Saying "NO" to timeshare

The "breakfast" was essentially some doughnuts and mini cereals, and there was no friendly "This is an awesome place" spiel, just hardcore selling for an hour and half, while we smiled politely (we ARE Canadian after all) but refused. THen they sent us through another supervisor which took a half hour, until we could get our Disney gift card. UGH. They sales person went from high pressure to friendly to high pressure to "I am just SO DISSAPOINTED i Can't help you achieve your dream" dissapointment. Really soured us on the place, which was wonderful otherwise.

Too funny. :) We'll do a timeshare presentation if we have time to kill and there's money to be gotten, like $100. It's never worth it of course for the 2-3 hours you commit. (tho they claim it's only 60 or 90 minutes, it takes way longer because you have to get there early, and then gather your kids after, etc). I have no problem saying no tho, so we'll play along. We'll get all excited looking at the properties. It's fun if you make it a game. It's a game to them after all, they're trying to get their commission not genuinely help you. I love the "stages of timeshare salesman" (coming to Broadway!)... The salesperson who is happy and talks about your vacation, then if he cant close the deal he'll bring in his manager, who will solemnly agree to let you go if he cant close it, but have you talk to their high-pressure guy who will do everything down to getting you to make a tiny deposit to lock in the option to buy the timeshare next year... anything to get any credit card slip signed by you before you leave the office.

A timeshare purchase is never a good idea. Some people buy them with the idea of a financial investment, but a timeshare is not a good investment at all. Besides, there are lots of fees involved.

Of course they benefit the seller, not the buyer. They provide a large chunk of cash up front and guaranteed occupancy even when a hotel would otherwise go unfilled. What most don't consider is that if the same money was put into stocks, and those stocks topped off yearly by the amount of your fees, you could pay for the vacations out of that stock account, and have money left at the end. That is what the time-share seller is doing w your money, they're investing it.

If you love it tho, it's like a vacation. If you want to spend your money on it and you like doing that specific vacation, then it's good for you and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Of course they benefit the seller, not the buyer. They provide a large chunk of cash up front and guaranteed occupancy even when a hotel would otherwise go unfilled. What most don't consider is that if the same money was put into stocks, and those stocks topped off yearly by the amount of your fees, you could pay for the vacations out of that stock account, and have money left at the end. That is what the time-share seller is doing w your money, they're investing it.

If you love it tho, it's like a vacation. If you want to spend your money on it and you like doing that specific vacation, then it's good for you and that's all that matters.

Of course if you buy resale, that doesn't work. It would take a VERY long time for the $12 I spent for my 3 weeks in Orlando to generate enough ROI to pay for any vacation.:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter