Share your "small joys" of cruising!

merfsko

DIS Veteran
Hey all! I would looove to hear some of your favourite small joys while cruising with DCL.

There are, of course, many big (and/or medium)-sized fun that is more scheduled- immersing myself in the shows, saying hello to favourite characters, indulging in the many dining options, trying my hand at trivia and crafts...

But what are the small joys that you cherish and look forward to, or moments that you love to soak up? I have only done a handful cruises, so am still learning mine, but I would start with:
  • reading a good, fluffy book out on deck
  • ordering room service and having a lunch/snack while watching an animated classic film on the TV
  • the towel animals :)
  • taking time to just walk through the hallways to look at all the decorated doors (and maybe leave a surprise birthday or congrats card or two where applicable)
  • on the last night, going on a midnight stroll around the open decks- it's always so quiet and a great way to soak up some of the final moments of peace and magic
Some of your small joys might overlap with the bigger, scheduled fun, which works too!

Last edited:
Great thread! :thumbsup2

I'm sure I'll come up with many more as I think about it but for now...

I specifically prefer a forward room, especially on the Dream and Fantasy. The reason being is I enjoy that morning walk along the pool deck on the way to Cabanas. Also, the late night walk back to the room from the District/Europa, when the atrium is so peaceful and beautiful (except for the occasional bunch of teens around(nothing wrong with that)).

Also, when I hear the song, I'm Yours on the music loop in the adult pool areas. This started by accident. I must have heard the song subconsciously many times. Then once years ago at home I heard it on the radio and it just brought me to the ship in my mind. Now I totally associate that song with lounging on the deck, almost like I'm hypnotized. :laughing: So as soon as I hear that song on board, and it's usually on the first day even before the lifeboat drill, I just get that "I'm on a cruise, its time to relax" feel.:goodvibes If they ever remove it from the loop I'll be devastated. ;)

I love walking around Deck 4 and looking out at the water, especially at night when we're out at sea. Spotting another ship in the distance is fun!

We were delighted to discover that the stage shows were available on the stateroom TV, so we had the chance to watch another showing of Disney's Believe after seeing it in the theatre. It's pre-recorded so it was interesting to see a different Genie. We grabbed some room service and a glass of wine as a fun way to end the night.

Sunsets from Deck 4 Promenade (I will get up from dinner if necessary)

Mickey bars, Churro Mickey waffles, Palo chocolate soufflé

Adult Trivia (not Disney - too hard), especially in O’Gill’s in the Magic

Movies in Buena Vista Theater

Late night Funnelvision movies - usually with pizza or fries (and unlimited Coke)

Being handed your KTTW card

The Bibbidi Bobbodi Booked! email

The Nemo screens in Animator’s Palate

Seeing children interact with characters

Fireworks

The gentle soundtrack as a background - not in your face

Knowing the crew has left their families to better their lives; and they work so hard with a smile

Castaway Cay - lunch at Serenity Bay BBQ - the clear, calm water

The blue ocean - islands - and distant places

The feeling of returning to a place where I have fond memories

Okay, not just seeing children interact with characters - I enjoy it, too. I just didn’t do the lines. It’s running into them in a hallway or interacting with Rapunzel in her restaurant.
Oooh, yes! When I cruised the Magic for the British Isles, there weren't a huge number of kids on board in the first place, and we had second dinner. When people were invited to join Rapunzel dancing around the restaurant, our server grabbed me out of my seat so that I could start the line. I was 28, and probably not the intended demographic, but holding hands and dancing with Rapunzel was definitely a core memory!

Relaxing on the Promenade deck on sea days.

Walking around the ship later at night when it is mostly empty.

Keeping the navigation channel on in the room, enjoying the music loop.

Eating foods I don't eat anywhere else (like escargot)

Mine are:

Sitting on deck 4 on a sea day in one of the deck chairs reading my book and watching the waves. And sometimes even have a character walk by.

Spending sail away from your port on the top deck forward and watch the views as the ship leaves out of port. Some ports have amazing scenery.

Getting late night snacks from the mini buffet in the adult area. Especially carrot sticks with ranch dressing (I love ranch and it’s not a thing in Germany where we live).

Talking to crew members during the captain’s reception (or even other evenings between the dinner seatings) in the atrium about what their role is on the ship.

Getting up really early to see the sun rise with a handful of other passengers. Everyone just quietly watching the sky.

Snorkeling at castaway cay-just floating and having the fish swim all around you.

Walking around deck 4 - watching and hearing the waves

That first glass of champagne on board

Talking to the crew. learning about them, where they are from. About their families

Free Cove Cafe snacks, pastries during the day and olives/cheese/bread sticks at night. Last 2 cruises we were an all adult party, so we'd sit in the comfy chairs in the adult pool area at night after the show, snacking on the savory Cove Cafe snacks, french fries, and pizza.

While this is a "small joy", we do enjoy it so much that we're reluctant to sail the Triton class since they don't have the snack case.

Peacefulness - enjoying an early morning cup of coffee/tea out on deck - watching the sunrise and meeting up with friends like @Calantha or @auntlynne on deck

The fact that everything is taken care of - by that - all meals are planned for you; all food cooked for you; all dishes cleaned for you; all entertainment options planned for you - you just pick what you want; you can just show up and enjoy yourself; also the fact that most of your expenses are taken care of before you set sail on the ship - since cruise fare pays for hotel room; food; all standard beverages; all entertainment -

we don't buy internet or have an international cell phone plan so the ability to disconnect from electronics (mostly except for the app) and just spend time with each other instead of our phones

We enjoy trying different foods/new foods that we may not eat regularly or even at all

It's all about the ocean for us. The sight, smell, sound and motion of the ocean.
And I am happy for those who suffer from motion sickness that stabilizers on ships have made even the roughest seas feel smooth, but my last cruise was too smooth. Never felt like I was on a ship.
Mind you, my first cruise was on a small ship, 650 passenger ship built in 1957 without stabilizers. My favorite times on that cruise were when you could stand in the hall and watch the other end of the hall rise and fall in rough seas.

While this is a "small joy", we do enjoy it so much that we're reluctant to sail the Triton class since they don't have the snack case.
They don’t have this??? Wow! It’s one of my favorites, too. One cruise when there was illness going around they stopped having these snacks and it really spoiled my cruise experience a bit. Really puts me off the Triton class now as well…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter