September 2014 car rental watch

What time did you pick up? My flight lands at 5pm and I wonder if that's a bad thing because all the good cars will be gone by then. :)

I rent from Alamo at MCO 4-5 times per year. My experience has generally been that you see "upgraded" cars in the full-size aisle later in the day. And usually at busier times, like a holiday weekend.

picked up two days ago and rented through alamo -full sized.

There were NO cars, only SUVs and mini vans in the fullsized lane at MCO. We are driving a nissan pathfinder. there were kia sorrentos and dodge minivans. And an extended cab truck. i didnt notice the model.

So we have an idea and hoping it works as we are thinking. We have a standard reserved through Alamo at MCO for 11 days for $175 and a minivan for the same time through Alamo for $280. Our thought is to do online check in for both (or just standard), go see if there is a minivan in the full size lane (since standard is upgraded to full size) and if so, forgo the minivan rental. If there is not, we have the minivan rental as a back up.

I haven't done online check in for awhile, so don't remember if I need to put a credit card in and if we will be charged if we don't show. Any thoughts? Any other issues doing this?

I haven't done online check in for awhile, so don't remember if I need to put a credit card in and if we will be charged if we don't show. Any thoughts? Any other issues doing this?

Online check-in requires all info be filled in; personal info, drivers license and yes, credit card info.
I definitely would NOT check-in first, could end up getting billed for both or a no show charge for the one you don't take

Online check-in requires all info be filled in; personal info, drivers license and yes, credit card info.
I definitely would NOT check-in first, could end up getting billed for both or a no show charge for the one you don't take

Ok, so how would we do this? someone go up and check out the lane and report back as to which one to check in for?

Ok, so how would we do this? someone go up and check out the lane and report back as to which one to check in for?

Could do that and check-in at the kiosk or counter. This will leave one reservation not used, but as far as I know they don't penalize you for not using a rezzie if you haven't provided any CC info or DL info.
Personally I always cancel the one I'm not going to use, just out of courtesy.

You never actually said what size vehicle that you NEED for the trip. If you absolutely need a Minivan, then you should book it and stick with it. If however you could get by with a full size car, book it and with Alamo's Aisle system you are guaranteed to get a full size, but more often than not you will find SUVs on the full size aisle and sometimes Minivans.
We have also found in the past that if you don't find something you are comfortable with or like on the full size aisle, asking one of the attendants will get you redirected to pick something from the SUV or premium aisle.

FYI: there is no Standard Aisle at MCO so if Standard is cheaper than full size, book the standard and you will pick something from the full size aisle. This DOESN'T mean that Alamo doesn't have standard cars, just that they will be on the full size aisle. On our last trip, we booked a full size and found a nice Buick Verano on the full size aisle. Vehicle was very nice with all the bells and whistles but when I checked my rental agreement I noticed it said: class rented FCAR (full size) class driven SCAR (standard). I felt a little cheated as I had paid an extra few dollars for full size but the car was great, so my disappointment quickly faded.

nacho113 said:
Could do that and check-in at the kiosk or counter. This will leave one reservation not used, but as far as I know they don't penalize you for not using a rezzie if you haven't provided any CC info or DL info.
Personally I always cancel the one I'm not going to use, just out of courtesy.

You never actually said what size vehicle that you NEED for the trip. If you absolutely need a Minivan, then you should book it and stick with it. If however you could get by with a full size car, book it and with Alamo's Aisle system you are guaranteed to get a full size, but more often than not you will find SUVs on the full size aisle and sometimes Minivans.
We have also found in the past that if you don't find something you are comfortable with or like on the full size aisle, asking one of the attendants will get you redirected to pick something from the SUV or premium aisle.

FYI: there is no Standard Aisle at MCO so if Standard is cheaper than full size, book the standard and you will pick something from the full size aisle. This DOESN'T mean that Alamo doesn't have standard cars, just that they will be on the full size aisle. On our last trip, we booked a full size and found a nice Buick Verano on the full size aisle. Vehicle was very nice with all the bells and whistles but when I checked my rental agreement I noticed it said: class rented FCAR (full size) class driven SCAR (standard). I felt a little cheated as I had paid an extra few dollars for full size but the car was great, so my disappointment quickly faded.

What happens if you have a full size rental but there are minivans or suvs in that row, when you go through the gate do they try to charge you more or will they know that they were in that row?

Has anyone used EZ Rent-A-Car? We got a 9 day minivan rental for $241 taxes included.

Side note any codes/ideas on a decent 12 passenger van rental? For now thinking 2 cars will be cheaper but looking at both.

What happens if you have a full size rental but there are minivans or suvs in that row, when you go through the gate do they try to charge you more or will they know that they were in that row?

Quite often there is other vehicles in the full size aisle and they always seem to charge the correct price. I'm not sure if the vehicles that get put into the aisle are scanned into the aisle when they are brought around so they scan correctly at checkout or this is just the way they are scanned out by the attendant at the exit booth.
When we flew into SFB Oct 2013, we had a full size booked but our flight arrived just after a large tour group from England. The whole plane had vehicles booked through Alamo so there was only 1 Chev Impala left on the aisle when we went out to the lot, we were given the choice to wait for 10-15 minutes until they could bring more cars around OR we could pick something from the SUV or Premium aisle (We grabbed a brand new 2014 Nissan Pathfinder with 12 miles on the clock). When checking out at the exit we were charged exactly the pricing on our reservation for the full size.

There used to be someone (gmeh1 I think) that frequented these threads who used to work for Alamo or National. If he/she is still around, maybe they could chime in with an answer.

You are charged the price you were quoted. Provided the vehicle came out the aisle you reserved or the lot attendant has upgraded you because of a shortage of vehicles.

I just booked Alamo full-size on the Costco site from 9/7 - 9/14 for $125, including taxes. That's $22 less than the mid-size reservation I did a week ago using the Alamo site. If this vacation gets any cheaper someone will be paying us to go! :rotfl2:

I just booked Alamo full-size on the Costco site from 9/7 - 9/14 for $125, including taxes. That's $22 less than the mid-size reservation I did a week ago using the Alamo site. If this vacation gets any cheaper someone will be paying us to go! :rotfl2:

I know, really!! :rotfl2:

I got an Alamo through BJ's for 9 days $100.25 total for a mid-size car. Leaving this Sat!!! :cool1:

I know, really!! :rotfl2:

I got an Alamo through BJ's for 9 days $100.25 total for a mid-size car. Leaving this Sat!!! :cool1:

We leave Saturday too! Come home on the 13th-- Ours was like 103$ ish for what's probably going to be a very embarrassing little car. It looked like a modern equivalent to the Geo Metro :drive: We are 4 adults going sans children so, as my cousin put it "You could have rented us a riding lawnmower and I would be thrilled!".

Grrr! I have been messing around with Alamo website and trying to different coupon codes/corp ID's. I kept getting $92.45 for a compact from 9/6-9/13 mco pickup and somehow I got it down to $70 some and then clicked out of the screen and can't get it back again!:headache:

Oh well, <100$ is still a good price for a week. But I saw $70. I want it back!

Everyone is getting a great deal. I have a costco membership and all I'm seeing are 216.00 for 8 days. Should I wait closer to our departure time?:guilty:

Everyone is getting a great deal. I have a Costco membership and all I'm seeing are 216.00 for 8 days. Should I wait closer to our departure time?:guilty:

$216 is not all that bad but I suspect it will get better as you get closer to your departure date.
Generally your best bet is to find the best rate you can right now and book it. Then keep checking back frequently. If/when a better deal comes up, book it then go back and cancel your original.... rinse and repeat...
Prices will go up and down sometimes daily, sometimes several times in the same day.
Don't book a pre-paid rental unless it is an exceptionally great rate as there is a charge to change/cancel a pre-paid reservation ($10-$50)

The following is pretty typical as to what you will see on rental rate ups and downs. We have gone through a similar roller coaster ride every year when booking our trips:
For our upcoming Sept 26-Oct 3 trip, we originally had a midsize booked with Alamo for $251 taxes incl (booked in April) saw some steady downward movement through May and June and cancelled/rebooked a dozen or more times and ended June with a mid size booked with Dollar and AAA code for $179.
July and August saw a huge jump in rates, up over $500 for a full size almost all rental companies for my dates.
Mid August saw huge price drops across all companies.
First came a Standard with Alamo for $159, then a mid size with Budget for $126, now we have a full size booked with Budget for $108 taxes incl (Costco code and $40 coupon).
I'm not even sure if it can get any lower since base rate for my rental is $77.40 - $40 coupon = $37.40 ($5/day ish) + $70.95 taxes and fees. If it gets much lower and I can still use the coupon, they will be giving me the rental for just the price of the fees and taxes.

We have a reservation through alamo too. Can I ask what the $40 discount code is? I currently have a $30 discount but I'm interested in saving money any where I can. TIA
$216 is not all that bad but I suspect it will get better as you get closer to your departure date.
Generally your best bet is to find the best rate you can right now and book it. Then keep checking back frequently. If/when a better deal comes up, book it then go back and cancel your original.... rinse and repeat...
Prices will go up and down sometimes daily, sometimes several times in the same day.
Don't book a pre-paid rental unless it is an exceptionally great rate as there is a charge to change/cancel a pre-paid reservation ($10-$50)

The following is pretty typical as to what you will see on rental rate ups and downs. We have gone through a similar roller coaster ride every year when booking our trips:
For our upcoming Sept 26-Oct 3 trip, we originally had a midsize booked with Alamo for $251 taxes incl (booked in April) saw some steady downward movement through May and June and cancelled/rebooked a dozen or more times and ended June with a mid size booked with Dollar and AAA code for $179.
July and August saw a huge jump in rates, up over $500 for a full size almost all rental companies for my dates.
First came a Standard with Alamo for $159, then a mid size with Budget for $126, now we have a full size booked with Budget for $108 taxes incl (Costco code and $40 coupon).
I'm not even sure if it can get any lower since base rate for my rental is $77.40 - $40 coupon = $37.40 ($5/day ish) + $70.95 taxes and fees. If it gets much lower and I can still use the coupon, they will be giving me the rental for just the price of the fees and taxes.

Thank you so much for helping me. I am new to all of this. I will book the 200.00 and keep watching!
:flower3:

We have a reservation through alamo too. Can I ask what the $40 discount code is? I currently have a $30 discount but I'm interested in saving money any where I can. TIA
The MUGZ061 has to have the first day be on or before 09/30 and can only be used with W852875. As said above, it's a Costco code. If that's the case, make sure that the coupon code registers. When I do it, sometimes it doesn't take the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter