Security bag check warning items

Jsharp13

Mouseketeer
I have been told to pull out my umbrella and phone battery back ups out of my backpack, and hold them in front of me when walking through the security scanner. That was successful.
This trip I plan to take a few more items, like a stainless water bottle, UV umbrella. Should I be taking those items out as well?
What other items trip the scanner that I can preemptively remove?

If you have a hard glasses case, take that out too.

I've seen reports of this happening to other people too but the zippers on my Loungefly bag cause me to get pulled over at security frequently. This is the bag I have so similar zippers may cause the security scanner to go off.

If you have a hard glasses case, take that out too.

I've seen reports of this happening to other people too but the zippers on my Loungefly bag cause me to get pulled over at security frequently. This is the bag I have so similar zippers may cause the security scanner to go off.
Thank you! For some reason I didn't consider Loungefly's. I will have two on this trip so I'll be prepared for those.

Thank you! For some reason I didn't consider Loungefly's. I will have two on this trip so I'll be prepared for those.
I don't think it's every Loungefly since I have another one and nothing happens. That bag in particular causes me so much grief at security lol

The big one for me was the sunglasses case. Then, the next year, my wife's Altoids tin kept flagging her. Well, I THINK it was the Altoids tin because it stopped flagging her when she took it out of her bag.

- eyeglass case with metal hinge
- umbrella

Those are the only 2 items we hold out. We keep our metal water bottles and phone battery backups in our backpack had have not been stopped for those.
My eyeglass case got me a few times, till one of the security guys told me that was setting the detector off. After that I removed it & it was smooth sailing

The big one for me was the sunglasses case. Then, the next year, my wife's Altoids tin kept flagging her. Well, I THINK it was the Altoids tin because it stopped flagging her when she took it out of her bag.
I had issues with the Altoids tin as well. I put some in a small ziploc bag and left the tin in the room, and I didn’t have any more issues after that. I do hold out my umbrella and backup phone battery charger in front of me.

I don't wast my time any more and make a bee line to the bag check. it's just easier then trying to figure out what will set it off on which day. Bag checks takes almost no time at all anymore as long as you have the bag ready(unzip the zippler) for them to check.

Last edited:
Take out the battery back ups, especially if you have more than one and they are together. That was the only time I had my bag checked and he emptied the entire bag trying to figure it out (which is fine but man it took awhile to get everything back in there). It took about 15 minutes for him to empty the bag.

We returned from our trip recently and I did notice that eyeglass cases were a major “culprit” going through security.

I don't wast my time any more and make a bee line to the bag check. it's just easier then trying to figure out what will set it off on which day. Bag checks takes almost no time at all anymore as long as you have the bag ready(unzip the zippler) for them to check.

That's exactly what I was wondering as I asked this question! If I end up having to empty my packed bag, and hand carry almost everything, what's the point, and I might as well just go through the check anyway!

Tins will do it. I had a small tin of first aid stuff and it flagged constantly until I finally figured it out.

I get so frustrated with the security scanners. I'm a local, all I have is keys wallet phone (no bag). I always hold out my phone because it's a chonker. But it goes off 50% of the time. My favorite is I go through no beep, leave and come back a little later, and it goes off. Don't get it.

I tried to ask one time what keeps setting it off, and the security guy just rudely replied "well look at everything you're holding". I just said 3 things isn't a lot, and left.

We have found that the “I’m celebrating—-“ pins that Disney themselves hand out will set off the buzzer when they are in your backpack. My daughter has had this happen several times. The security officer said the pins in the bags tend to set off the alarm.

Reactions: AJA
We went a couple weeks ago and held out my umbrella and got my bag search and I was wanded EVERYTIME.

One of the times I waited in the line to be searched, they were wanding a child of about 5 years old who was wearing little shorts and tank top and clearly not hiding anything nefarious.

There does not seem to be much logic as to who they pull aside for further "screening".

I take out my umbrella and battery backup.
If I bring my DSLR camera, I take that out as well.

I get so frustrated with the security scanners. I'm a local, all I have is keys wallet phone (no bag). I always hold out my phone because it's a chonker. But it goes off 50% of the time. My favorite is I go through no beep, leave and come back a little later, and it goes off. Don't get it.
This is kind of my point, personally I don't think there's any rhyme to reason as to what sets them off. People waste more time taking stuff out of there bag then just heading over to bag check.

We went a couple weeks ago and held out my umbrella and got my bag search and I was wanded EVERYTIME.

One of the times I waited in the line to be searched, they were wanding a child of about 5 years old who was wearing little shorts and tank top and clearly not hiding anything nefarious.

There does not seem to be much logic as to who they pull aside for further "screening".
They don’t chose who is pulled, the scanner system flags and if they can’t identify it immediately you get pulled.

I had a member of my party who kept getting flagged & wanded last trip and we finally figured out it was the jacket she was holding. Once she started holding it out front or leaving it behind she never got flagged again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter