Sand stuck in girls bathing suits???

Mom3girls

DIS Veteran
Have any of you experienced visiting the beach and after 8 hours of sitting and digging in the sand and riding waves, there is sand stuck in between the layers of material of little girls bathing suits? I washed them in my washer on hand washable setting and soak cycle, but the sand is still in there. It makes the suit look very dirty almost looks like there is pepper behind the first layer. Other than cutting a hole through the inside layer of material to get the sand out anyone else had luck with anything else? Please help can't afford to buy new suits they only wore them twice and we go to WDW next month so there's enough spending going on!:confused3

I hate that too, especially on DDs white suit. I just wash them with the regular load and it seems to come out.

I had this happen with my DD10 a few years ago and I had to cut a slit across the part with the sand in it and completely turn it inside out and rinse it out in the sink. It didn't affect the suit at all she wore it a lot after that and it was easy to keep clean after that. LOL:rotfl:

Depending on how the suit is made, would it be possible to cut a slit inthe first layer near the seam, rinse out the sand, and then re-sew it???

Just looking for ideas. My son has a white surf shirt and for the life of me I can't get the sand out. Same thing as OP, looks like it's dirty. If I pull it snug and scratch it the sand comes off, but it's not enough.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll cut a small slit in the inner layer and get the sand out. Thanks!

Ironically, dd told me today that her bathing suit has sand stuck in it also (didn't come out in the wash the first time). I've never noticed that before, but we only go to the beach one week a year.

Urgh, I learned the hard way last summer...never where a light colored swimsuit to the beach. We love seat in our surf chairs in the shallows. Last summer I wore a light suit and I'm still getting sand out.

Now only dark suits for me.

Wonder if you could hose it out with a high-pressured hose or power washer?:cool2:

Have any of you experienced visiting the beach and after 8 hours of sitting and digging in the sand and riding waves, there is sand stuck in between the layers of material of little girls bathing suits? I washed them in my washer on hand washable setting and soak cycle, but the sand is still in there. It makes the suit look very dirty almost looks like there is pepper behind the first layer. Other than cutting a hole through the inside layer of material to get the sand out anyone else had luck with anything else? Please help can't afford to buy new suits they only wore them twice and we go to WDW next month so there's enough spending going on!:confused3

I have had so much sand in my suit at times I could have sworn I was forming a pearl! :rotfl2:

I don't have any suggestions for you but do have a cute story to share. My 6 year old was thrilled when we went to Myrtle Beach and was very excited with her first time swiming in the ocean. She was not impressed with all the sand in her bathing suit, though, and announced loudly " I've got sand everywhere! I even think its in my Virginia!" We still laugh about that. I would try the slit in the lining suggestion,too.

I don't have any suggestions for you but do have a cute story to share. My 6 year old was thrilled when we went to Myrtle Beach and was very excited with her first time swiming in the ocean. She was not impressed with all the sand in her bathing suit, though, and announced loudly " I've got sand everywhere! I even think its in my Virginia!" We still laugh about that. I would try the slit in the lining suggestion,too.

:rotfl2: too funny!

We live near the beach, and I wash sand out of swimsuits almost every day for several months out of the year (DD9 is taking surfing lessons, too, so a lot of sand gets a lot of places :rotfl2: ). This is what works for me:

1. Rinse off the bulk of the sand at the beach if possible.
2. Rinse suits under the faucet when we get home (turn inside out).
3. Soak suits in cold water in the sink for a long time (sometimes an hour or more if they have been really covered with sand) - lots of sand will move through the suits and settle on the bottom of the sink.
4. Rinse under faucet again before putting in washer.
5. Wash on handwash setting and hang to dry.

That usually gets it all out. Occasionally I will pull the suits out of the wash and there will be sand on them that has moved from the lining to the outside of the suit. I rinse the external sand off. I think you can also cut the lining and then re-sew, but I would be doing that every day! :rotfl2:

Urgh, I learned the hard way last summer...never where a light colored swimsuit to the beach. We love seat in our surf chairs in the shallows. Last summer I wore a light suit and I'm still getting sand out.

Now only dark suits for me.

Wonder if you could hose it out with a high-pressured hose or power washer?:cool2:

When DDs were younger and would sit in the sand, they would 'bring home what seemed to be half of the beach in the suits' ;) . What worked best to get it out (but was not the easiest way) was for me to hold the suit very taut (stretch it out as much as possible w/o ripping it) and use the force of water (an outdoor hose on 'jet' spray worked best) to push the sand out from between the layers. It did take some work, but I did get it out. Not the easiest way probably, but it did work. I got smarter though. I found that many (NOT all) speedo swim suits for girls have the split lining that overlaps. It is more common IMO in the darker colored suits. That made sand removal a breeze. Best of luck to you. :goodvibes

I have had so much sand in my suit at time I could have sworn I was forming a pearl! :rotfl2:

Now that was really pretty funny!! :rolleyes:

on my suits one end of the inside liner is not sewn to the suit. the two layers make a sort of pocket that sand could be rinsed out of. i think cutting the inside layer near the seam would allow you to rinse out the sand and not cause any damage to the suit.

on my suits one end of the inside liner is not sewn to the suit. the two layers make a sort of pocket that sand could be rinsed out of. i think cutting the inside layer near the seam would allow you to rinse out the sand and not cause any damage to the suit.

I have cut my crotch liners before with no ill effects :woohoo:

I took the hose to my kids suits. I took them outside, turned them inside out and put the hose on full blast on the section with all the sand. It worked... took a while so I gave the kids the hose and made them do it (hee hee, they loved it!)

living near a beach means "sand blasting" swimsuits often.

first try high pressure water, but if the liner is too closely knit, a small slit is the best bet..

a gentle recommendation: whatever color the suit is (light or dark colored), always try to get the sand out. i know a few little girls that had to deal with infections b/c of sand :sad1:

hth

Depending on how the suit is made, would it be possible to cut a slit inthe first layer near the seam, rinse out the sand, and then re-sew it???

yes The best in sexy swimwear are bikinis of any style that best suit your body type. Bathing suits for women can be categorized like one piece or two piece suits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter