Senior 90 on Flights of Passage

daannzzz

OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled
My Dad is a fan of Avatar. He is 90 and in pretty good shape. He dug a stump out of his back yard 3 months ago! He is a little slow at walking now. We are taking him to see Pandora in November. It has been 12 years since he has been to a theme park. Previously he didn't care for Star Tours but liked Soarin', Dinosaur and Test Track. I have read that the movement of the "banshee" on FoP is not as rough as Star Tours but a bit more that Soarin'. Can anyone elaborate on being a senior or taking a senior on this? Thank you.

I'm 60 so I don't know if that counts but I'll try to answer. We rode it twice on Sunday (neither time with FPs by the way) and I found it a little rougher than Soarin as far as the 2D but the movement itself was easy enough. My problem the first time we rode it was I have bad GERD and the front presses against your sternum. I learned the second time if I kind of leaned back a little while they were adjusting it, I didn't have to actually touch the thing while the ride was going on. The glasses wouldn't stay on my face since I have a small head, I actually rode it with only one hand even touching the handlebars because I had to hold my glasses with the other one. We rode Star Tours yesterday for the first time in years and I won't ride it again. The actual motion wasn't bad but I did feel a little sick when we got off. FOP has no big or jerky moves but you do lean forward a bit.

Thanks that helps a lot. I am 61 and get motion sick on lots of things. Dad gets it a bit too but this sounds like he could handle the movement and we can both close our eyes if we get dizzy!

If worried about motion sickness, take a Dramamine before you ride. If nothing else, the placebo effect helps me not worry about the possibility of getting sick which in turn guarantees a pleasant ride. For myself, I'm thinking of Mission Space. I don't have any issues on Sourin or Star Tours and have not tried FoP yet.

Unfortunately Dramamine and Mechlizine both make me very sleepy. The do help, a little, with motion sickness but the side effect is worse for me. :( So I close my eyes on certain rides. I will let Dad decide if he wants to take it. perhaps he can test it out before leaving home!

Unfortunately Dramamine and Mechlizine both make me very sleepy. The do help, a little, with motion sickness but the side effect is worse for me. :( So I close my eyes on certain rides. I will let Dad decide if he wants to take it. perhaps he can test it out before leaving home!

Have you tried ginger capsules? They work very well and won't make you drowsy.

I did try those and SeaBands. Nothing worked for me. I have not tried prescription patches but am getting to the point where I hardly ride the bigger stuff anyway. :) I can still do a coaster here and there and even a spinning item once in a while. It is the simulators mostly, that cause trouble.

Yes. I am imressed by my Dad
I have not tried screaming. I might if I can be alone.

You can also try Emetrol for motion sickness (we use it for my daughter). The rest I can't comment on but I was curious :)

Idk if you'd tried it but Dramamine also makes a non drowsy pill in addition to the original one

Firstly, go Dad! What a trooper!! :thumbsup2

I'm not 90 but I've found this thread really useful, especially in regards to the motion sickness aspect. I seem to have the issue of thinking I'm going to panic and feel sick which I think then makes me feel sick. I'll absolutely try the screaming aspect that was mentioned, although I don't know if the poor people next to me will like me screaming down their ears on FOP! :rotfl:

Idk if you'd tried it but Dramamine also makes a non drowsy pill in addition to the original one
Just to put my two cents in here. Dramamine makes me extremely sleepy. Like falling asleep in line while standing up sleepy. The non drowsy pill wasn't much better, no falling asleep in line but I had to concentrate on staying awake as soon as we sat down for any ride. I also forget part of the day with the non drowsy ( rode ET at Universal but don't recall it at all). So if Dramamine bothers you the non drowsy might not be any better. Screaming does help on the roller coasters but not the flight simulators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter