Scholastic Book Clubs

Yikes, I feel old! I've re-read them more than once, but I still remember the anticipation as the last few came out.
My kids were really into them, so my wife and I had to find out what the big deal was, so we read them all as well.

LOL. You realize the Harry Potter books first came out 25 years ago. More than a generation ago!

Yikes, I feel old! I've re-read them more than once, but I still remember the anticipation as the last few came out.

o_O I feel old too! I remember standing in line for Books 6 & 7 at the midnight premieres. It seems like only a few years ago.

Anyone had a Bookmobile that used to come to the school? We had one, but it would only come around once every 3rd week on a Thursday. I knew even back then that I would never remember that to be able to return a book, so I never got anything from the Bookmobile.

Last edited:
Lol, I was too poor for that. But I loved book fair days, browsing those big cases of books. I would usually be able to scrape together a little money to spend there, a couple dollars went a lot further in the 80s!

o_O I feel old too! I remember standing in line for Books 6 & 7 at the midnight premieres. It seems like only a few years ago.
I did that too, went to the premier for book 6 at Borders bookstore, but I wrote my thesis on the Harry Potter books and only books 1-5 were released. Then I was working as a librarian when book 7 was released and we got it shipped to the library early and I may have read it before the official release date.

My kids got them in elementary school and we ordered from them. We've also been to Scholastic book fairs. My younger son's school though now does book fairs through a local independent bookstore. My favorite though is their warehouse sales. We live close to a Scholastic warehouse and about twice a year they hold warehouse sales with crazy good deals. You can also print off a coupon if you register on their website.

It wasn't a real club, in that there weren't meetings or officers or anything, like you might have in chess club or drama club. That's just what they called it.

It was funny, I grew up poor, but we always had money for books. Especially the Scholastic books, which were mostly paperbacks, back in the day. I'd always be the kid in class who got a big stack of them on book delivery day.

For my kids' schools, I would always buy the teacher's entire wish list at book fairs. I remember what it was like to be poor, books saved me, so I pay it forward. Book fairs had more hard cover books, and extras like posters, fancy pencils, etc.
I grew up poor, too. But everyone was poor back then so no big deal. We always had books—Dr. Seuss, Bennett Cerf, and Scholastic Book Club at school.

My kids were really into them, so my wife and I had to find out what the big deal was, so we read them all as well.

It was my oldest niece who got me into them. Her birthday is in July, right around when the new ones would come out, so that was what she usually asked for. I was intrigued, so she loaned me the first few and I caught up. - The next year, I was waiting right along with her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter