School bus conversion allowed?

wonderlandaddict

DIS Veteran
We are in the process of a school bus conversion , is this allowed at Ft. Wilderness? Is this type allowed at most RV parks? Does disney offer a monthly rate in the winter months? Sorry for all of the questions, we are long term disney visitors in renting DVC points but very new to camping! thanks

I can’t answer for most RV parks but there have been lots of conversions at the Fort, including bus conversions.

No monthly rates, you just pay the going daily rate for time you’re there.

Definitely allowed at the Fort. The Fort now only has daily rates which are higher for busier times and on Fridays and Saturdays. We cross the country every year and see school bus conversions all over, but I bet some places won't allow them. During check-in the clerk hardly ever sees the RV, so ..... Don't ask Don't tell!

In years past, there was a policy that RVs/campers had to be less than 10 years old. (The objective was to make sure the Fort looked upscale so people wouldn't be offended by the high price for a site). I don't know if that rule is still in effect... now that we have a Pastry Chef for a Resort Manager. (He seems to not care much about anything that happens there). I'd call first if I were you. You would want to be turned away at arrival.

Definitely allowed at the Fort. The Fort now only has daily rates which are higher for busier times and on Fridays and Saturdays. We cross the country every year and see school bus conversions all over, but I bet some places won't allow them. During check-in the clerk hardly ever sees the RV, so ..... Don't ask Don't tell!
The last time I was there, you are actually sitting in your RV to check in. I can’t imagine that this has changed due to the way the check in is designed, so I’m assuming you’ve never been there.

OP, sorry I can’t answer your question But did what to clarify that they will definitely know what kind of RV you arrive in.

The last time I was there, you are actually sitting in your RV to check in. I can’t imagine that this has changed due to the way the check in is designed, so I’m assuming you’ve never been there.

OP, sorry I can’t answer your question But did what to clarify that they will definitely know what kind of RV you arrive in.

They prefer that you do online check in now, they text you your site number. So, no need to stop at the Outpost check in area.

They prefer that you do online check in now, they text you your site number. So, no need to stop at the Outpost check in area.

Gotcha.

So they have no clerks in the check in stations anymore, at all? That used to be one of our favorite things to do after driving through several states to get there and always having to get out and go in an office.

Gotcha.

So they have no clerks in the check in stations anymore, at all? That used to be one of our favorite things to do after driving through several states to get there and always having to get out and go in an office.
It depends on when you arrive. Sometimes you stay in vehicle, sometimes you go inside. Earlier in the morning usually go inside. It's not always the same so some folks actually have been there just were told to do it differently.

More recently the check in has moved to online. The initial guard you encounter always told you which way was being used at your arrival time.

I've NEVER heard of FW having any policy on the age of the RV. Some airstream campers are 20-30+ years old and going strong. I've seen several vintage RVs over the years.

Last edited:
It depends on when you arrive. Sometimes you stay in vehicle, sometimes you go inside. Earlier in the morning usually go inside. It's not always the same so some folks actually have been there just were told to do it differently.

More recently the check in has moved to online. The initial guard you encounter always told you which way was being used at your arrival time.

Let me ask you another question related to the OP. Do you still have to break a long stay up into 14 day reservations?

Let me ask you another question related to the OP. Do you still have to break a long stay up into 14 day reservations?
There are some folks who stay full time at FW. Not heard them say they had to move around unless the site or loop was undergoing maintenance.

It’s 30 days max per reservation. You can stay longer, you would just need multiple reservations.

This. The arrival day of the second reservation is the same as the departure day of the first reservation.

If you plan a multiple reservation stay, my advice would be to book early.

Bama Ed

It’s 30 days max per reservation. You can stay longer, you would just need multiple reservations.

Thanks for that information. I thought I had to make multiple reservations the last time I was there, but it's been a few years and I just couldn't remember.

I quit going to the campground when people were using it to make reservations for FP and then canceling. On that visit, where I had to adjust my dates to even get the number of nights I wanted, the loop remained empty my entire visit. So, I just gave up and haven't been back.

We are considering it for later this year and appreciate the information.

This. The arrival day of the second reservation is the same as the departure day of the first reservation.

If you plan a multiple reservation stay, my advice would be to book early.

Bama Ed

How early is early?

I was just responding to a post that my last visit was when people were booking campsites they didn't intend to keep just so they could make FP. Hopefully, that's in the past, but back then you really had to book almost a year in advance to get a lengthy stay. Is that the case now?

I have been camping at the Fort for 40 years and have never heard of this. EVER!

I was never asked how old my camper was.

This.

Age of the camper has never been an issue at the Fort. I've never heard of it ever being a "policy" at the Fort (and it probably never was given the fact that we provide sites for huge rv's at the high end of the market down to tent campers at the entry level end of the market).

Some exclusive RV parks (and there is that market) do have that policy in place (my old popup with canvas -13yo, garage stored, and still beautiful outside when I traded it in - would NOT have been welcome). But they don't allow tenters.

So age is not an issue at Fort Wilderness.

Bama Ed

Some exclusive RV parks (and there is that market)

Yes, which means you don't have a repeat, loyal clientele for very long. I understand why they have the rule, but when my 11 year RV looks just as nice as the 10 year old, where you draw the line, I'm at a loss for words.

I drive a 36ft motorhome. I'm not replacing that with a new one every 10 years.

How early is early?

I was just responding to a post that my last visit was when people were booking campsites they didn't intend to keep just so they could make FP. Hopefully, that's in the past, but back then you really had to book almost a year in advance to get a lengthy stay. Is that the case now?

Wombat,

"It depends".

Seriously, on when you want to stay there.

The holiday and special event periods outside of summer book up well over a year in advance. The Fort allows booking at 499 nights/500 days from ARRIVAL with a max of 30 days per reservation. Halloween, Thanksgiving weekend, and Christmas-New Years time all book up pretty much when the 500d window opens or soon thereafter. In early January is the WDW Marathon weekend which books up over a year in advance. And there is usually a race in February too (Princess iirc).

So point is if you're a snowbird type of guest (who comes south to Florida for several months during late fall - winter then you need to book at the 500 window or close to it. It's just a reservation and you pay a deposit. You can always cancel it and get your money back. Summer time it's not as hard to book a site (other than around July 4) so then you don't have to book at 500d - a year or 9 months might be enough.

WDW has implemented stupid algorithms in its reservation system to make it difficult to add/drop nights easily. So sometimes a 2nd reservation (consecutive, same type, etc.) is necessary. And the whole FP thing frustrates all of us.

Bama Ed

PS - lots more RV'rs and campers than when the Fort opened in 1971 and expanded in 1976-77. Other than a few sites added as infill, the Fort has not expanded. That means fixed supply, increasing demand, leading to higher prices and resulting in reservations made further in advance. It is what it is.

PPS - although I noticed this past year pre-covid that during holiday times there was usually limited availability (didn't look for 30 days) in the highest priced category Premium Meadows. So the Full, Preferred, and Premium sites fill up before the Meadows do. No surprise, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter