• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I Book A Placeholder On Board?

Thank you. Just so we understand correctly
It's 2 placeholder for the same curise sail dates, per household address? Not 2 different sail dates/ships?
Looking ahead, nice thing is that, with your Fantasy B2B next year, you would be able to book a placeholder on each cruise, so will end up with two Placeholders you could then use for future B2Bs.

Losing the OBC on my latest cruise reservation was very disappointing!

Is there a way to find out the "blackout" dates before we get on board? That might help to decide if going through TA to get more OBC versus booking while onboard and then transferring... With a family of 5 on a 7 day cruise the 10% discount through DCL then transferring to TA for OBC would be better financially if we could get that- but if not eligible for the 10% discount due to blackout date then would be best to just book through TA since no more OBC through DCL - right? I think I am understanding correctly but it's early and I've only had 1 cup of coffee :)

I only found out recently that DCL no longer offers the OBC with the placeholder. For my upcoming cruise, mine will still be honored but that is the last time I'll get it. It is definitely a bummer and I'm not sure I'll get get a placeholder during my next cruise. The 10% is really the only incentive at this point but i find a lot of cruises I want to go on are GTY anyway so you lose your 10%.

Decisions....decisions....

Ah so if I do a placeholder with DCL and get that transferred to Dreams...I'll get the OBC but lose the 10%. ?

Ah so if I do a placeholder with DCL and get that transferred to Dreams...I'll get the OBC but lose the 10%. ?
I don’t think so. You are adding Dream’s OBC to the 10% discount. That’s my understanding.

No.

DCL gives a 10% discount on future cruises booked on board or with a placeholder.

DU gives on board credit based on the amount of your cruise fare. You can look up amounts on their website, but it is roughly 5%.

If you transfer the OBB to a travel agent after booking, you will retain your 10% discount and receive the OBC from your agent. The caveat is that the agent might reduce your benefit because Disney pays them less to accept a transferred booking. You will still come out ahead by combining the offers.

If we were to book another cruise, it would likely be during a blackout week (Easter 2021)... is there ANY reason to book onboard since there isn't a discount?

Looking ahead, nice thing is that, with your Fantasy B2B next year, you would be able to book a placeholder on each cruise, so will end up with two Placeholders you could then use for future B2Bs.

Oh amazing! Did not even think about that!!! Thank you so much. That certainly sounds like a great plan. Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter