Scooter Bug My experience

Meglen

DIS Veteran
Rented from scooter bug this week. Pushing the wheelchair became to much for me. So I got one delivered was quick and easy next day delivery. We had no issues till we plugged it in at Epcot and the light just stayed red. We didn't think anything of it. The light turned off so assumed it was charged. The meter on the top said green and we went on our way. We did a loop of the country's with her walking some while it's parked. We had it turned on for about 3 hours.

This is when things downhill.. literally.

We went to get on the monorail from Epcot on the hill the ecv just turned off. We were able to get it back on to get to the top. Thought it was a fluke. Nope did it again getting on the ramp on top the monorail cart. I couldn't find the neutral so I had to drag it up the rest of the way in. This happened about 3 more times trying to get to the grand Floridian. We found an outlet thinking maybe it died.. well we plugged it in and the thing just started to beep like crazy.

We called and talked with a tech. The info she had didn't line up with the model they gave us. No reset button no yellow neutral lever. In the end the neutral lever was faulty and reading like it was changing gear and stalling out.

They got us a new ecv within 2 hours. We had a mix up at bell service and they gave us the old one back..so I called to confirm and bell server promptly came and swapped it back.

This new evc had stickers over it saying to not get wet, the wires in the center console near your feet were all exposed. I tucked them back in and we left it to charge over night. Well this morning the center console lights kept turning off when moving the steering wheel. And the thing made a horrible clicking sound when it moved. So I called said I'm dropping it off and I want a refund.

With this being the only company Disney will hold for you I am really disappointed since we have a early flight Sunday I needed it.

So back to pushing and hope the parks have ecvs available.

Scooter bug customer service was great. The machines not so much.

Ever since Scooterbug became the "exclusive" provider for WDW, their quality has gone downhill (pun unintended). I had a problem with my scooter, as well, this past January. It seemed like an older model, and it showed. The batteries wouldn't hold a charge for very long, and I had tons of problems disassembling it. They sent me a new one, and the bolts holding the seat together were the wrong size, so it wouldn't fold properly.

I'm going to try GM next time.

Sad to hear, we used Gold and the machine was great, but weren't happy with the people. Was starting to look around.

Ever since Scooterbug became the "exclusive" provider for WDW, their quality has gone downhill (pun unintended). I had a problem with my scooter, as well, this past January. It seemed like an older model, and it showed. The batteries wouldn't hold a charge for very long, and I had tons of problems disassembling it. They sent me a new one, and the bolts holding the seat together were the wrong size, so it wouldn't fold properly.

I'm going to try GM next time.
Yea the ones we got the seats felt like they were attached with rubber bands.

Sad to hear, we used Gold and the machine was great, but weren't happy with the people. Was starting to look around.

That's too bad :(. I've rented from Gold many times and have always been happy with them. I even had them swap out a scooter for me on my last visit because it was making weird rubbing noises and didn't seem to be able to get up to a higher speed. They were friendly and professional.

Rented from scooter bug this week. Pushing the wheelchair became to much for me. So I got one delivered was quick and easy next day delivery. We had no issues till we plugged it in at Epcot and the light just stayed red. We didn't think anything of it. The light turned off so assumed it was charged. The meter on the top said green and we went on our way. We did a loop of the country's with her walking some while it's parked. We had it turned on for about 3 hours.

We went to get on the monorail from Epcot on the hill the ecv just turned off. We were able to get it back on to get to the top. Thought it was a fluke. Nope did it again getting on the ramp on top the monorail cart. I couldn't find the neutral so I had to drag it up the rest of the way in. This happened about 3 more times trying to get to the grand Floridian. We found an outlet thinking maybe it died.. well we plugged it in and the thing just started to beep like crazy.

We called and talked with a tech. The info she had didn't line up with the model they gave us. No reset button no yellow neutral lever. In the end the neutral lever was faulty and reading like it was changing gear and stalling out.

They got us a new ecv within 2 hours. We had a mix up at bell service and they gave us the old one back..so I called to confirm and bell server promptly came and swapped it back.

This new evc had stickers over it saying to not get wet, the wires in the center console near your feet were all exposed. I tucked them back in and we left it to charge over night. Well this morning the center console lights kept turning off when moving the steering wheel. And the thing made a horrible clicking sound when it moved. So I called said I'm dropping it off and I want a refund.

With this being the only company Disney will hold for you I am really disappointed since we have a early flight Sunday I needed it.

I'm sorry that Scooter Bug gave you a couple of real lemons. I hope that you were able to make it through the rest of your trip with the wheelchair/park ECVs.

I am sorry, we used Gold based on reviews here. The scooters were very new looking, the staff friendly and helpful. We saw several Scooterbug scooters, they were definitely better looking than the WDW scooters, but still rather run down compared to Gold.
I am sorry your experience was so bad.

I say Go with Gold Mobility and have them pick up the night before if you are leaving too early for them to pick up. They usually will come to your room or at closer than the front of the resort to pick up if you need them to.

Honestly their in person delivery is generally faster than the line for bell services. And they meet on your schedule.

So sorry you had such a tough experience with your Scooterbug ECV. I've been using them for several years, including 3 trips this year. I've never had a bad experience with the ECV (knock on wood). I agree with you that Scooterbug's customer service is great. I tend to do last-minute resort changes, and Scooterbug's customer service responds instantly via email. I have had a couple of "older" ECVs from Scooterbug as some people have mentioned, but after having a bright and shiny brand new slowpoke of a machine a couple of trips back, I now actually request the "old" ECVs. They're faster. For my last trip in November 2022, I reserved online and made the following special request: "Please give me a fast one. I don't care if it's old and beat up." Sure enough, when I picked up my ECV, I could see that it was older. It was the fastest one I've had yet. At top speed, my hair was blowing back. I liked that Scooterbug honored my request for a fast one.

I say Go with Gold Mobility and have them pick up the night before if you are leaving too early for them to pick up. They usually will come to your room or at closer than the front of the resort to pick up if you need them to.

Honestly their in person delivery is generally faster than the line for bell services. And they meet on your schedule.
We had Gold this last trip. I requested a noon pickup . The day before they told me they would pick it up at 12:30. I texted back, I had requested noon. They replied, Yes, you did, but it's only a request. It says in the confirmation email that the time can be changed. I said our driver is picking us up at 12:30. How about a little before noon. They said we'll see what we can do. About 5 hours later I texted them back looking for an update. Then they said 11:30

Note, I had make the reservation months ago, not just a last min request. They said he didn't matter.

We had Gold this last trip. I requested a noon pickup . The day before they told me they would pick it up at 12:30. I texted back, I had requested noon. They replied, Yes, you did, but it's only a request. It says in the confirmation email that the time can be changed. I said our driver is picking us up at 12:30. How about a little before noon. They said we'll see what we can do. About 5 hours later I texted them back looking for an update. Then they said 11:30

Note, I had make the reservation months ago, not just a last min request. They said he didn't matter.
Interesting. We had a 9:00 am pick up. The night before, they texted that it would be 8:30. Then at 8:15, they texted to ask where I was. We were staying at OKW, and meeting them at the lobby. Since we were staying down at South Point, I was on the way and texted them that. I hope that isn't a trend. I've rented from Gold about 6 times-never had a last minute time change before.

I think you were wrong and unreasonable BUT I PUT THE BLAME on fanboy posters. Think about it.It is not fair or reasonable to think Gold can meet every customer the exact time the customer wants. Nor is it reasonable to think Gold's schedule can logistically be set up based on reservation date. Gold generally accomodated our time within 30 minutes.
Competitor's have a handful of delivery times set per resort.
Some people are happier when scooters are delivered via bell services. Pick a resort or company that works for.

You're getting a TV delivered. You get a call the day before moving from 10 to 1030.

Again I put the blame on the posters who offer unrealistic and exaggerated delivery expectations.

Last edited:
I have no problem with delivery/pick up being up to an hour either way. I don’t plan to connect with Gold until I have been at the resort for at least an hour or returning the scooter at least an hour before I need to leave.

I rented with Golds for the third time this past October. I wanted a 7 am pick up but was bumped to 730. They wanted to collect the scooter an hour earlier than I had asked, and I told them that was unacceptable. They ended up picking it up 30 minutes after I wanted to hand it off but I made that work.

Good to know the times are subject to their availability.

After two fine experiences with ScooterBug over the last couple years where we never had anything go wrong we got the pleasure of dealing with a bad scooter in Nov. Customer service had us waiting an hour on the phone and then didn’t replace the scooter like they said they would. After half an hour on the phone the next day we were able to get it changed out that afternoon at our next resort. In the meantime my Dad had to deal with a scooter randomly deciding not to turn back on.

It was unacceptable. There is no reason to be putting out bad ECVs and having crappy customer service. With the level of business they do changing out scooters should be zero issues and with the bank they make off being Disney’s exclusive provider the ECVs shouldn’t be in such bad shape to start with.

I used Walker Mobility last time, I highly recommend. The staff was so friendly and kind. Cherilyn assisted me in booking and was a sweetheart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter