• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service Dog at WDW

tiberius

DIS Veteran
Does anyone here have, or know where I can find, any helpful information on going to WDW with a service dog (medical assistance type, not guide dog for the visually impaired).
Thanks!

You can go to the following official site and get information on service dogs

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/Plain?id=PlainHomePage#serviceanimals

As a local resident, I get to go to the World with an assisstance dog. and Disney understands how to treat guests and thier service dogs. Many cast members will offer water or be able to direct you to proper backstage break areas. I was at DAK just yesterday and had no problems. The castmembers are also knowlegable on etiquette in relation to service animal

I guessed that an operation like Disney would be able to accomodate our family's needs, thanks a million for the information.

There are a few people who come to this Board a lot who travel with service dogs.
The ones that come to mind right away are videogal1, who travels with Cash, the Wonder Dog; and LindaDVC's husband (I don't know his name or his dog's name, but if I remember right, the dog is a black lab service dog).
Everything I have read about Service dogs at WDW has been as positive as pezter's experience.
(Hi, pezter. Welcome to the DIS Boards and disABILITIES) :wave:
Hopefully someone else with experience will see this when I bump it up.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
There are a few people who come to this Board a lot who travel with service dogs.
The ones that come to mind right away are videogal1, who travels with Cash, the Wonder Dog; and LindaDVC's husband (I don't know his name or his dog's name, but if I remember right, the dog is a black lab service dog).
Everything I have read about Service dogs at WDW has been as positive as pezter's experience.
(Hi, pezter. Welcome to the DIS Boards and disABILITIES) :wave:
Hopefully someone else with experience will see this when I bump it up.
I thought I heard my name......

Hi all,
Cash and I just got back from a pixie-dust filled 2 weeks at WDW. Cash had a great time...(got a tummy upset from the condo's chlorinated water, though) and it's a wonder he returned with any hair left on him at all....All that stealth petting....I got pretty cranky about it towards the end of the vacation...I mean he has really big patches on his gear that say Don't pet me I'm working... Honestly I fear for the literacy of the general adult population.....
What did he like? :

All that petting and attention....the ham
Getting his own water bowl to drink out of in the 50's Prime Time Cafe
The boat rides in Mexico and The LAND.
Cirque de Soleil...he actually watched the show!
What he didn't like? :

Those HUGE furry fake animal things with people inside them that got too close to his handler.....
The fife and drum corps that performed outside the American Pavilion...those high-pitched fife notes scared him to death.
Getting a huge cup of iced soda (accidentally) dumped on his head when he was snoozin at a counter-style food stop

I had ZERO attempts to keep him out of stores and restaurants. He was accepted on all rides that the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities (and my own common sense) permitted...woofed once at the space suits at Mission Space entry....as far as he could go. But he lost 14 pounds and wore at least 1/2 an inch off of each toenail... I should have rested him more.
If I were to recommend a place to take a service dog for a crash course in public behavior and getting used to strange and unexpected situations I'd vote WDW as top of the list. If your service dog can survive a week at WDW, then NOTHING will faze him/her.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for the good information about you and Cash. I am feeling much better for my family's future trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter