Self Checkout

At Target I think there are the same amount of self-checkouts as there were before covid.
8, 4 on each side of a wide aisle. There are usually only one or two full checkouts in service, out of maybe 10.

Walmart increased the number of selfs someone early last autumn.

The supermarkets I frequent are the same.
As each of the WalMarts in our city expanded to Super Centres with full grocery departments they simultaneously went to having 13 self-check stands and only 3 regular registers; no express lanes at all. Self-check is a real drag for large grocery orders and/or the purchase of big, bulky items and I've seen various types of chaos ensue. There are usually at least 3 staffers overseeing the self-checks; Lord I wish at least one of them would just open a regular register.

The other major grocery chains here all have a small number of self-checks but most of them are 12 items or less, which is actually a very good use of that format. The big drug stores and home improvement stores have the same set up for small orders.

Personally....I really don’t like self-checkout. Something always goes wrong for me, and then I need to wait for a worker, and It’s such a pain in the butt.
The other day I went to the grocery store for one item and the self-checkout was lined up 10 people deep and the cashier for the 15 or less items lane had zero people - naturally I went there. The girl and I both found it funny how all these people were going to self-checkout instead of some going to her.

Last edited:
As each of the WalMarts in our city expanded to Super Centres with full grocery departments they simultaneously went to having 13 self-check stands and only 3 regular registers; no express lanes at all. Self-check is a real drag for large grocery orders and/or the purchase of big, bulky items and I've seen various types of chaos ensue. There are usually at least 3 staffers overseeing the self-checks; Lord I wish at least one of them would just open a regular register.

My closest Walmart is a smaller older store without a full supermarket. But in a few of the SuperCenters I’ve noticed self-checkouts that are full standard size with the moving belt and everything. Perfect for those with larger orders who like to scan their own items.

I miss the regional supermarket Pathmark. They were the first supermarket open 24/7, back in the late 70s or early 80s. No self-checkouts back then, but they had one or two “Bag It Yourself” lanes. I always used them because I’m quite particular about how I want items bagged.

Unfortunately Pathmarks started getting worn out and crappy looking by the mid 00s. My local one closed in 2012 and the whole chain folded in 2015.

Oh, bagging at Walmart. Once I was at a staffed register buying, among other things, a gallon of milk. THREE times I asked the cashier not to bag the milk but she did it anyway.

In general, I’m not a fan of stores where the cashier bags as she scans.

Personally....I really don’t like self-checkout. Something always goes wrong for me, and then I need to wait for a worker, and It’s such a pain in the butt.
The other day I went to the grocery store for one item and the self-checkout was lined up 10 people deep and the cashier for the 15 or items lane had zero people - naturally I went there. The girl and I both found it funny how all these people were going to self-checkout instead of some going to her.
I seem to almost never encounter a regular checkout with no one in line. If I saw a line for self checkout but no line for regular I'd probably go to regular so long as I saw the regular line from where I was at. It just rarely happens and I've been burned a lot with regular checkout as in getting stuck behind slow or complicated checkouts or checks,etc with just my one or two items, my preference seems to be self checkout most of the time.

Winter Garden Florida, and surrounding areas checking in here...

We have super targets, and they have self check out on both ends of the cashier line, and register open in between... Our wal-mart has the same set up, as well all 3 of the Publix's that I go to, have self check out in the middle of the cashier line... All of them have someone at them, overseeing and helping people as they self check out... in some cases at peak times, they might have 2 people...

I go back and forth with using self check out... I'm kinda middle of the road with it...

The problem is that many of these stores cannot get cashiers. No one wants to work these jobs. Look to see a lot more self-service and automation in the future. I have seen a robotic burger machine and the soda at McDonalds is already partially automated.

Yep, and I'm not sure that's really a bad thing. The jobs self check replaces, if they actually replace jobs rather than just allowing for more adequate staffing in other aspects of the store's operations, are generally part time, no benefits, at/near minimum wage and with ridiculous availability requirements. Our local grocery is open 7a to 10p, seven days a week, and wants their cashiers to be available as needed during that time. And they get their schedules on Thursday for the coming week, starting Sunday. Is it any wonder that the only time they can actually fill all their available positions is when there's high unemployment and few other opportunities?

I’m fine with the self checkouts. My major beef is that when I’m buying alcohol, I have to wait for an employee to come by to then scan my DL. Why can’t I do that myself?

Because the employee is supposed to verify that the ID is actually yours. Otherwise anyone could buy alcohol by stealing/borrowing any adult's valid ID.

I don't understand the "I'm not getting paid to be a cashier" mentality. I don't feel like there's any "work" involved in scanning a few items at a self-checkout so I can pay and be out of a store quickly and efficiently. To me, standing in a long line is more work/costly (time wasting) than just doing it myself.

Even in the regular grocery store check out, I will go around to the end and bag/load so the cashier doesn't have to. It makes the checkout process run much more quickly since they don't have to bag and then walk around the end to put each bag in the cart. I'm happy to give them a bit of a break. Why not do something to make someone's day a little easier when it's really no effort on my part. I really can't imagine just standing there and thinking "not my job"

since they don't have to bag and then walk around the end to put each bag in the cart.

Where is this happening that the cashier walks around the register and puts bags in your cart? Is it after each bag is filled, or when the whole order is rung up and bagged?

I’ve never seen anything like that and I doubt anyone in my area would accept such a job if that was a requirement.

I use self checkout the majority of the time-it's quicker, I can bag my items how I prefer them to be bagged, and I can get in and out quickly. In most stores around here you have to bring your own bags, so all a cashier is doing is scanning them anyway.

However, the Publix where my mom lives has a program for and hires special needs teens/adults. It might be across all Publix stores, but I've only been to that one with any regularity. Part of their job is bagging groceries and they always ask before doing it, but I'm happy to let them! (I don't think they have any self-checkout lanes, but could be wrong.) They always also ask if they can help bring your groceries to your car, which is awesome for mom's juggling kids, the elderly, and just anyone who needs a helping hand.

I don't understand the "I'm not getting paid to be a cashier" mentality. I don't feel like there's any "work" involved in scanning a few items at a self-checkout so I can pay and be out of a store quickly and efficiently. To me, standing in a long line is more work/costly (time wasting) than just doing it myself.
My mom's biggest opposition to self-check out is this. She will flat out (much to my embarrassment too TBH) say "I don't get paid to do that sorry and I don't get a discount for doing that". She's actually not an entitled person at all but I admit that grates on me to hear it. I've given the whole spiel too to her about normally getting out of the store quicker but to a lot of people who feel this way time isn't an issue for them as in they don't mind waiting. That's all well and good for them but I prefer quickness.

That said she recently went to her Walmart Neighborhood Market during the early mornings when for like the first hour it's self-checkout and that was a more recent change. She had never done self-checkout without me present and the woman at the service desk offered to help her out. I think sometimes people also just get flustered at the machines and don't want to worry about the mechanics involved (a valid reason given the machines). I just told her it's a good thing she hadn't started when the machines first came out when they were more sensitive and a bit of a fussy machine. Will she go back during that hour when it's self-checkout? Unlikely, she told me she'll mostly avoid going during that time.

But yeah her and I both have done retail (she's often done two jobs corporate and retail at the same time) but we have drastically differing opinions on self-checkout. I never see it as I don't get paid to do that work, I don't joke about a discount for bagging and scanning my own stuff (and you're going to bag your own stuff at Menards anyways).

In my area, Kroger has doubled their self check outs. There is never more than one person doing "regular" checkout anymore. Publix has no self check outs. Walmart has 10 to 12, maybe more (it's a Super Walmart) regular check outs but never more than 2 ever open. Walmart's self checkouts are always backed up. Target has 5 self check outs.

Where is this happening that the cashier walks around the register and puts bags in your cart? Is it after each bag is filled, or when the whole order is rung up and bagged?

I’ve never seen anything like that and I doubt anyone in my area would accept such a job if that was a requirement.
It's stores that were originally intended to have a separate person bagging the groceries. Usually the cashier would scan the items and slide them onto the next conveyor belt for the bagger to package and load into the customer's cart.
bag.jpg

If the cashier does the bagging (for those who are of the "it's not my job to bag groceries" mentality), they will walk around to put the bags in their cart. Sometimes just at the end of the order, but if it's a large order or if there are bulky items they will walk around mid-order to load the heavy items to make more room for bagging. Either way, it takes longer than bagging/loading at the same time that the cashier is scanning.

I love self-checkout. I bag the groceries the way I want them bagged and I feel like the less people touching my groceries is always a positive as far as germs.

It's not like they are replacing a bunch of employees with the self scan machines. When they remodeled Kroger to put in a set, they took out 2 regular checkout lanes to put in 6 self checkouts - so at the most, one person was replaced since there is always someone manning the self check out, but in all reality, those 2 lanes were probably rarely open at the same time anyway. Also, at least by me, Kroger is always BEGGING for help - even pre-pandemic they couldn't find enough help.

I supervise at a grocery store.

We pay 15 an hour to hire on. We currently have 15 cashiers (only one 1 FT) and have been told we are 6 over. 15 is not nearly enough. If we are lucky to not have any Call in's, we are still short staffed for day. If we do and typically do (this past week alone we have have had 2/3 of our closers call in on 3 separate days), we are totally screwed. We have had a job rec open for 6 months with no qualified apps (meaning there reliability was bad from previous jobs or they can only work mornings weekdays). We cannot call in anyone because the people who we do have already have limited availability and it is outside of those times.

Than I will almost always have someone come up and yell at me to open more lanes while I am either watching self check or manning the return desk so those cashiers can open a second or third lane. Then when I say sorry and tell them I have already called somebody in and this is what we have for the day, they put in a complaint on me. Then I have the people who just yell at my cahiers which cause them to quit much faster than I can hire.

Also please be patient with your cashiers over the summer, with the food stamp increase (with every qualifying child in school instead of 200 per child it is 1200), cooperates are not increasing hours. You will see much longer lines with no extra cashier help.

Our Targets still have the same number of self-checkouts which is about 5-6. Our Costcos took out self check-outs a couple of years ago and one of them just put them back in about a month ago. I liked the Costco self-checkout before, but they got me used to staffed check-outs and I am reluctant to change now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter