmacy and she asked me who would (be stupid enough to) go to their pharmacy on the weekend. She doesn't have a full time job:) I can only hit it during peak times and mine almost always has all lanes open and lines are usually numerous customers deep. I wish we had self checkout or an express lane.

I would gladly shop at my Costco on the busiest day of the week over the slowest at my local Meijer. No matter how packed or busy it is, waiting in line still doesn't take more then 10 minutes even if there are so many people. At my local Meijer I've waited over 30 minutes with just 2 people in front of me! The cashiers there are so slow I've actually complained to management. I've worked as a cashier for many years and they all just seem so unmotivated and lazy to me. I always want to rip my hair out by the time we leave because my kid is reaching her breaking point for having to sit there for so long. At Costco they're quick and they always seem to be in a good mood, plus they have 'baggers' (cart loaders?).

Does anyone know if you can go into Costco and look around or do you need a membership? I tried calling the local store, but its all voice-recordings and I didn't have the patience to figure out how to get a live person.

Does anyone know if you can go into Costco and look around or do you need a membership? I tried calling the local store, but its all voice-recordings and I didn't have the patience to figure out how to get a live person.
You are welcome to go into the store & check it out without a membership - you just won't be able to buy anything. The employee at the door will direct you to go to the customer service desk where you can tell them you just want to look around prior to purchasing a membership.

You can also buy a Costco gift card from the membership desk and use that to purchase items without having a membership.

You can also buy a Costco gift card from the membership desk and use that to purchase items without having a membership.
Really? Interesting...haven't seen the gift cards being sold at our Costco membership desk, just displayed near the check out & entrance areas in the front.

I just went back and checked and it does look like a member has to buy the gift card for you. :-( Apologies for that. Once you have a gift card you can shop the store and buy anything you want with it.

I just went back and checked and it does look like a member has to buy the gift card for you. :-( Apologies for that. Once you have a gift card you can shop the store and buy anything you want with it.

Hm. No matter what form of payment I've used they scan our membership card prior to scanning any items.

I grew up going to BJ's- my parents were members back when you had to be a small business owner to be a member. I moved and my husband came from an avid Costco family. I've been to SAMs only with friends. I like the feeling of Costco- I like their selection of "other" stuff- this is what got my mom- after being a BJ's member for 30+ years she's dying for one to open close to them. There are so many things we like at costco and they go out of their way to stock high quality items. I have some staples I buy but after being unemployed and couponing I found that a lot of things at any wholesale club are not worth it. We've drastically cut our warehouse spending since (and I'm now back to work) but will continue to go to Costco. I bought our crib there, sneakers for my dad every xmas, random prepared food and their house brand baby wipes are amazing- the packaging is perfect for daycare. Since I know I can get my staples for cheap using coupons and sales at my local grocery store or Rite Aid/CVS we have Costco strictly for their extras, frozen foods, samples (yum) and $1.50 hotdog/soda deal. My husband goes out to lunch once or twice a week to get out of the office and it saves us a bunch of money now that he works across the street.

I also ditto whoever said the thing about costco's business model and employees- I believe they are a better company.

So far I have discovered.. SAMs club takes awful pictures for ID cards and have no sense of humor about it lol
The snack bar has bigger selection. And more options . I.e. Hotdog with no drink 1.30

In my opinion, Costco is the better value. For example, Costco's sheet cakes are a little bit more, but they are made from scratch and have a wonderful filling whereas Sam's cakes, I believe, are shipped in frozen and then frosted at the store. They also don't have filling. I want to say their rotisserie chicken are the same. Sam's is a little bit cheaper but smaller.

A few years ago we were looking for dollhouses. Both stores had the same basic dollhouse. Sam's was $100 but had white walls, white floors and unfurnished. Costco on the other hand, every room had dollhouse wallpaper, dollhouse flooring and all six rooms were furnished and it cost $130. This was an incredible deal as just one room of dollhouse furniture can easily cost $30, but to have all six rooms furnished ? Wow.

The 3 Sam's Clubs in Southeast New England just closed. We have BJs, which I love, but the closest Costco is an hour away. Hoping Costco comes to RI, but I can't blame them if not - we have the worst business climate and the most governmental corruption.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter