~~~~ Sew, it seams this trip wasn't the adventure we had planned! ~~ January 2018! ~~ COMPLETE 5/6!

Following along!! You and your daughters look so happy on the plane! Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

I'm also in MSP, just moved here last year, so I can't wait to read the rest about your flight/travels! We're going in August and definitely want to fly out by noon so we don't have to be at the airport at an ungodly hour, but also so we have time to settle in to our hotel. Lucky you getting out of here in January (I'M FREEEEEEZING)!

So sorry your Target closed! I'm curious where it was?

:wave2:HI Doreen enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more. I've followed along on a few of your past TR's.

I have read all of your trip reports. I love the way you write and your honesty about your life. You are a very inspiring person. I love all your Disney Bags & Ears!!! Amazing:love::worship: I sew and quilt some, but not at your level.

So sorry all did not go as planned.

I usually don't post much, but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Your trip sounds like such fun! Love spending time with my daughter too. We have not been to Disney in many years, but are hoping to go this year. She has a two year son that we can't wait to take. He has renewed our love for all things Disney. Love all the mouse ears..

Here at Page 4!!! Can't wait to read your adventures!!

Hi :wave: joining in. I always love reading your trip reports. This one is even more special since you have both of the girls together.

The pictures of your store are so sad. I showed them to my niece, she's Allison's age, and she couldn't believe how empty it looked. My niece is the accessories manager at my store. I tell people that I'm related to half the people in the store. My son -in-law is my boss ans my daughter works in toys 2 nights a week beside working her day job. Anyway, I told my nice that it could happen to our store when Meyers opens across the street next year.
You've been really busy sewing. All your shirts are so cute. Knits are so much fun to sew with. It's so easy to get the pieces to fit together.
I'm glad you and V. have recovered from the flu. My daughter had a mild case a couple of weeks ago. There's a tamiflu shortage here in Northeast Ohio, luckily she didn't need it.
Now that you explained about the apple juice, bringing makes sense.
Have a good day
Liz

Following along as well. :) I can't wait to read it all.

Hello! I've lurked on some previous TRs and am excited to see this one (though not excited that it seems some things didn't go as planned).

And it was my last week working at Target - after 11.5 years... Forgive all of the pictures - but I did document the sad closing of our store...

Wow - our Target actually closed as well (I think on the same date - I assume that was a company wide thing). It is very sad! I imagine ours had similar issues to yours (not enough sales, not that they weren't selling stuff) because there were always people there!

I went in a couple days before it closed and it was incredibly empty and super weird looking :/

In hindsight - I am glad I took this photo... Allison drove by yesterday - and ALL signage is GONE and the store is boarded up. Already.

Wow! Now I'm kind of morbidly curious to go by ours and see what it looks like.

Anyway, that part is a bit depressing - but at least maybe more $ for Disney? And not working at a job you don't enjoy also sounds like a plus :P

Hi D~! So good to see your TR. LOVE the nails and your amazing talent with creating not only bags and accessories but fashions. Your creativity is inspiring.

I sooooo know the feeling of time is fleeting with your girls. Glad you were able to enjoy time with them despite.... dun dun dun dun... :)

I can't imagine having to say good-bye to Target under those circumstances. So sad that it had to happen to YOUR store.

Trying hard to catch up on a few replies this morning... I know I won't get to all of them, but trying to make a legit dent. ::yes::

Glad to find your TR this morning and looking forward to the rest of it. Sorry things didn't go as planned, but we've dealt with plenty of sick people (kids and adults) on our vacations so we know you just learn to roll with it as much as you can, since it IS still vacation!

Sad about the closing of your store and LOVE the new clothes you've been making yourself. Very cool. Wish I had the patience for that, the best I can do with my sewing machine is some simple basic curtains (valance really) and hemming of pants!

Yay!!! So happy to see you here! :woohoo:

Yah - we definitely didn't prepare for sickness, we have never been sick on vacation before.

Yes - it's so sad, especially now... The entire store is boarded up - yet my coworkers are all still there behind the boards for the next two weeks, packing everything up.

Thank you - I am having way too much fun (and perhaps spending way too much $$ on fabric) creating things... I finally had to make a list yesterday of everything I want to squeeze out of what I currently have. I will be going on a (personal) fabric spending freeze very soon!

I followed your PTR and saw a lot of your pics over on Facebook and Instgram, so I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

I'm sorry you all got sick, but I'm glad you are better now. Tamiflu can really be a lifesaver!

Welcome!!! Thanks - I am super excited to have you here and following along! :lovestruc

Yes - it was such a bummer that we got sick - it was a tough week, but happy and relieved to be feeling better now. :)

How sad that your Target store is now closed.

The clothes you made for your self looks great. You are so talented. It must be great to be able to make clothes with the fabric and fit you want. I really wish I could make my own clothes, but I've never become friends with the sewing machine. So I won't even try to sew anything, because if I do the first thing that happens is that something gets wrong with the machine and then I can't figure out how to fix it

I think the glasses on the second picture looks great on you.

How great that Allison is able to save money. I'm glad to hear Allison and Gus are still dating and that the distance relationship is working.

How great that Victoria also has found a boyfriend and that you and Josh approve
Sounds like both the girls has found good guys to be with

Nothing exciting happening in my end of the world.
I'm still trying to learn how to get my car out of my garage, but it's not easy and I'm nowhere near being able to do it alone with out the guidance from Ulf. Some days it goes OK with the guidance from Ulf, but other days it doesn't go well at all. That is really frustrating. Knock on wood I haven't crashed the car yet.
I now can drive the car into the garage on my own with out too much trouble, but that doesn't help much since I still can't get the car out of the garage on my own.

Yes - it's so sad to see it all closed and boarded up. I wish we would have had some sort of inkling that it was on "a list" to close... I know the community would have changed the outcome. Oh well...

Thanks! Yes - I encourage everyone to try to learn their sewing machine, yet I understand they can be very intimidating and finicky. ::yes::

Thanks! Allison and I picked up our new glasses last night - I can definitely see better. While I was there, I asked them what my prescription was for my favorite glasses (which I still wear) from 4 years ago... Yah - I should retire them, my current prescription is much stronger. I am debating on putting new lenses into them - which is sometimes expensive - but could be worth it - considering that I still wear them quite often, and they are in excellent condition. ::yes::

Yes I agree! :lovestruc

I am hoping that you will be able to be more independent with your new car soon - I cannot imagine how frustrating that must be. :hug:

Ack! Finally here. Had some internet issues that were caused by DH, but better now! Looking forward to the TR, although I know it didn't end as well as you would have liked!

Love the new glasses and of course all the new sewing projects.

Sometimes fate has a way of taking care of problems you don't want to solve--so Target closing has forced you to leave a job you didn't like--pretty much a win in the long run, although I totally understand enjoying the co-workers. It's hard to move on sometimes, but I think you've already found your next adventure so I think you will be happy!

Hah - I know that feeling and how frustrating it can be. Thankfully, since we finally had lines dug in our area last summer - we are able to get high speed that isn't just a wifi type signal... We haven't had any problems or outages since then - and it's very nice. Glad to have you back! :)

Thanks! Allison and I picked up our new glasses last night... The style is a bit to get used to - but I like that I was brave and got something different. ::yes::

Exactly... It's still hard, but I am at peace with my job portion of the decision... It's very nice to have that extra day at home - though I am not doing much extra work at the moment to make up for it... I've been cutting work too close a lot lately due to the time I am spending with dad - so that extra day really helps with that. ::yes::

I'm late to the party, as usual, but happy to be following along and getting to re-live our trip!

Welcome!!! You are never too late here!!! Glad to have you back and following along! :lovestruc

Taking this most recent trip, just Rob and I, was really SO magical!! I bet it would be fun to plan a trip just the two of you so he can rediscover the magic Plus, there is SO much to do that wouldn't involve the big crowds and waiting in line, etc.

It's not stupid at all! It becomes such a part of your life, it's like suffering a death

Nice to see/hear your girls are so happy and that you approve of their choices in partners!

Maybe one day??? It's very possible that he may go with to DLP... I think crowds are much better there? I can't imagine that DLP is as crowded as WDW?

Exactly... I've never wanted to compare it to "death" because that just seems a little heartless, but in all honesty - that's exactly what it is and what I compare it to in my head... There is a definitely grieving process to it - not nearly as profound or emotional as the loss of a loved one - but a process none the less. :hug:

Thanks! It's nice to see them enjoying life - yet working hard and being responsible. ::yes::

You look very slender in this top. I used to make clothes for myself, mostly slacks because store bought ones were never long enough for my long legs and the sleeves in shirts, sweaters and coats were never long enough, either. Then manufacturers started making clothes with longer sleeves and I didn't have to sew anymore. I still have trouble with slacks, though.

I'm glad that you were able to get some goodby pictures. I would think it would be something of a relief not to go to a job that you didn't like.

That trip sounds like fun.

Thank you! (I may have been holding my breath? :lmao: ) I am finding - the older I get, and the more time I have on my hands, the more I have an intense desire to be creating... Not sure if it's genetic??? LOL I was talking to my aunt yesterday - who is in her 80s, and she was telling me about all of the quilting projects she is working on and how gratifying it is for her... and I thought to myself - I sure hope I am able to be creative at that age. ::yes::

The job part is very much a relief... The missing of the co-workers and a place to run errands and grab coffee - that's the hard part for me.

It should be a lot of fun - I am looking forward to it. ::yes::

Wow! I did not realize your flight was so late. From reading your responses, it sounds like you didn’t like the late flight. I’m finding myself in the same position for our June trip. I can get cheap flights - like $67 - if we fly out later than I like. One flight has us getting in around 7:30 and the other flight around 9:00. If we took the flight that lands at 7:30, we probably won’t get to Disney until 9:00. If we take the other flight, we are considering staying at the hotel in the airport and going to Disney in the morning. I seriously don’t know what to do. Do you have any suggestions???

Looking at the photos of Target is sad. Even though it wasn’t your favorite job, it’s sad that you’ll no longer be working with the people you are now friends with. Hopefully you’ll still get to see them.

Side note - Were you effected (traffic, etc) by the Super Bowl at all? If I remember correctly, you live near the Mall of America. I’m not an Eagles fan (Steelers fan here), but I live about 1 1/2 hours from Philly. It’s all that’s been on TV. I’m kind of glad it’s over.

Yah - we did not enjoy the late flight... We didn't land until 10:45pm Orlando time - we didn't get to our resort until Midnight... We won't be doing that again. LOL The only nice thing was that it was a non-stop flight. ::yes:: Getting in around 7:30 wouldn't be terrible... I think (personally) 9pm is pushing it. :scratchin I think staying at a nearby hotel is a good option - but only if you land later than 9... If you land at 9, you should still be able to get to your resort by 11... Again - I think the 7:30 flight is better though. :)

I will get to see many of my Target co-workers... the majority of them went to other stores - and they are stores that I will go to occasionally. However, many of my other co-workers took the severance package and scattered to the wind... It is those people I will miss the most, as I have no idea when and were I will see them?

Not affected at all... We live far enough away from the mess of the city - so, as long as we don't go there, we are fine. ::yes:: And we aren't football fans at all (hockey and baseball here) - so I am not even sure if Josh watched the game? :)

This is what happens when I work all weekend!! So far behind.

You are totally fine!!! :woohoo: Happy to have you here and following along again.

Yay! Can’t wait.....I’m all packed
:beach:

Great... I still need to unpack from Disney. LOL I unpacked all of my carry on luggage, but my checked luggage - minus the laundry I took out to wash - everything I didn't wear is still packed... I need to get a move on it. LOL

Following along Love the nails, I heartily approve of everyday sparkle added to every day life as well as trips. Just waiting another week or so for a damaged bit to grow out and I'll be back to pretty and sparkly again. Glad you are all feeling better. Love the tops you have made, especially glad to see you wearing your Toy Story cow print shirt in one of the pictures. You got me motivated to dust off my sewing machine to get started on the alterations for DD24's wedding top and skirt. Not too bad to do, even with the broken arm. First physio appointment was today, and I have a goal to be feeling mostly better before I leave for my trip in 6 weeks. I'm looking forward to the Florida sunshine baking into those bones!

ETA - love the second frames, it's always nice to have some choices if you wear glasses every day like I do as well. Also, so sad about your Target - I think retail corporations get very tied up in the dollars and cents, and do not factor any humanity into their decisions.

Awesome! Thank you! Yes, I am trying really hard to keep these nails on for another week - then I will get them filled and redone for my trip to see Suzi - but Lord, I don't know if I will make it that long? They are so long now, they are driving me mad! I can hardly type, and treading my sewing machine needles is very difficult. I may cave sooner rather than later? LOL

I was so happy to be able to wear my Toy Story shirt... It was very hot that day, but I was able to wear it that morning, and into the park - the first thing we did was to meet Woody and Buzz, so I could change right away. I just wanted to get that one picture. LOL

:woohoo: for digging out your sewing machine! I hope all of the alterations go well! :)

And I hope you are feeling great in time for your trip!!! Sending pixie dust your way! :lovestruc

Thanks! Allison and I picked up our new glasses last night... I am at the point in my life where I have to wear them full-time. I am glad that I branched out and got something more fun this time - they are definitely a bit outside my typical style - but I am told that they are definitely coming back... So, we'll see if I look like an idiot - or if lots of people will start wearing them again? LOL

Exactly... I am really quite bitter and sad about Target's decision... I feel very much like the "rug was pulled out from under me"... Yet - at the same time - I am very much at peace about the job portion of it - I was beyond ready to end that area of my life. ::yes:: It's just my friends/co-workers and watching them struggle that was hard - and then the decline and closing of the store itself too...

Not to worry! Glad you are all feeling better! My daughter got some of the flu bugs going around but fortunately it wasn’t that bad and she only missed 2 days of school. It’s so sad to see your Target like that. I would be so sad if the one that’s minutes away closed, I would t know what to do

Thank you for posting the link!!

Thanks! We are happy to be back to normal... V still has a straggling cough (2 weeks later) - but other than that, we are all healthy. ::yes:: Glad to hear that your dd recovered quickly.

Yes - it was very hard to watch it decline... I really hate, too, that I have to go so much further to shop at Target... We have a Super Walmart across the street, and of all the Walmarts in the area - it's the nicest and easiest one to shop at, but I still prefer Target.

No problem... I am happy that I was able to find it easily. LOL

*************************************************************************************************************

OK - no big updates today...

I'll try to do more replies tomorrow, so I can do a few TR updates over the weekend.

I hope you all are having a great week! :lovestruc Prayers and pixie dust to all! :grouphug:

D~

HIgh, I’m Andrea. I’m looking forward to reading this trip report.

Please PM me a link to your online store. : o ). I love your mickey ears!

Can’t wait to read all about your trip.

Yay!!!! Welcome!!! :woohoo:

Following along!! You and your daughters look so happy on the plane! Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Thanks!!! This was a much anticipated trip - and we were soooo excited to finally be leaving!

Great report. Like.

Welcome & thank you... I hope you continue to enjoy it. :)

Following along

Welcome!!! Happy to have you here and following along! :)

I'm also in MSP, just moved here last year, so I can't wait to read the rest about your flight/travels! We're going in August and definitely want to fly out by noon so we don't have to be at the airport at an ungodly hour, but also so we have time to settle in to our hotel. Lucky you getting out of here in January (I'M FREEEEEEZING)!

So sorry your Target closed! I'm curious where it was?

Welcome! And welcome to MN! I definitely recommend flying out before noon - it's just so nice to have that time to settle and get the "feel" of your resort. And personally - I prefer flying out of the little airport - it's never as busy and much less confusing. ::yes::

A good down coat (I highly recommend Eddie Bauer) will help a lot with the freezing! ::yes:: As a lifetime Minnesotan - I only discovered EB down coats this year - and I feel a bit foolish that it took me this long - I've never been so warm! LOL

My Target was in the south metro... I don't really like posting where I live publicly. :lovestruc

HI Doreen enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more. I've followed along on a few of your past TR's.

Welcome back!!!! It's great to see you again! :)

I've only read your intro and I'm so excited about your BAGS!! Do you have an Etsy shop?

Thank you!!! I truly enjoy making them. Sorry, I do not have an Etsy shop. :)

I have read all of your trip reports. I love the way you write and your honesty about your life. You are a very inspiring person. I love all your Disney Bags & Ears!!! I sew and quilt some, but not at your level.

So sorry all did not go as planned.

I usually don't post much, but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

WOW!!!! Thank you - that is such a nice compliment! Super happy to have you here and following along again. :)

Yah - this is the first trip where it didn't go quite the way we planned it... We still had fun, but it just wasn't how we wanted it to be... I don't want to give too much away yet... Gotta keep it interesting. LOL

Thank you!

Your trip sounds like such fun! Love spending time with my daughter too. We have not been to Disney in many years, but are hoping to go this year. She has a two year son that we can't wait to take. He has renewed our love for all things Disney. Love all the mouse ears..

Ooooh fun!!!! One day - I will have grands too (though hopefully not too soon...) and I look forward to renewing the Disney love in the next generation! :lovestruc I sure hope you are able to take your trip this year!

Thank you! :lovestruc

I'm here and excited to follow along.

Yay!!! Welcome back!!!! :hug:

Here at Page 4!!! Can't wait to read your adventures!!

Carol!!!! I am so happy you found me... I was going to send PMs out to everyone - and then I forgot... Super happy to have you here, my friend! :hug:

I'm SEW ready! Joining in

Yay!!! :woohoo: Welcome back!!!!

Hi joining in. I always love reading your trip reports. This one is even more special since you have both of the girls together.

Welcome!!! Super happy to see you following along again! :) I know... I was so delighted to have BOTH of my girls with me in WDW again! It truly meant so much!

The pictures of your store are so sad. I showed them to my niece, she's Allison's age, and she couldn't believe how empty it looked. My niece is the accessories manager at my store. I tell people that I'm related to half the people in the store. My son -in-law is my boss ans my daughter works in toys 2 nights a week beside working her day job. Anyway, I told my nice that it could happen to our store when Meyers opens across the street next year.
You've been really busy sewing. All your shirts are so cute. Knits are so much fun to sew with. It's so easy to get the pieces to fit together.
I'm glad you and V. have recovered from the flu. My daughter had a mild case a couple of weeks ago. There's a tamiflu shortage here in Northeast Ohio, luckily she didn't need it.
Now that you explained about the apple juice, bringing makes sense.
Have a good day
Liz

Right??? It was so terrible and so sad to watch it decline. It got to the point, over the last few weeks, where I would just go and do my "spin around the store", but I wouldn't buy anything because there was nothing there to buy. It was so sad.

Hahaha - I didn't realize you were related to everyone there. LOL That is awesome!

Thanks!!! I am having way more fun than I rightfully should - sewing my own stuff... It's a little crazy! LOL

I've heard there is a Tamiful shortage in many places - Florida included... I am just relieved that we are over it. It wasn't fun! And I was so worried that I would get Allison and Josh sick - I slept on the couch for the first 4 nights after we came home from our trip - and believe me, I wanted nothing more than my own bed. ::yes::

Have a great rest of your week Liz! :)

Following along as well. :) I can't wait to read it all.

Welcome!!! I am super happy to have you here and following along! :)

Hello! I've lurked on some previous TRs and am excited to see this one (though not excited that it seems some things didn't go as planned).

Wow - our Target actually closed as well (I think on the same date - I assume that was a company wide thing). It is very sad! I imagine ours had similar issues to yours (not enough sales, not that they weren't selling stuff) because there were always people there!

I went in a couple days before it closed and it was incredibly empty and super weird looking

Wow! Now I'm kind of morbidly curious to go by ours and see what it looks like.

Anyway, that part is a bit depressing - but at least maybe more $ for Disney? And not working at a job you don't enjoy also sounds like a plus

Welcome!!! And thanks for de-lurking! :) I love to "meet" everyone who is reading along!

Yes - they all closed on Feb 3... It was the end of the ad "week" - it was also the end of the "year" and the best time of year, because inventory is due, but easier to do with an empty store... And I am sure a bunch of other variables that I don't know about. LOL

Exactly... It's not as if we weren't making our "projected sales" (I know this for a fact) - it's that we weren't surpassing them as much as other stores did... That's the incredible part... It just wasn't enough. Now, if it were me, and I worked at another smaller Target store... I'd be very worried for the future of my store... There are still a few smaller stores in our Metro area - and being so close to Corporate, I always assumed we were "safe", but now I feel like there are many stores in danger of closing... So sad.

I have one more photo to share... This is a photo from our local paper... Exactly 24 hours after the store officially closed... It's hard to believe! I am curious if your store looks the same??? Or if we are just "special" because corporate is so close to us and can monitor this progress?

A6BBB6F9-B77D-48F7-8DDC-A5894472117B.jpg

But yes... I am very happy to have the "job" portion of this decided for me... I will miss my discount, but not the job itself. ::yes::

Anyways - welcome! Happy to have you here! :)

Hi D~! So good to see your TR. LOVE the nails and your amazing talent with creating not only bags and accessories but fashions. Your creativity is inspiring.

I sooooo know the feeling of time is fleeting with your girls. Glad you were able to enjoy time with them despite.... dun dun dun dun...

I can't imagine having to say good-bye to Target under those circumstances. So sad that it had to happen to YOUR store.

BRENDA!!!!! :woohoo: It's great to see you here - I didn't know you were still here and posting. Welcome!

Yah - it's almost a feeling of dread, isn't it? But you have a new little guy to rejoice!!! Congratulations again!!!

Yah - it was hard to watch... and it's no fun having to drive further to shop... But in a few weeks, once our store is cleaned out - I will be able to see some of my co-workers again (the ones who took the transfer) at other stores - so that will be fun. My 2 favorite Baristas moved to 2 different Starbucks - one stand alone store and one in the Target I plan to shop in most - so it will be nice to be able to see them... And then a few of my favorite co-workers also went to that same Target store... So it will be *almost* like going to my own store, but not quite... :) And more $$ for my Disney/travel budget. LOL

It's great having you here and following along... Do you have a TR going now?

HIgh, I’m Andrea. I’m looking forward to reading this trip report.

Please PM me a link to your online store. : o ). I love your mickey ears!

Hi Andrea!!! Welcome! Super happy to have you here and following along.

Thank you so much - I enjoy making them and wearing them on our trips! Sorry - I am not allowed to talk about my bags and ears here on the Dis - it's considered soliciting and I could be banned. :) I hope you understand and will continue to follow my TR and enjoy the read just the same. :)

**************************************************************************************************************

:woohoo:

All caught up on replies!!! Just in time for my weekend updates! I hope to knock out a few this weekend... To include our arrival, our first park day and a few Dismeets too! So, be watching for those updates all this weekend! ::yes::

Just a short little life update here... I've been super busy working and creating stuff this week - in prep for my trip to see Suzi soon... I have no idea what my life would be like if I couldn't create? It would be so boring - I think.

Allison and I picked up our new glasses the other night... I am still a little unsure of this style, but I sure can see better with them on. LOL Allison is VERY unsure of the same style she chose and has yet to wear them in public... I say "who cares" and rock them anyways. ::yes::

With a hat (Hello, it's MN and I want to be warm!) and without a hat. :lmao:

019B75D3-BFE5-434D-887D-506424E95B74.jpg
B3096555-9CFF-4DFC-97F1-875A7314F18A.jpg

Ummmm... What else? Nothing... Just working... Having lunch with Dad... Not shopping at Target... :scratchin And not drinking Starbucks... ::yes:: Eventually I will make the drive and do all the things - but for right now, I am just so busy, and don't have the time.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day - so I will be running errands all day...

And this weekend - I will be updating here like a mad-woman! :woohoo:

Have a fabulous Thursday all!!! :grouphug: Prayers and pixie dust to everyone! :lovestruc

D~

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter